You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 7:59am

Travel Systems, Prams and Pushchairs

Hi ladies

I have some questions on the above which I'm hoping someone can help answer:

1. When we get a travel system, how long will the baby last in the car seat for until it's too big for it? Is it 6 months?

2. When the baby has grown out of the car seat do you automatically use the pushchair part of the travel system? Just seemed a bit too early.

Any advice would be great! Ta!

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 8:37am

hi jen,
with our travel system you can use the car seat up to 20 pounds(9 kg) i think. (about 9 months)
Our ds is just under 9 kg, and getting very heavy in the car seat so it 's nearly time for the stage 2 seat.

Regarding the pushachair part, i only had ds in the car seat bit if i was going out in the car and he was asleep- therefore when i got out of the car to go shopping i could just fit it to the pushchair without him waking. If he was awake, or i was going for a walk, then i wouldn't use the car seat, i would just lay him flat in the pushchair. Gradually as he got bigger i raised the pushchair so he could see where he was going.

Now because he's so big i leave the car seat in the car all the time.

xx

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 8:40am

I think we need some demos - I had one a couple of weeks back but didn't think of any questions then. This time round it will be if we like, and it's tested ok etc then we will buy. As it's not a cheap thing to buy it's gotta be right eh!

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 8:42am

which ones are you looking at jen?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 8:49am

Jenny,
We found mothercare really helpful for demonstrations. There is a big mamas and papas store near us as well and they were really helpful. Make sure you try folding and unfolding and check you can do it with one hand, some of them you need to push two buttons at the same time which is not easy with a baby under one arm! Also make sure that whatever you go for fits in the boot of your car. Also don't forget that you will have to carry the car seat with a baby inside it as well so if its heavy on its own, it will be even heavier plus baby. Think about if you will be doing country walks etc.. then you might be better with a 3 wheeler. I would have loved a big old fashioned silver cross pram but it just wouldn't fit through our front door!

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 8:50am

As far as i am aware most of the travel systems, the pushchair bit shouls be suitable from birth, babies should be in a car seat no longer than 2 hours i think??? xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 9:02am

Has anyone got experience of the Quinny Buzz system..thats my favourite so far but would like some feedback on praticality...I willl need a 3 wheeler for walks with pooch and I love the hydraulic self raise action.

xx

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 10:12am

we bought a Mama's & Papa's Pramette on the P3 chasis on Saturday at the Birmingham Baby show.

its a pushchair which converts into a pram - hood swops ends & everything and we got it for £250 ~(discounted) and got the car seat worth £130 thrown in free) also bought the cosytoes as this can be used as just a linner for the pram or pushchair and is machine washable.

i also liked the quinny buzz but dp doesnt like the 3 wheelers.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 11:05am

I wanted to go to the baby show but it would have cost £12.95 each to get in - plus it's not just down the road for us.

We have a Diddyland near us and they are brill for demos.

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 11:16am

where are you based Jen ? ...

we already new what we wanted to buy had already looked in the Mama's & Papa's shop in town.

We also got the Moses Basket from the Glasgow Pram Center and the Feeding Solutions from Avent - £15 off.
i am not getting my self prepared not to breast feed - if i decide to do it then its all good, if i dont then i am prepared.
i found breast feeding hard work last night - constant all round the clock and ds would falls sleep too quickly on the breast.

Every mag or book i seem to pick up is breast feed breast feed breast feed - too much pressure !!! - am i the only one who is quite happy to bottle feed !!! ??

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 11:18am

The carseats are supposed to fit until 9 months, but I also find the carseat so heavy. I still have dd in ours though as I like her to face me when I'm walking, She does fit in the pushchair part alright she just looks a little lost!!

I wish I'd have got a travel system with carrycot now though

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Missy

Superstar

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 11:19am

MrsJ, my mum had a coach built siver cross pram with my LB and LS, she loved it and cried when she had to sell it!!

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 11:31am

Sam, they are gorgeous but completely impractical if you have a car. They look how a pram should look and you can fit a whole weeks shopping for a family of 4 underneath. They were designed in the days when mothers never went to work, didn't drive and did all their shopping at local shops rather than a supermarket and houses had huge wide hallways where you could park a pram and not fall over it if wheh you openend the front door. Would love that kind of life but its not going to happen!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 11:32am

We're in Nottingham Kizzy.

I want to give breast feeding a go. If it doesn't suit either then it'll be bottles.

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 12:07pm

Which pushchair?!?!?

I have spent what feels like weeks researching pushchairs! I want one thats quite light, folds easily(ish) and that baby can lay flat in - and oh, I have an original Mini Cooper to fit it in!

Baby will be in a Britax Rock-a-tot-si car seat in the front passenger seat so I'm hoping to fit the pushchair on the backseat so it really mustn't be too heavy. My list so far consists of:

Silver Cross Linear Freeway
Mamas & Papas Pilko Pramette
Quinny Buzz with extra carrycot

Does anyone have any strong opinions against any of these? Or can you recommend any others for me to look into?

Whew. Going to try and stand up now after sitting here staring at pc since before 8 this morning ;)

Sam x
TTC since Jan 2003. DP & Me 34.
Unexplained infertility. 6 months clomid. Hycosy. 4 attempts with insem on NHS.
1st attempt at IVF/ICSI 2 embryos transfered 11th May
Unbelievable BFP 24th May
We have one baby jellybean on board!

Saz

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 12:08pm

I have the buzz!! Love it!! Is bulky tho. There again, we only have a fiesta, and it fits in wirh a little room to spare.

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 12:11pm

The Pliko Pramette isn't the lightest pushchair around & doesn't fold up small. it won't it in my Daewoo Matiz boot & only just fits in DH's car.

I've seen the Linear Cross one as a friend has one so I'll ask her what she thinks on Fri, she as a Micra so not a huge boot either

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 12:18pm

How about a sling? :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Bagpuss

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 12:33pm

TBH I have the pliko P3 Pramette & I love it but it's not very light but it does fold easily but it's not that small.

I loved the Jane system & the Loola but neither seat would fit in the car :rolleyes:

The best thing to do is actually go to Mothercare or John Lewis & have a good play to see how things feel. M&P let us try the seat & the pram in the car too - we put the chair up & down ourselves to see how easy it was going to be.

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 1:22pm

Thanks everyone. Its such a big investment and as my parents have offered to pay I feel like I have to get the decision right! Bagpuss, I'd love to hear what your friend thinks of the Linear.

Torisen, I'm not so sure about a sling. I live in the middle of no-where so when I do go out it usually means running lots of errands. Will definitely get a baby carrier for walking into village and for DP to carry baby.

foxy

Reg: Apr 28th 2006

Wednesday, October 11th 2006, 4:00pm

I got a Bugaboo this folds down really small and is dead light, go for the funkiest I say worry about squishing it in later - don't take this advise seriously!. My mate has a smart car and her pram fits in that, sorry can't remember make but it's quite hefty, so I think if you can, test them out in car if unsure.

Friday, October 13th 2006, 2:59pm

Im getting the Buzz...eventually!!!! It has quick release wheels which make it very small an easy to pack if you need to...with the wheels on it isnt so compact........Dreami carrycot is quite heavy tho.........ahve you thought abut the Bugaboo...that is pretty funky and light......personally In rpefer the collapse and raising mechanism on the Buzz which is why I went for it...but you get used to whatever you have in the end.........if you go for the BUzz make sure you gwet the 2006 version as it has a number of improvements!!

Saz

Friday, October 13th 2006, 3:02pm

Tinks is right, the quick release wheels are fab, I just rarely take them off!!

Bagpuss

Friday, October 13th 2006, 3:06pm

Sam my friend has the Linear Freeway, she loves it but did say it doesn't fit in the boot of her Micra.

The plus point is that the pushchair/pram bit can be fixed to face you or away from you which is nice.

I have to say I think it looks very smart & the car seat is quite light & easier to carry than mine.

HTH?

Friday, October 13th 2006, 3:48pm

Thanks for all your input.

I've just been to look at the Bugaboo Gecko which I really like. Think this might be the one! Its so weird "playing" with baby stuff. I still feel like an imposter going into baby shops. Think I need to be a bit more assertive and go in and take them to bits and fold them etc. So far I look and feel the weight and thats about it. It's all such a strange new experience :D

Tinkerbell is it the Buzz 2006 or new Jan 2007 that has improvements? I haven't seen it with the wheels off - do shops mind people coming in and taking everything apart?

I need to find a big baby shop that stocks all the ones I'm interested in and then spend some time thoroughly checking them out.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "sammc" (Oct 13th 2006, 3:49pm)

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Friday, October 13th 2006, 4:56pm

I can really recommend the Hauck Infinity.

Torisen

Friday, October 13th 2006, 5:59pm

sammc, you are likely to go mad and spend many sleepless nights!
I am going for the bugaboo, I liked the matress and it comes in bright colors (great if you want cars to see you!)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Friday, October 13th 2006, 9:16pm

Quoted

Originally posted by sammc

Tinkerbell is it the Buzz 2006 or new Jan 2007 that has improvements? I haven't seen it with the wheels off - do shops mind people coming in and taking everything apart?

2006 version..not aware of a proposed 2007 upate...is it something youve heard about....no shop should mind you getting them demonstrate ALL the features and if they cant then dont buy from them!!??

Maddy777

• "Maddy777" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 10th 2006

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 10:31am

We aren't having a pushchair at all til about 6 months :D

We are going to baby wear (sling) or use the car seat to move them about. I did it that way with my daughter. I am keen to do it that way even more so now, living in england because of the shops being so small or not having lifts to get to other floors( Next in Exeter for example!!) Bad Next bad!

Once it is a bit older then I can buy a much cheaper and lighter pushchair.

:)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Maddy777" (Oct 14th 2006, 10:32am)

Mel

Reg: May 10th 2006

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 9:52pm

I bought the Bugaboo Chameleon - chose really funky red/blue combo with all the trimings. Obviously haven't pushed a baby around in it yet, but it turns in really tight circles, is supposed to be good for shops or country walks and has a good enough matress to have the baby sleeping in at night. The micro fleece is supposed to keep the baby warm on cold days and cool on hot ones. Its quite light but mainly just looks funky!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 10:15pm

I have the quinny buzz with the carry cot. I love it too it pops up just by tapping it and goes down with ease. I am glad of the carry cot and i have really only just stopped using it so not a bad buy, i was told i would only used it a few times but DD loved it in there, i did buy some material books to put around the edge so she had pictures to look at... that kept her occupied for a while, otherwise she would just sleep in it whenever we went out.

What colour dd you get Tinks? i saw the multi colour one the other day on a website looks really nice, i got plain black as we will use it for the next baby 8o

Sunday, October 15th 2006, 1:26pm

I have gone mad! Have been dreaming/day dreaming/nightmaring about the blinking things. Am now going to try and chill for a week or two before taking the next step 8)

Thanks for all your input into this subject. I will definitely take everything into consideration when I regain some of my sanity :D

Mad Sam x

kirston

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 8:52am

hiya all
thought i would put my 2penneth in.
i have and love my buzz.the wheels coming off is a fantastic idea.
the only thing i would say ,is that i bought the carrycot,the dreami,and i havent used it much,as im in the car most of the time,so i usually put the carseat straight onto the wheels.
any questions dont hesitate to ask
kirston xxx

Reg: Apr 18th 2006

Children: 5 year old daughter

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 3:06pm

Hi Sam

I really want the bugaboo chameleon, but have also been looking at the quinny buzz 2007, it has a new washable fleece cover, like the chameleon and comes in some really bright funky colours.

I went into babies 24-7 the other day and the women told me that they haven't been produced yet so no test model. She showed me them in a book.

Bugaboo still at the top of my list though, dh thinks it's too much to spend on a pram, it's ok for him, he'll be at work every day and I will be the one pushing around a tank that doesn't fold properly!!!

xxx
Lisa

:xxx3:

me 39 dh 42
IVF 06
DD arrived Feb 2007 at 37 weeks and 6 days
FET 1 - Nov 12 BFN ;(

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 3:31pm

I really, really regret not having a rear and forward facing pushchair, as we are out and about quite alot and I don't drive it means that Lolly spends alot of time facing away from me in the pram. I do talk to her and if she wants to look at me she tends to twist round and look upwards (which can't be good for her neck!) But Dp won't let me buy a new pram as she is going to be 1 pretty soon! I also have the maclaren xt, fantastic and lightwieght but the shopping basket isn't very big

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 4:44pm

Its funny how much work can go into buying one item isn't it!

Am having a bit of a "down time" at the moment and can't snap out of it which is why I'm not doing any more research into prams for a little while.

The Chamelean will be too big for my car - shame cause I like all the colours. The Buzz with the carrycot is still a possibility as is the Gecko. I really like the idea of having a carrycot so that I don't also have to get a travel cot. I won't be using a car seat on the pram chassis as none of them are approved to fit my car. So I suppose now it just boils down to ease of use and 3 or 4 wheels. My parents have offered to pay for the pram - bit scared to tell them that it might be almost £500!!! I'll make sure they are sitting down before I give them the news 8o

Torisen

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 5:44pm

Picked up the bugaboo today! :D
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 7:34pm

I love my bugaboo - was fantastic in pram mode and saved on a moses basket until DD went into a cot. Now its in pushchair mode its brilliant - DD shrieks with delight when we chase the dog in it on walks! best buy we made definately!. What colours are you going for Wella?

Torisen

Thursday, October 19th 2006, 8:05am

Orange and grey so that all the cars can see us!!! Will be fitting it with reflectors everywhere too! (a bit manic yes, but that is the way it is!!)

Washing the fabrics now... fingers felt funny under fingers when I was touching it...

I must say that I completely agree with the idea to just use slings but I travel too much and for long for baby to sleep on peoples sofas. It will just be easier to have a really nice familiar pram to sleep in... It will be well worth those extra kilos in check in and I got the transport bag to go with it for easy travel...
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Torisen" (Oct 19th 2006, 8:08am)

Thursday, October 19th 2006, 9:51am

Wella, the orange is a great choice! Did you find somewhere cheaper on line or buy from a local shop?

Shame that I've already ordered my moses basket as I think we could have made do with the carrycot too.

Thursday, October 19th 2006, 7:43pm

We was going to get the Silver cross one, we loved it but realised how big it was next to the M&P pliko pramette, plus you had the extra carry cot bit which we didnt want.

I dont like the quinneys, sorry for those who have one, its just not me thats all.

I have the M&P pliko P3 pramette, without the carry cot. Its the one where the pushchair turns into a pram facing you and you can put the car seat onto it too and also a pushchair.

I love it and am glad I have it, it pushes well especially with the swivel wheels and DD sits in it most of the day and she sleeps in it and its so comfy adn easy to transform to each way that you can have it.

Its not the lightest around, but I only put it in and out of the car and I am 5ft 3in and cope ok with it. We originally didnt like the plastic handles which is one reason we liked the silvercross, but i dont really notice them.

Depends what size boot you have really and what you want it to do. I didnt want the seperate carrycot so the pliko p3 pramette was perfect, I love the new fabrics now too.

Thursday, October 19th 2006, 9:18pm

Wella mines orange too!!! we must have great taste! I love it as DD sees life through a lovely cosy glow!

Torisen

Friday, October 20th 2006, 10:00am

Found that http://www.glasgowpramcentre.co.uk does a deal with free car seat... sounds pretty good to me. I have done my shopping now and would rather not know if I got a good deal or not! :)

Orange is so great!!!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Torisen" (Oct 20th 2006, 10:01am)

Friday, October 20th 2006, 10:19am

I looked at the Pilko Pramette and loved the way it folded. Trouble is its quite heavy to lift over the drivers seat into the back of my car - so don't think thats an option for me :(

See how I feel tomorrow. Might be able to persuade DP to go looking with me.

Re: Bugaboo's do you not find them quite low? Went into Covent Garden yesterday and saw someone pushing one and it looked a bit like a dolls pram! Sorry - no offence to anyone that has one and I do still like them just wondering how easy it is being so low down.

Reg: Apr 18th 2006

Children: 5 year old daughter

Friday, October 20th 2006, 11:37am

Wella & Primrose

That is also the colour I want - the orange and grey combo!!

xxx
Lisa

:xxx3:

me 39 dh 42
IVF 06
DD arrived Feb 2007 at 37 weeks and 6 days
FET 1 - Nov 12 BFN ;(

Torisen

Friday, October 20th 2006, 12:27pm

sammc, I prefer lower, less likely to topple over... Handlebar is super high so it is perfect!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Friday, October 20th 2006, 1:46pm

Yes they are like little prams :D but perfect for getting around shops and parking in starbucks!

Friday, October 20th 2006, 1:51pm

I think you have convinced me girls! Thank you... :]

Tanny

Reg: Jun 27th 2007

Sunday, October 7th 2007, 11:55am

Prams....

To put into pictures what its like trying to find the right pram/system:

:hairout

Why is it so damned difficult?

Reg: Apr 7th 2006

Children: sophie 31/01/2008 and angels above

Sunday, October 7th 2007, 1:52pm

try and list everything you want out of a pram and what/where you'll go with it and go from that

do you want a carseat in it like travel system or will you buy a seperate one?
do you want 3 or 4 wheels?
will you be pushing it on the beach or going jogging or walking hills ect with it or just around town?
does it need a shopping basket ?

stuff like that and see if you can find your perfect one

good luck

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE