You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Pauly

• "Pauly" started this thread

Reg: Mar 26th 2009

Children: One son now 7 (previous partner)

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 7:32pm

How's my sperm look?

Hi Folks;

It's my first post - be gentle with me :innocent:

Greetings to all!

OK; I'm 39 and the DW is 33, we've been TTC for over 3 years and it's just not happening for us so we have recently decided to take the plunge and seek advice of an ACU.

I already have a son with my ex who is now 7 so we are unable to have any treatment on the NHS (not fair that IMHO as he is not my DW's son and does not live with us - it's not like having your own really is it)!

A year ago we had the basic tests the NHS would provide, DW had bloods, pelvic U/S, HSG all were reported as normal.

I had bloods & SA, bloods included CF and chromosome tests.

My 1st SA came back quite poor (oligo-teratospermia) and I told the NHS registrar that I already have a son so would it have degraded that much in 6 yrs and the Registrar didn't give a direct answer but just said "Many Men think that they are the biological father of their children but this is not often the case". That was a very blunt statement and left me a bit shocked to be honest.

We decided to not take that one test as representative of me being "a Jaffa" and had a repeat SA which took quite some time to repeat.

Prior to the 1st SA I'd had flu about 6 weeks before and the repeat SA 13 weeks later was better but I'm still unclear on what is considered as OK.

The results were reported by letter only and not a full SA report, as follows:-

Concentration:- 69 million per ml
Motility:- 60%
Abnormal Forms:- 94%

We were told this is "normal" but I'm a little concerned about the abnormal forms, it sounds very high especially after reading our collection of infertility books :smile:

We have our 1st consultant appointment tomorrow and they will be doing a repeat SA next week and therefore it would be nice to know in advance what the figures mean.

Any advice would be much appreciated and i look forward to chatting with you all as we start our journey.

Best rgds,
Pauly
Chap, 39 yrs young :)

Been TTC with DW for over 3 yrs with no success, just starting down the AC road.

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 7:50pm

Welcome Paul, always good to have a chap amongst us women :D

I have popped a note into the staff room to ask the male factor team to help as I can't answer your specific question, and will also ask Sperm Scientist to come over (a link to her thread is below)

I agree it stinks that treatment isn't offered if you have a child, BUT, my understanding is that if the husband has children but the wife does not, they are starting to offer treatment in some areas, these links may help

http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com/Fund…tility/?id=5228

http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com/Fund…tility/?id=5262

Here are some links on the forum that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a ** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP ** thread HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ and a few guidelines too.

There is a ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread HERE where you can post any questions you have about how to use the site, a team member will answer you as soon as possible!

There is a how to search thread HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

There is a male factor chatter thread HERE.

There is a thread, Life in the lab – for all your sperm questions HERE where you can ask for advice.

And finally!! Have you seen that lots of our members have fancy names in their signatures? If you’re interested in having something similar it’s really easy to do. Have a look HERE to choose a style. If there isn't one you like there, let us know the kind of thing you'd like and we'll try and create one for you.

Because the running of the site completely depends on the kindness of our members, we ask for a small donation in return for a sparkly name, which is explained HERE. Hang around a bit and get to know us before you decide if you'd like to support us!

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your TTC journey, I hope you get your BFP soon!!

blowkiss

I'll shut up now :D

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 8:00pm

Hello to you both, and welcome to FZ.

Putting aside the crass remarks from the Registrar, it is always dangerous to judge from just one semen sample - as you have demonstrated. And even had the first specimen been telling the full story, lots of men conceive children despite their sperm problems, if their partner is sufficiently fertile, and they are lucky. However it is easier to get a poorer specimen by accident than a better one, so it is this latter, better specimen that I will talk about.

The information you have is very basic, but seems to be saying that you have a good sperm concentration, although a knowledge of the semen volume would help in determining the 'total' sperm in the sample. Sperm concentration tends to be inversely proportional to the semen volume (not too surprisingly)

The percentage motility is also good, although here again there is even less of the full story. It is the percentage (and in turn total numbers) of rapidly moving sperm that is important. Those sperm that merely twitch or swim around in circles are less useful than those that go rapidly cork-scewing across the specimen. But the total of motile sperm is certainly good.

Morphology is a contentious area. There are two different criteria for assessing morphology - WHO, and Kruger Strict Criteria. By the former standard around 30-45% of sperm will be assessed as normal shape and size, whereas by the latter, Kruger grouping, the normal range is around 8-14%. So your 6% has a different significance according to the techniques employed by the laboratory.

Despite the paucity of sperm information, and the morphology, you are and remain a fertile man - and could very well have conceived your son with the sort of specimen that I have just been talking about above. However it is as a couple that you are trying to conceive, and if your semen picture is really less than ideal, then your partner is going to have to be more than average fertile to compensate for this fact, and achieve a pregnancy. If this can't be managed, and your lack of success over three years suggests that this compensation is not happening naturally then you may need some help.

But help can be offered to increase her fertility or to bypass this with formal fertility treatment.

So good luck for tomorrow, and keep us informed.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 8:04pm

Hi Pauly

Welcome to FZ,

Can't comment to much on your sperm but it sounds poor, not normal to me.

If it makes you feel any better my Dh has two previous children and he had very poor sperm.
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Pauly

• "Pauly" started this thread

Reg: Mar 26th 2009

Children: One son now 7 (previous partner)

Friday, March 27th 2009, 9:30pm

Thanks folks for the replies and information - we've been to see our consultant today and he does not seem too concerned (in fact quite reasonable), although have my repeat SA next week so fingers crossed! This next one will be more detailed and will try to get a copy this time :smile:
Chap, 39 yrs young :)

Been TTC with DW for over 3 yrs with no success, just starting down the AC road.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE