You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Wolls" started this thread

Reg: Dec 21st 2008

Monday, March 2nd 2009, 6:43pm

dentist & IVF

Just a quick question - I am 'hopefully' starting stimms in 3 wks time (fingers crossed) I have a dentist appointment the week before where I need a filling & some x-rays taken - am i ok to have these procedures done as I will not even have started treatment at this point, just checking. If I need further treatment can I arrange this while i'm doing stimms or not? ?(

what is the rule on hot bubble baths? not while having treatment or just not if pregnant? ?(

:thanx:

Reg: Jul 23rd 2008

Children: Fingers crossed

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 8:53am

no hot baths after ET (but ok during stimms)
better to avoid mercury fillings whilst you are pregnant or TTC - but some dentists disagree.
X rays should be ok - but in the circumstances, maybe they could offer you a lead apron to shield your ovary.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "carnelian" (Mar 3rd 2009, 8:54am)

Michelle

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 10:47am

Hi Wolls
As you wont even have started tx when you go the dentist it should be fine to have the x rays done but do mention it to your dentist if you are worried about it.
There was recently thread discussing mercury fillings which you may want to have a read of, here's the link Mercury fillings - better in or out?
Personally i would opt for white fillings to be on the safe side but then saying that, i have been through ivf and pregnancy with a mouth full of mercury fillings :O

Hot baths - fine up until EC but best avoided afterwards. You can have a nice relaxing bath but just not TOO hot!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 11:23am

Thanks for your replies ladies, and for the link. Don't know what to do now, whether to go to the appointment and discuss with the dentist or to cancel the appointment till after my IVF treatment? Just don't want to do anything that I may regret later, if you know what I mean.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wolls" (Mar 3rd 2009, 11:23am)

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 12:00pm

Hi Wolls

If you needthe filling then best get it done before you get pregnant as dentists won't put mercury fillings in if you're pregnant (i'm pretty sure I'm right about that but not 100%).

If you have any concerns then ring the dentist now and see if you can see them before the appt for the filling to have a chat about best course of action.

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 12:27pm

I've just rang the dentist and asked if they will beable to do a white filling for me when I come in - they said no as it costs them (and me) more and takes longer!!! I've cancelled my appointment and will arrange it at a later date just to be sure.

Michelle

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 4:11pm

You've done the right thing. That's silly that they wont do a white one - it doesn't take longer and you're the one paying anyway!!

Leave it till your pregnant hun and you will get a white one done for free, that's what i did :D

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 5:28pm

Sounds good Michelle, thanks for the positive thinking. :happy:

Reg: Mar 28th 2009

Children: 2 boys

Sunday, May 24th 2009, 8:29pm

duffy is right any good dentist DOES NOT use amalgam (metal) fillings in whilst pregnant. also generally they use the 'quick' anaesthetic. (there are 2 types)

i went to the dentist 3 weeks ago...ims upposed to have a crown but i told them i wanted a temp. filling as i didnt want to be numbed as i was less than 12wks. theres no rason for this-it was me being over cautious!!

(another thing is that amalgam fillings dont contain mecury anymore)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE