You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "angel_mouse" started this thread

Reg: Jul 10th 2008

Children: TTC number one

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 9:23am

Would we get IUI

Hi can someone please tell me what a mans sperm count should be before you are offered IUI? We have been told that we will go straight to ICSI in Janaury as DHs count is only 2million. I dont have any blockages or abnormalities and i am ovulating normally but I found out yesterday that I have an AMH of only 2.9!! The hospital are very reassuring and dont seem to worried by this and say that it can take just one good egg, I just wondered if i would be better with a treatment that dosent involve the harvesting of a large amount of eggs?

Should I ask my clinic about this or not?
Me 37 (low AMH) DH 40 (LSC)
TTC since Dec 2006
ICSI 1-Jan 2010 no response
ICSI 2-March 2011 (1 egg) BFN
ICSI 3 DE -Currently on 2WW test 24/3/12

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 10:31am

Hi,

I'm not sure and was wondering the same thing myself... However, we have been recommend IVF with ICSI for two sperm tests of 3 million and 9 million. So I guess we're both in the zone for "straight to IVF - do not pass go"!

xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 6:05pm

RE: Would we get IUI

Hi, from me.

Quoted

Hi can someone please tell me what a mans sperm count should be before you are offered IUI?

There is no specific sperm count that determines this. In order to do IUI the sperm have to be made to swim-up into culture medium, as you can't put seminal fluid covered sperm directly into the uterus. If the count, or the percentage motility or the sperm speed are such that too few, if any sperm will swim up, then the laboratory cannot produce a sperm preparation that can be used for IUI. You should ask the unit and preferably the embyologists what they they.,

Quoted

We have been told that we will go straight to ICSI in Janaury as DHs count is only 2million.

This is a low count but if the quality and speed were very good it might still work. They are suggesting ICSI, but that might be their convenience rather than yours.

Quoted

I dont have any blockages or abnormalities and i am ovulating normally

That's all good for IUI.

Quoted

but I found out yesterday that I have an AMH of only 2.9!!

That is low as you realise.

Quoted

The hospital are very reassuring and dont seem to worried by this and say that it can take just one good egg, I just wondered if i would be better with a treatment that dosent involve the harvesting of a large amount of eggs?

You have a very good point, as if you only produced a couple of follicles you would have the cycle abandoned and have nothing for your efforts. Whereas, as you are ovulating, IUI is be just fine with only one or two follicles/eggs.

Quoted

Should I ask my clinic about this

YES

Talk to them.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 6:26pm

We were told today that DH's count has miraculously gone up to 23 million. That's up from 3 million last August and 9 million last October. No lifestyle changes. So I asked today "does that that mean we can have IUI rather than IVF/ICSI?" and was told that success rates are very low with IUI and not to bother??? So... I dunno! I am very confused!

I guess these things are not "cut and dried" - but still... Anyone having IUI - PLEASE ignore this tho! I would hate for some throw-away comment like that to get you down - personally I am completely confused as to what is going on or how any of this works. Having just got back from the hospital I need to go and lie in a darkened room and stop trying to make sense of anything! Because there is "no sense"!

Thanks for listening - I will now be in the dark room if anyone wants me!

xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 6:33pm

Hey - you in that dark room,

I agree with you, it makes no sense. Success rates with IUI can be low, but they are not so brilliant with ICSI, and you can have 3 or 4 goes of IUI for each ICSI - so it can catch up.

Anyway, rather than try to throw some light on things in your darkened room, I'll just leave you to recover.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE