You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "bighope2009" started this thread

Reg: Apr 9th 2009

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 1:02pm

IVF/PGD???

Hello everyone... I'm new to this message board but I have been reading your posts and I like the way you ladies support each other :smile:

My DH and I are both carriers of a genetic trait, which if both were passed on to any child, she/he would be having a very serious genetic disease!! For this reason we've decided to have PGD.

We both provided blood a few weeks ago and we'll have to wait some months on blood work while they look at our genetic markers (kind of DNA analysis) before starting the procedure. It has taken us a year to get to this point and the waiting is very frustrating!!!

I'm sure there are lots of people having or waiting to have PGD. I'm very anxious about everything and desperate to hear from you if you have any experiences to share!

I hope that I'm posting on the correct board ?(

Bighope x

We have an :angel2: in heaven

When there's hope, anything is possible!

20/10/09 :BFP:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "bighope2009" (Apr 9th 2009, 1:04pm)

Reg: Feb 9th 2009

Children: One precious little son born 2/2/10

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 4:35pm

Hi Bighope welcome to FZ. My DH and I have just started our first round of ICSI today. Like you my DH has genetic problems and we had to wait an extra year for the genetics to be worked on and for them to find the right probes. I don't know what the time limit is for your clinic but if you ask I'm sure that they'll be able to give you a rough estimate. Good luck with your treatment and I'm sure you'll find answers to lots of your questions on here.

Christine xx

Keep happy and healthy xxx

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 5:12pm

Hi Bighope and welcome to FZ! :D I hope you feel welcome here as everyone is lovely. We'll do our best to help you through this IVF PGD cycle.

I've had two ICSI cycles and two miscarriages before they discovered that I have a balanced chromosome translocation, so this means that I have a high chance of miscarriage and/ or a child with serious disabilities, so I'm waiting to start a PGD cycle. My probes are being made at the moment and I've been told that they wil be ready for me to start on the drugs again next month.

As far as I am aware (but I may be wrong) HappyChristine and I are the only PGD ladies on this forum, but we'll be able to share any updates with you. Where are you having your tx? I am at Guy's in London.

Do you and your DH have the same genetic trait or do you have translocations? I hope you don't mind me asking, it's fascinating stuff.

I hope you hear about starting soon, please ask any questions or let us know your concerns, this a great place to share thoughts.

good luck and babydust for you x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 5:17pm

Hi Bighope,
Just wanted to say :hello:
And welcome you to FZ.
And wish you lots of luck with your PGD + IVF
wtw
xxx

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 8:13pm

RE: IVF/PGD???

Hi ladies...thanks a lot for ur responses :smile:

Well, u won't believe how much I've read about the whole process but hearing about it from other people would be more interesting and encouraging! I know it's a long journey which can be very disappointing sometimes but i still believe it's worth it!

We are having the treatment in London at UCLH ACU. We don't live there though so we are very worried about all the travelling for appointments!

We've been told that the blood work would take around 3 months but I can't stand the wait!!!

My DH and I have different genetic traits but if both were passed on, the baby can have a very serious disease.

Christine - I can see at the bottom of your message that you have started down regulation today.....really exciting!!! Wish you the best of luck :happy:

Ros - Glad that you are starting on the drugs soon :happy:

I have loads of questions to ask both of you so let me start by asking how long the cycle takes, i.e., since u start the drugs till u have the embryos transferred? Do u have to start the drugs at a specific time before or after your periods?

Pls keep me posted and let me know how things are going.

Best wishes

Bighope xx

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "bighope2009" (Apr 9th 2009, 8:15pm)

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 9:11pm

Hi Bighope As you have noted I got my DR injection today which is day 21 of my cycle. I now have baseline scan on 22nd and start stims on 24th. If all goes as it should then I'm EC on 8th May and one cell from each embryo will be taken on the 11th and the genetasist will check them on the 11th then I will have two put back in on the 12th. Preg test is then scheduled for the 25th May. So all in all it will take about one and a half months from start of drugs to preg test. That is my experience but other people have a shorter protocol. At Glasgow Royal they are sharing a genetasist at present so they only have certain dates. Your clinic may have one about all the time and therefore not be so stuck for dates. It's good that your probes will only take 3 months as I said before we had to wait an extra year. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask and if I can help I will.

Christine xx

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 10:49pm

Thanks a lot for the information Christine. It helped a lot :smile:

I have loads of questions but I'll keep them for later so you don't get fed up with me! :cross: I've been struggling to find someone who has experience with PGD and I'm soooooo glad that at last I've found you and Ros on this message board :happy:

Good luck with your DR injections. By the way, are you giving yourself the injections or is it your DH or someone else who's giving them to you?

Bighope2009 x

Friday, April 10th 2009, 10:37am

Morning Bighope for my DR I only had one injection which I got at the hospital and that lasts for a month. They said yest that I'll need snuff towards the end just so that they can keep control. I start my stim injections on the 24th and I'll do them myself, not looking forward to it. Although my DH has said he would do them for me. I'm also a nurse so I have a few friends who would do it for me. I'll never get fed up with your questions and if I can help I certainly will. Have a good Easter and relax over the weekend.

Christine xx

Ros

Megastar

Friday, April 10th 2009, 1:32pm

Hi Bighope and Christine,

Bighope, the drugs and timings for PGD IVF will be just the same as with 'normal' IVF/ ICSI so you'll find tons of info on the IVF/ICSI pages on here and from all the other IVF/ICSI ladies. The only differences are that a) they have to spend 3 months getting the probes ready to start off with and b) that they remove one cell from each embryo on day 3 after EC and hopefully there will be some good ones to put back on day 5 after EC.

Christine is right that it takes approx 4 weeks of drugs to get to EC and then it's 2 more weeks until you can test to see if it has worked. There are more stages to go through after EC for PGD but fingers crossed it will go smoothly for you. Most people sniff or inject the DR drugs every day for two weeks before the baseline scan and stimms starting, a few (like Chistine) get one injection at the beginning - sounds like a good way to do it to me! I've always injected myself for the 4 weeks, it really isn't that bad, sometimes you can't feel anything at all, there's always the one which hurts a bit, but if you remember why you're doing it then it's no problem at all.

Please have a look around the IVF pages, I think that the more that you can be informed about what's going to happen, then easier it will be.

Christine, hope you're feeling ok after the injection.

Have a good Easter weekend both x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,

Friday, April 10th 2009, 6:23pm

Hi Ros I'm feeling fine today just a little tired but not sure if that is just all the stress. I'm at work for the next 4 days so no Easter for me but hope you all have a great one. I have a list of jobs for DH to do while he is off. Take care

Christine xx

Friday, April 10th 2009, 11:11pm

Bighope xxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "bighope2009" (Apr 10th 2009, 11:19pm)

Friday, April 10th 2009, 11:18pm

Christine & Ros.....Thanks a lot 4 all ur help and support which is really what I needed at this stressful time. Not being able to share this with anyone was getting me very down! You both made me feel very welcomed on this board and more positive about the whole process blowkiss blowkiss

Christine - Sounds really good that you got one injection which lasts for a month and hope you won't have any of the side effects, and even if u did, it's all worth it at the end :smile:

Ros - Thanks for the information and I'll definitely have a look around the IVF pages.

Now I've got a new question.....We were told that we would need to go to the hospital every other day for around 2 weeks but they didn't mention at which stage that would be. Do you have any idea? Is it as you get closer to ER? We are planning 2 stay in London during those 2 weeks rather than taking the train there every other day!

Another question pls but this has nothing to do with PGD…I know it might sound daft but I’ve been trying to add an image under my username or my signature but it’s not working :cross:!! Any advice ?(?

Wish you both a very happy and blessed Easter!

Bighope xxx

Friday, April 10th 2009, 11:32pm

Hi Bighope according to the dates that I have got planning all my treatment it appears that I'm there a week after starting stims and then it's three days and then every second day for bloods and scan prior to EC. So as far as I can see for me it's during stims so they can see how you are reacting to drugs. Hope this longwinded response helps. Have a good weekend.

Christine xx

Saturday, April 11th 2009, 12:03am

It did help Christine. Thanks a lot :smile:! I'm just too curious to know about everything :rolleyes:

Good luck with all your treatment and fingers crossed you have a lovely result in a few weeks thumbup

Bighope xx

Ros

Megastar

Saturday, April 11th 2009, 10:54am

Hi Bighope, yep, they do frequent scans (maybe every other day) during the last week of stimms, and then you'll need to be around for EC and ET. I hope you have a good stay in London and that without the travelling you get some rest.

Re the Avatar (the picture under your name) have a look here :
** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP **

and follow the instructions. Let me know if you have any more queries with this x

Saturday, April 11th 2009, 12:44pm

Hi Ros, thanks for the help with the avatar. I've read the instructions and realised why it didn't work.....simply because I can do it once I have made 25 posts so hopefully it won't be long before I can add one :happy:

We live in Manchester and going by train isn't bad at all; it takes around 2 hours but still think that staying in London would be better, especially that trains can't be trusted all the time!!! We are not sure if we can afford it though :innocent:; been trying to save as much as we can.

Can I ask you about something pls? You've told me before that your probes are being made at the moment but I can see on the ticker that you know exactly when you are starting your DR, so how could they give you the exact date ?(?

Bighope xx

Ros

Megastar

Saturday, April 11th 2009, 7:04pm

Hi Bighope, I'm glad the avatar query is sorted.

I put my ticker up last week as I was fed up waiting, I have been waiting to start again sinc my last m/c in Oct. I don't have my official letter so say my probes are ready yet but I spoke to my cons last week and he says the lab has assured him I will be able to start next cycle, so I've worked out when my day 21 will be next cycle (assuming I'm on a 26 day cycle which I have been recently) as that is when the drugs start. I know the date could change slightly due to AF but I will go bonkers if my probes are still not ready by then as it will be 8 weeks this Tuesday since they started work on them. Hope all that makes sense!

I think staying in London if you live in Manchester is a good idea, esp over EC/ET time. Not all hotels are expensive but I guess any added cost isn't ideal :(

Sunday, April 12th 2009, 1:23pm

Hi Ros, I can see now that I'm not the only one who's fed up waiting and DESPERATE to start the treatment :happy:. After I knew from you and Christine that DR starts on day 21, I worked out when that will be in two months time (assuming that the probes would be ready in exactly 3 months), so I'm hoping for the first week of July or maybe June if we were sooo lucky and probes were ready earlier! happydance

Well, it feels like forever waiting!!! After being referred to the hospital in London, we waited around 2 months for our first appointment. Then they applied to our PCT for funding and we kept chasing that funding until we had the confirmation 6 months later!! After that, it took our clinic 2 months to send us an appointment for the blood tests and that was after calling them more than 4 times asking what needed to be done to start the procedure. So it has taken us a year to get to this point and the waiting for the blood work now is so frustrating!!!

I'm really really sorry for moaning too much today :O but I'm sure that being in a similar boat, you would understand :smile:.

I'm trying to know as much as I can about the whole process so I can be a bit pushy with our clinic once the probes are ready or even before. So let me ask you this: Are there any tests that need to be done a few weeks before starting DR, i.e., for you in the next few weeks?

Have a Happy Easter Day!

Bighope xx

Ros

Megastar

Sunday, April 12th 2009, 6:17pm

Hi Bighope, you're not moaning, we all need to let out our thoughts, and of course I understand, it's a long wait for non PGD IVF, and the months extra which PGD add onto it all are a nightmare. At least you're through the worst, waiting for funding, I've seen so many people have trouble with this, I decided not to wait and to self fund,. We were told we probably wouldn't get it anyway since we have pais for two ICSI already.

I think you're doing the right thing, finding out as much as possible. I was told it takes approx 8 weeks to make the probes at Guy's, so I guess you could be a June or July DR start as UCL is probably smiliar although I'm not sure.

Re tests, before you start any IVF you'll need blood tests to check for Hepatitis (can't remember which one) and HIV, these don't take long to come back. Your clinic may like to check your hormones and maybe give you an internal scan, I'm not sure if you've had anything like this before? You are right, it is worth asking them to make sure they are all ready, maybe wait until May and start asking. You'll need to fill in some paperwork too, but that's quite quick.

As the HIV/ Hep tests only stand for a year I have to have them again before I start as my last ones have 'run out'. I might have a hycosy scan too as my cons suggested it last Oct before we knew about the chromo issues. I have been asking him if I should get on with these`but I think he is reluctant to do anything before my official 'probes are ready' letter comes out. They know they won't be able to keep me away from the place once I have that :snigger:

Happy Easter to you and Christine. I'd better get ready to go out now, we're off to a Jazz bar this eve ...

x

p.s. not long until 25 posts now, keep posting away! Then you'll be able to set up your own diary and have access to the others

Tuesday, April 14th 2009, 1:16pm

Ros - Hope you had a good time at the jazz bar on Sun eve :happy:. The weather was really nice here yesterday so we went to friends' house for a :bbq:.

Well, we have experienced waiting for NHS funding for both PGD and IVF!!!

My DH and I started trying for a baby around 4 years ago but after a year of nothing, we started all the tests which showed that there was nothing wrong with either of us so the consultant decided to put it as unexplained infertility! It was positive and comforting to know that we were healthy but still it was difficult to have all those tests and not get any reasons to start a treatment at the end. However, we believed that it would happen when the time was right!

Fifteen months later, we saw the consultant again because by that time it started getting harder with every passing month. We applied for funding and while we were on the waiting list for an IVF treatment, I got pregnant naturally!!! We were thrilled when we found out and even more ecstatic and relieved after I did the Ammnio test at week 15 to find out that we didn’t pass the genetic condition to our baby!! Unfortunately, that excitement didn't last long as I had a m/c and lost our little girl when I was 19 weeks (and 4 days) :bawl: :bawl:!

Losing her was and is still devastating and very hard to come to terms to!!! It has now been more than a year and yet it still feels as if it happened yesterday!

PGD wasn’t introduced to us until after the m/c which was when we were explaining to our GP how difficult it would be to have to do the Ammnio test if I got pregnant again!! The thought of not being as lucky as we were with the test the first time was unbearable! Therefore, we found that PGD would be the answer to all our fears and anxieties :smile:.

Re tests, we've done blood tests to check for HIV but not sure if it was for Hepatitis too and I also had an internal scan, so it seems that I've had them all done :happy:. They've mentioned tests called dummy ET and Hycosy which I'm not sure at which stage they need to be done, do they do that at Guy's Hospital?

Christine - Hope your DR is going well.

Bighope x

Ros

Megastar

Tuesday, April 14th 2009, 1:40pm

Hi Bighope, I'm glad you had a good day yesterday, I spent the afternoon gardening and enjoying the sunshine too, it's the best way to relax I think (and great for over tx!)

I'm so sorry you lost your daughter at 19 weeks, that must have been just heartbreaking and devastating, mine have both been at 8 weeks (approx) and that was bad enough. I hope PGD is the answer for us both (and Christine :) ), it does feel like a mountain to climb sometimes, but the more we get thrown at us the stronger I think we become.

I'm glad you've had the tests done, I reckon they will have done Hep when they did HIV, and if you've had an internal scan I guess you won't need anything else. Very few people, at any clinic, have a dummy ET and hycosy before tx, so don't worry about those.

I called Guy's genetics today to ask how my probes are doing, so I'm waiting to hear back from them, it has been 8 weeks today so I'm getting more impatient than ever!

x

Tuesday, April 14th 2009, 9:11pm

Hi Ros and Bighope I'm glad to hear that you both had a great weekend but some poor people had to work which is why I haven't been about for a while. I'm sorry Big hope at the loss of your daughter mine was at 6 weeks and 3 days. Ros I'm sorry to hear about your too but as you said lets hope that PGD is going to be the answer for us all. I was feeling very tired at the weekend, not sure if DR or just tired. Not to bad now. Better go and get DH from work. Take care

Christine xx

Ros

Megastar

Wednesday, April 15th 2009, 1:14pm

Hey Christine, hope you have a chance to put your feet up now, the DR drugs can make you very tired x
Hi Bighope, hope you're having a good day.

There is another PGD lady on here - Nat28 - we're getting quite a club together :snigger:
Christine I saw you met her in the prostap thread x

Wednesday, April 15th 2009, 2:15pm

Hi Ros I did meet nat28 in the prostap tread and I hope she finds her way to the PGD thread. We are increasing our gang all the time. At first I thought I was the only one on here but it is good to talk to others going through PGD as they understand the process better. Thanks to all for all your support so far.

Christine xx

Reg: Apr 14th 2009

Children: Blessed with a wee girl on 12.03.10 and a boy on 30.01.12.....perfection

Wednesday, April 15th 2009, 9:09pm

Hello PGD ladies :smile:

I have found you :happy: I have been reading your posts to each other and think its great that we can share our experiences with each other. I see Christine that you are at Glasgow Royal also. I am finding the whole "selected dates" thing very confusing as my body does not have a normal cycle never mind having to fit around the genetisist X(

A wee bit about me and DH:

We attended our GP in August 2007 and he sent us a referral to Glasgow Royal. We got our appointment in July 2008 and then they realised that my DH had a low sperm count. I also have very irregular periods and that was the reason we were referred as we thought I wasn't ovulating. Anyway, more tests were done and we went back to the hospital in August 2008 and they told us DH was a carrier of CF but I was ok so ICSI would be the treatment for us......2 days later they phoned me at home and told me DH has a balanced translocation for 2 of his choromsones so we then went back in October 2008 and all the PGD treatment was explained to us. Our probes were ready really quickly as they said could take up to 1 year but they were ready February 2009 so here we are with a proposed date of June 2009.
Natalie

1ST ICSI/PGD - JUNE 2009 = :BFP:

2nd ICSI/PGD - MAY 2011 = :BFP:

Thursday, April 16th 2009, 12:45am

Hi everyone,

Glad to have a new lady with us here :smile:. Welcome to FF and IVF/PGD thread, Nat28 :hi:. I think sharing our PGD journeys with each other is great and it is the only way to handle this emotional and physical process, otherwise it will overcome us X( !!. To know that you are not alone is of tremendous help - Thank you ladies! :thanx:

Well, it seems that we are starting our treatments one after another :smile:. Christine you've already started (April), next it's you Ros (May), after that it's you Nat (June) and hopefully it's me then (July if not June with you Nat) :dancing:. So hopefully, we'll all get our little miracles in 2010! :thumbsup2:

Ros - Have you heard from Guy's genetics about your probes yet?

Christine - Glad you are not having any of the side effects I've heard about DR injection and hope things go smoothly for you at all the stages :pray:

Nat28 - I'm the least experienced here so I can't offer much advice really :innocent: but I can tell you that I've learned a lot since I've joined FF, and thanks to Ros and Christine of course :hugs:

Bighope x

Ros

Megastar

Thursday, April 16th 2009, 11:55am

Hey ladies, I'm off work with a horrid cold so can sit on FZ all day :D

Glad you've found us Nat28 :) Do you mind me asking which chromosomes your DH has a balanced translocation for? Not that I will know what it means, I just think it's imteresting! Mine are 1 and 20. They all mean different things though.

I heard from Guy's - they say there is still 2-3 weeks left making and testing my probes as loads of the embryologists are on hols...grrrrrr....I said that my day 21 next cycle will be approx 17th May so they need to be ready for then - my cons did say I could start next cycle, so fingers crossed they get a move on with it ... I'm glad I've given them the date now though.

Hi Bighope, hope you're having a good day, and hi Christine, only a few days until you start stimms now - exciting! x

Children: Blessed with a wee girl on 12.03.10 and a boy on 30.01.12.....perfection

Thursday, April 16th 2009, 12:19pm

Hi everyone,

I`m at work so this will be a short message :innocent: Will probably be on mostly in the evening as really paranoid that someone in work sees me as don't want people to know!!

Ros in answer to your question DH has balanced translocations in chromosones 13 and 14. Apparantly they are the most common ones so our probes were made quite quickly!!

Ok better shoot off and maybe be on later.

Hope you are all having a fab day :D

Nat x
Natalie

Ros

Megastar

Thursday, April 16th 2009, 12:33pm

I know what you mean Nat, I try to hide being on FZ at work as much as possible. My lovely colleague who sits next to me must have seen it but I don't care as he knows about my m/c and IVF anyway.

Wow, that is interesting that 13 & 14 are a common translocation, I wonder why. My probes are taking ages to make (or it seems like it), they said my translocation and the point at which they have broken off is unique, but there again, that's quite a common thing too if you imagine how much DNA there is!

Thursday, April 16th 2009, 2:50pm

Hi ladies,

Sorry to hear you have a cold Ros and hope you get better soon. Even if your probes need another 2-3 weeks to be ready, you still have a big chance to start next month thumbup . Hospitals sometimes don't understand how stressful time delay is for us :cross:! Hang in there though and ring them again once you start your April AF and give them the date.

Now let me ask all of you something. How hard or easy have you found it to tell other people, whether colleagues at work or friends, that you are having IVF/PGD? Because to be honest, I haven't told anyone at all! I just feel nobody can understand what we are going through unless they've experienced it ?( ! It would be interesting to know what you think about that and how you feel about it :smile:.

Bighope x

Ros

Megastar

Thursday, April 16th 2009, 3:18pm

I only told two people I trust at work after my second m/c that I'd had the m/c and that I'd been having IVF tx, I don't think anyone suspected anything as they have seen me off work for medical stuff in the past. No one else knew at work, to be honest, I don't think they understood the PGD bit so it's probably easier just to call it IVF with some extra genetic screening.

My very close friends, about 6 of them, knew about the IVF as I was happy to tell them and they have seen me through endo ops and my first m/c. I'm glad they have known as they support me, they do not know what it feels like but I can tell they are rooting for us. They do not know that DH has a part in this with his low count, they think that it's all my issues, I felt that I didn't need to tell them that bit. Sometimes I think I'm not that fussed who knows what now, it is part of who I am and will always be part of me, so I feel sad that so many people don't really know me anymore as they have no idea of the ups and downs of these last few years. I would start by telling a couple of close friends who you trust and see if you feel comfortable with that, you don't have to tell work at all, but you'll need to find a way of explaining your absences, especially as you won't have certain dates until nearer the time.

Have you told your family? I have, it felt like a big deal at the beginning, but they know that's what we do now and I think they find it 'normal' too these days. It is sad when IVF becomes normal though ..... My Mum has been a great help through tx and I'm sure your family would be the same.

I think support is so important, that's why we're all on FZ, my friends and family can only listen to so much, and I can only get a certain level of support from them as they just can't understand. Sorry for all the waffle, I hope I've answered the question! xxx

Thursday, April 16th 2009, 10:27pm

Hi Ladies :smile:

I agree Ros that it is interesting to read up on the genetic side. The most common translocation in humans involves chromosomes 13 and 14 and is seen in about 0.97 / 1000 newborns.

I have told a good few friends and my immediate boss at work so its easier to explain my days off. I don't know what I would do without having people to talk to even though I agree that they really have no idea how we feel as it is a totally unique feeling that unless you are going through it yourself there is no way on this earth of understanding it :sadface:

Night Night everyone.........tomorrow is a day closer to our dreams coming true :happy:
Natalie

Friday, April 17th 2009, 10:50am

Hi everyone and welcome Nat glad that you have found us. My DH has translocation of chromosomes 3and 9. Nobody has been able to tell us what these chromosoms do, but no worries. I have told my family friends and work mates about my treatment and they are all very supportive. The irls at work are interested but again it is easyer to say the it is IVF as nobody unless going through it knows what ICSI is. Nat I'm glad that your probes were made quickly and that you didn't have to wait as long as us, a full year. Speak to you all later

Christine xx

Saturday, April 18th 2009, 12:30am

Hey ladies....miss you all!!! Hope you are all alright :smile:.

Thanks for your replies. I was just wondering how you were dealing with it. I know you might find this a bit weird but we haven’t told any family, just a very close friend whom we trust so much. Didn't even remember to mention her last time as she knows all about our TTC journey and she's been very supportive especially after the m/c. My DH and I try to deal with it ourselves by talking a lot about it. Not sure if that‘s the right thing to do though ?( ?

When I was pregnant, we told our families about the amnio test, which we later realised was a big mistake. They were so supportive but the waiting made them so worried especially when the first appointment had to be canceled because of our DD's position! So it was the wait for the second test and then the wait for the results to come back! Therefore, when we decided to go for PGD, we agreed not to tell them because that would just add the pressure as they would be asking how things are going plus we don’t want to cause them anymore worry. We find it difficult though that they think we’ve been trying for another baby since the m/c but it’s not happening.

You've all been braver than me by telling some people around you. Glad to hear it helps a bit. I just feel I'm not ready yet!

Ros, your ticker doesn't have the word MONTH anymore. How exciting! happydance. And you Christine, not long before you start your stim injections. You both enjoy the countdown! :happy:

Time to go to bed now so night night everyone.

Bighope x

Ros

Megastar

Sunday, April 19th 2009, 4:19pm

Hope you've all had good weekends ladies, shame it's Monday tomorrow :(
I know my ticker looks good without 'month' in it, but I am still waiting for the probes to be finished ...arrrghhhh...they'd better not be late with them ...

Sunday, April 19th 2009, 8:06pm

Hi to you all. Bighope you will know yourself if and when you want to tell people. I just like to talk about things and at work we are all close and I do get a lot of support from some of them. This is right for me but you do what is right for you. Ros your probes will be ready in time I'm sure of it, have faith. Hope everyone has had a good weekend while poor little me has been working with cramp after my AF arrived. I'm feeling better now than yesterday. Have a good week.

Christine xx

Sunday, April 19th 2009, 8:55pm

:hello:

Glad the weather has been lovely as it makes me feel good and less stressed :smile: but it's Monday 2mw... back to work :(

We don't really have much time to talk at work and maybe that's why I didn't feel I could talk to anyone about it. So far I'm so happy with the support I'm getting from my husband and that friend, and of course you guys ;). I greatly appreciate all the help I’ve been getting from you.

Ros, I'm sure your probes will be ready in time so try to relax...I know it's easier said than done!

Bighope x

Tuesday, April 21st 2009, 9:27pm

Hi everyone :happy:

Well spoke to the hospital today and I get my Pro stap on May 2nd :happy: I am going on hols for 2 weeks then when I come back I have to start the nasal spray. I can't believe it is all going to be starting soon!! I am so happy but soooo nervous at the same time.

Hope everyone is well and I see that its only 3 days until you start your stimulating injections Christine thumbup you must be so excited. Will be thinking of you.
Natalie

Ros

Megastar

Friday, April 24th 2009, 11:59am

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/a…urse/article.do

Hello ladies, I'm loving this sunshine, shame is going to be crappy at the weekend.

Thought you would all like to read this PGD article I saw yesterday :) x

Friday, April 24th 2009, 8:12pm

Hi everyone....Hope you are all well.

Thanks for the article Ros. It makes me soooo happy to hear successful PGD stories :happy:. Here's another one which I found while searching for anything to do with PGD:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/s…ht&lid=tab3pos1

Having PGD, those parents were not only blessed with healthy twins but also helped cure their son who had a serious disease!! It's AMAZING what this technique can do!

Nat - Glad you are starting soon. Enjoy your holiday! :)

Christine - You must have started your stim injections today. Bet you are excited! Good luck thumbup

Bighope x

Friday, April 24th 2009, 8:23pm

Hi girls thanks for the links they certainly help with the PMA. I do start injections today but not until later tonight. As they have to be done at the same time every day and I work shifts it is easier to do later at night. I'm dreading it but at the same time excited aswell. Hope you all ahve a great weekend.

Christine xx

Friday, April 24th 2009, 9:24pm

They articles are great.........they give you some hope of it all working out :smile:

Good luck Christine with your injection tonight :thumbsup2:

N xx
Natalie

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 9:32pm

Hi girls, hope you are all having a nice weekend.

Christine, you've mentioned that the stim injections have to be done at the same time every day. Is it the same for DR injections? I know you had just one which lasts for a month but what about when they need to be taken daily? Ros, you might be able to help with this as you mentioned once that you had to inject yourself for 4 weeks :innocent:. It's too early for me to ask about this but I'm just curious to know everything :D

You know when you are waiting, all you can do is to think and think and think ?( ?( ?( so I've got another question for you girls. Does the hospital need a long time to arrange your dates after the probes are ready? I'm thinking of ringing them when I start my May AF as by that time it will have been around 10 weeks since we had the blood test.

Bighope x

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 9:37pm

One more thing girls :O

Nat, was it your choice to have a nasal spray rather than injections or was it the hospital's decision?

Bighope x

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 9:49pm

Evening everyone. Having a lovely weekend Bighope. The weather was so lovely today :happy:

In answer to your question about the nasal spray (snuff) it was the hospital that has made that decision. I got my appointment card through the other day so after my Prostap injection on 2 May I start the Nasal on 29th May and I get my scan and blood on 8th June and then start the daily injections on the 9th June until 20th (I think I continue with Nasal too but will ask on Saturday and let you know) and then on 22nd I go for the egg retrieval :thumbsup2:

with regards to your probes, we were sent a letter with an appointment for about 3 wks later and it was then that they told us the probes were ready but the first date they had was june, that was in February but I suppose all clinics are different. I am attending the Glasgow Royal.

N x
Natalie

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 11:19pm

Evening Nat. It must be really exciting to have your dates happydance. So glad for you :happy:. Thanks a lot for the information but I think I got a bit confused ?(. I know the Nasal is for DR and the daily injections are for stims, but what's the Prostap injection for?

The other thing is, when you said the first date they had was June, did you mean the first date available for ER?? and your probes were ready in Feb but you had to wait all that time!!!

bighope x

Sunday, April 26th 2009, 1:23pm

Afternoon Bighope, The prostap is DR but I think they are putting me on nasal spray at end of May as the ER date isn't until 22 June. I am a bit confused too so will get it all clarified on Saturday and update you. Yes our probes were ready on 4th Februay 2009 and we have had to wait for a date to become available which is now June. It is so frustrating but I suppose they only get so many dates to work with but I must admit from February to now it has flown in.

Any news on your probes yet?

I am just sitting watching the London Marathon. My brother is running in it for the Down's syndrome association as he has a 4 yr old daughter with DS. He has raised over £2000 so I am so proud of him :D
Natalie

Ros

Megastar

Sunday, April 26th 2009, 1:43pm

Hope you're all having a good weekend girls, what alot of questions on here!

Christine, fab that you have started being a druggie, that is good news :)
Nat, fab that you have your dates through.

Right, my answers to the questions:
1) injecting every day - yes at the same time, but if it's within an hour or so it's near enough so no need to panick. I have found myself injecting at work, in loos and in other strange places. I have a little cool box lunch box thing which I keep an ice pack in, a tupperware box with needles and an antisepctic wipe, and there is room for the other drugs too, so it's neat, and you just need to remember to freeze the ice pack every day, that way I don't have to rush home to inject stimms :). I do my DR injections in the morning when I wake up as that suits me best. The stimms is evening as often the clinic need to tell me what dose to take if I'd had my bloods done that morning. Does that make sense?!
2) arranging to start. I have my day 1 today, and although I have only been assured that the probes would be ready for me to start this month on day 21, I shall be calling the ACU and Genetics tomorrow to tell them to get a move on. I need to ACU to have me pencilled in (I have already warned them) and I need to get my HIV/ Hep tests done again as it's over a year since my last ones, so I'll be doing that over the next week or two. I also need to go and see my cons now too, but I guess they will wait until the probes are officially ready. It's been 10 weeks on Tuesday since they started them.grrrrr.
3) for DR, ladies can inject or sniff the nasal spray. I choose to inject as that's what my first clinic did and then now I always worry that the nasal thing wouldn't work if I had a cold. I know it's a silly thought as most ladies sniff, but that's how I am!
4) Differrent people have different drug types and regimes so not everyone will have the same ones, so don't worry about that either :D

x

Ros

Megastar

Monday, April 27th 2009, 3:25pm

Yippee, had the phonecall from Guy's Genetics today to say my probes are ready and waiting for me. And I'm on day 2 now so that means DR on Sat 16th May :D

Monday, April 27th 2009, 6:34pm

Thanks for your posts girls.....very informative! Well, I'm the least experienced here so expect more questions from you :D

Congrats Ros. I'm so glad for you :dancing: So we have 2 people starting in May now xfingers

Nat, knowing that you had to wait all that time, I've tried ringing my clinic all day to ask how soon we can start the procedure after the probes are ready, but unfortunately the person I needed to speak to was not available and didn't want to leave her a message because thought talking to her would be better. I know hospitals are different but that made me worry now :sadface:

Christine - Hope your injections are going well. By the way, are there any side effects for the stim injections?

Bighope xxx

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE