You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sun Flower

Superstar

• "Sun Flower" started this thread

Tuesday, February 24th 2009, 7:03pm

where can you apply to adopt?

Hi everyone

we are currenlty going through IVF using donor sperm, this is our one and only chance as if it does not work we want to look into adoption.

I have been thinking about adoption more and more over the last few days and have been lurking on the adoption thread on here getting a feel for all of the different aspects and the overall process.

I was just wondering if we did go ahead with adoption in the future, where can we apply to. Does it have to be the LA / Local agency? or can it be a LA in another area?? or both? can we apply to more than one??

and also, what is the difference between LA and agency?

I wish you all the very best of luck with your adoption journeys xx

Reg: Sep 2nd 2008

Children: Andy has 2 children from a previous marriage

Tuesday, February 24th 2009, 8:13pm

Welcome Sunflower,

I am not the most knowledgeable person to answer your questions as I am just starting my adoption journey. However, in my experience you should only apply LA's within driving distance (We were expected with 2 LA's), althouh we didn't live in both (obviously) the other one expected us because it wasn't too far away and their SW could easily get to us.

We have now been asked to select on of the two to represent us. We never really considered going with a VA, not sure why, just put our trust in LA.

Good luck with this and with your IVF.

Sarah.xx
I'm Sarah (32), married to Andy (39) for 3 years. Andy had a vasectomy before we met, after a failed reversal op, we have had 3 unsuccessful IVF cycles, another reversal op - OMG it worked - now trying naturally.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "sarah c" (Feb 24th 2009, 8:13pm)

Reg: Feb 11th 2009

Children: none

Wednesday, February 25th 2009, 1:12pm

hiya

I know that it it though your LA, but I'm aware they won't consider talking to you in depth until they know that you have given up on treatment, they will also need a note fron your consultant to say that you are no longer receiving treatment. This does seem unfair. But been though this before.

Tracey
Me 39 DH 38 Unexplained Fertility
1st IUI 27th January BFN ( Had a bad insemination) :BFN:
2nd IUI 28th aug :BFP:

Sun Flower

Superstar

Wednesday, February 25th 2009, 1:18pm

Thank you Tracey and Sarah for your replies

I have looked at my LA website and downloaded some leaflets so I was aware that they would not consider us until we have finished treatment and even then we have to wait 6 / 12 mths from then until the process begins, so we will be prepared for the long wait.

I was just curious about the other LA's, as only applying to one seems so restrictive, but I understand that the SW have to make regular visits so I guess it would be inpractical to apply too far away.

wishing you both lots of luck xx

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Wednesday, February 25th 2009, 1:30pm

Just to let you know hun I have started to look at adoption cause when LO is a little older want to adopt and want to know when to start bearing in mind it can be a long process.

I hope you don't need it hun but what a wonderful thing you would be doing.

Sorry for jumping in on your thread.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

Reg: Sep 2nd 2008

Children: Andy has 2 children from a previous marriage

Wednesday, February 25th 2009, 5:58pm

Just remember that all LA's operate differently Sunflower,

We were not asked for anything from consulants and our LA only wanted reassurance from us that our treatment was over, they didn't have a time limit.

xxx
I'm Sarah (32), married to Andy (39) for 3 years. Andy had a vasectomy before we met, after a failed reversal op, we have had 3 unsuccessful IVF cycles, another reversal op - OMG it worked - now trying naturally.

Miracle1

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: Three gorgeous nephews and 1 furbaby

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 4:39pm

Hi Sun Flower,

Just noticed your posting about adoption. I know you live in the same area as me. When I spoke to the SW's at the local authority when we were enquiring they told me to have a good look on the adoption uk website and the BAAF website which provides loads of information on adoption.

Hope this helps.
Miracle1

bigkiss

Me (41) DH (39) (male factor)
TTC - 10 yrs, conceived naturally in 2002, M/C @ 6 wks :tears:
Enquired about adoption - but not for us
:angel2: for a natural miracle one day xfingers

[zx022]

Sun Flower

Superstar

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 4:53pm

Thanks ladies

Miracle1, I will check out the websites, thanks for the info :hugs:

Gemma, I think adopting is a wonderful thing to do and I am really excited by the thought of it, I dont want to junp ahead too far as we are still having tx as you know, but like you, I would like to adopt one day even if the IVF does work. Dont apologise for jumping in hun always good to see you :happy:

Thanks Sarah, I guess I will need to contact my LA to get a complete picture - always good to peice a few things together first, thanks for your help xx

Marlene

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 10:53pm

Hi sunflower,

in reply to your earlier questions about LAs & approaching them , we could not be processed by our LA as we live in such a small one, so they told us to contact LAs & Vas within about a 30 mile radius.

SO we did , loads & Loads...... and we got there as you can see now approved...

With regards to being out of treatment , we didnt have to get a letter/confirmation of finishing treatment , however when doing the home study visit , you do go into a lot of depth about , how you are emotionally , how youve dealt with infertility , if that was an issue , like me and needed to be sure it wasn't just the next best thing really ...

Now we have gone through the process , we are so very excited that somewhere sleeping in their beds are our children, they are in our hearts and just not yet in our home

xxx Good luck hun with your treatment

Beautiful Daughter and gorgeous Son through adoption, my family now complete , 2009 started our journey and complete Oct 2012 ....

parteepartee

Sun Flower

Superstar

Sunday, March 1st 2009, 10:30am

Thank you Marlene

Congratulations on being approved, you must be so excited.

I hope the time passes quickly and your children come home very soon

lots of love xxxxxxx

Reg: Jun 4th 2008

Sunday, March 1st 2009, 3:47pm

Hi sunflower

I am just starting on my adoption process so the other girls have more or less answered most things. We are going with an agency, the reason.........my LA has a long wait list, we had to wait 6 months till fertility treatment ended to allow for grieving, we then had to have another home visit to open our case again(as they had closed it) and then in November was told about 6 months till we get a SW and then in Jan told another 8 mnths.

However since Nov have been enquiring with agency and now they have got us a SW almost straight away after some checks and interviews etc etc and then I am now formally applyiing to them, so my LA is out of the picture now.

YOu can enquire to as many agencies as you like and ring round loads, its quite interesting all their criteria, but when push comes to shove you can only apply to one, so choose carefully who your feel really comfortable with.

Anyway sweetie, get thru what you have to get thru first dont worry about all of this you have some big times coming up ahead and I wish you really well and lots of luck in your journey.

Becky
Me 43

TTC 6 years
12x clomid BFN
3 IUIS BFN
2 IUI's overstimulated
1 natural preg m/c Dec 07
Adoption journey started April04/09

Now a mummy

Sun Flower

Superstar

Sunday, March 1st 2009, 4:22pm

Hi Becky
Thank you so much, its really helpful reading others journey and how they have found info and criteria from LA's and agencies.

I will look more into the agency side of things as I am interested in the process even if we are not doing it for a few years.

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your journey hun

best of luck xxxx

chatterbox

Megastar

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

Monday, March 9th 2009, 4:31pm

Hi Sunflower

Like you we would like to adopt even if we get our miracle baby. It's quite a minefield of where to apply and who to go through. I think I've been put off my LA as one of my best friend's is an adoption team SW and I've heard some nightmares from her about the birth parents of adopted children kicking off etc etc. Quite scary and our area is quite small.
Personally I'd like to make the adoption process as anonymous as possible...so I really feel the child will be ours. Does that sound nuts?

:goodluck: with this tx and your future path too. :D

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE