You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

alfie

Reg: May 5th 2009

Children: NONE

Tuesday, May 5th 2009, 5:48pm

I was going to the gym regularly before IVF about 4 times a week - body pump, step aerobics etc as i had put on weight over the last 6mths. i also gave up alcohol so found myself with a lots of time on a sat and sun morning when i would normally be recovering with a hangover. I asked the nurses about exercise and I was told I was okay to carry on with what my body was used to and listen to what my body says. So! I carried on until about 6 days before egg collection as i was getting aches in my ovaries and in the last class i went to i just felt i couldnt do sit ups. I think the main advice is dont start any new regime and follow what feels right. My egg collection etc was still good - 12 eggs. 9 matured and 6 fertilised all 6 still there for transfer (2 grade A and 4 Grade B but borderline grade A) transferred one and froze the rest in 2WW now!
Alfie

Reg: Nov 26th 2007

Tuesday, May 12th 2009, 9:12am

Just wanted to update this to say that this is my fourth cycle and I decided that this time round I would carry on excercising as normal during stimms (I do circuit training three days a week and then on the other four days I go to the gym and do 45 mins cardio) as I get a bit stressy when I don't excercise!

Anyway, I had my first follie scan yesterday and I've had one of my best responses so far. Whilst I know that this is due to the increase in drugs its reassured me that carrying on with my normal routine hasn't affected my cycle.
Me 32 - Blocked tubes cleared 2007, very slim chance of conceiving naturally
DH 31 - No problems

1st IVF Dec 07 - Poor response - BFN
2nd IVF Mar 08 - BFN
3rd IVF - Sep 08 - BFP but didn't quite make it :sadface:
4th IVF - May 09 - BFN

5th IVF - Nov 10 - BFN

kimtia

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Hopefully one day.......

Wednesday, May 13th 2009, 12:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Paul Entwistle

Quoted

Originally posted by chatterbox
the overall benefits of exercise of which I'm rather fond!!.. for me personally exercise is something I could not do without.

Hi,

I don't do any exercise as I have found that it makes the ice jump out of my gin and tonic.

Paul

pmsl I love it :D

Reg: May 6th 2009

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 3:58pm

better to exercise or not?

Hi, I am a new member and have been reading all the responses about exercise whilst on stimulation injections. I am an exercise addict and am feeling very guilty that, as of day 4, i just have not felt well enough to do any exercise. This is my 3rd IVF attempt and am on menagon instead of gonal F which seems worse: it is making me feel really nauseaus. Normally I swim a mile or run 6km every day. Please help.....is it better for me to rest or should I make the effort to swim. I couldn't contemplate running as am too tired. I really just want to do what is best and there seem to be mixed answers. I would willingly give it up, if recommended but some people say that it is better to keep active so I am now totally confused.

Thanks
Lindy

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 4:05pm

Hi lindy,

The most important thing is for you to listen to your body. I guess gentle exersise would be ok if you feel like it - but remember your body is using a lot of energy at the moment to produce your follicles - so internally you're already exercising!!

It is normal to feel very tired because of all the drugs - most importantly make sure you are well rested and very well hydrated. You should drink at least 2 litres of fluid a day and this should increase if you are exercising.

:xxx3:

Moonshine

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 4:07pm

Hi Lindy,
Welcome to FZ!
You are right, there are mixed answers... I'd say in general, do whatever feels best. If you feel you need to exercise, do, and if you feel tired and bloated, rest.
Here is an earlier discussion on gym sessions during IVF:
Not allowed to do aerobic exercise?
Hope that helps, and lots of luck with your 3rd IVF. How many days have you been taking menagon now?
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

twinkletoes

Superstar

Reg: Mar 29th 2008

Children: 1 stepson 1 stepdaughter

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 6:00pm

Hi there Lindy, and welcome to this fantastic site, hope you settle in and feel at home with us real soon,
I would agree with the others, do what exercise you feel you can cope with, my first attempt at IVF i wasnt capable of doing any exercise at all, but the second attempt was a little more active, but still couldnt cope with full blown exercise, so do as you feel capable of doing.

Wishing you all the luck on your journey,

keep us updated on progress

blowkiss

IVF #1 :BFN: IVF #2 APRIL 08 :BFN: IVF #3 Sept 08 :BFN: IVF #4 Feb 09 :BFN: June 09 FET embryo's didnt survive
Tubes Removed 11/08

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Friday, May 15th 2009, 1:35pm

RE: better to exercise or not?

Hi Lindy

Welcome to FZ hon :D

Quoted

Originally posted by lindydawn

Please help.....is it better for me to rest or should I make the effort to swim. I couldn't contemplate running as am too tired.

Ok...so let's ditch the running if you're too tired! I did do a little bit of running in my 3rd cycle during stimms but to be honest, it was uncomfortable and I didn't think I was doing my follies any good either.

As far as swimming then I'd say yes that's absolutely fine but i wouldn't recommend a mile even though you're clearly used to doing that kind of length. Just be sensible and do maybe 20/30mins (hoping that's not a mile in distance :P ) but don't beat yourself up if you just want to put your feet up on the sofa and watch tv! *When* you get pregnant you will certainly want to be taking it easy anyway so perhaps this is good preparation!

If you want some company during the next week or two, then do check out the Cycle Buddy Chatter board! You'd be a MAY MARVELS! (April/May) - just post a reply and say :hello: It's great to chat to others going through ivf at the same time.

Best of luck to you [zx189]

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Reg: Mar 14th 2009

Children: A special baby boy and a beautiful baby girl

Monday, June 22nd 2009, 7:32am

Exercise during IVF

Hi everyone,

Due to start D/R this week and wanted to ask whether it is advisable to do exercise (aerobics, swimming etc) during the treatment. Or will I be too tired anyway??

Many thanks,
Nikki x

Over 5 years TTC, unexplained infertility
IVF Aug 09, IUI Nov 09, IUI Jan 10, IUI Mar 10 :BFN:
IVF Jul 10 :BFP:
Shock natural :BFP: on 16 Oct 12

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NikkiH" (Jun 22nd 2009, 7:32am)

Calypso

Superstar

Monday, June 22nd 2009, 7:54am

Hi Nikki
You might find you get tired with down-reg, and some ladies get quite bad headaches. Some ladies don't really feel any different. I think the advice during down-reg, is to listen to your body and do what you feel is within your limits. I wouldn't advise doing any more than you normally do though. Once you start stimming, it isn't really a good idea to exert yourself, as you have to be very careful not to get dehydrated. You will need to be drinking approx 2 litres of water per day during stimms, and that's without exercise!

Hope that helps. Good luck!
xxx

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning how to dance in the rain

Jan 08 Fibroid removed. May 08 IUI - BFN :sadface:
Nov 08 IVF 7 eggs (just one fertilised :sadface: - BFN
May 09 ICSI 1 - 7 eggs (two fertilised) BFN :sadface:
Aug 09 Another fibroid removed
Nov 09 ICSI 2 - 1 mature egg (it fertilised) BFN :sadface:

My journey is now over

twinkletoes

Superstar

Reg: Mar 29th 2008

Children: 1 stepson 1 stepdaughter

Tuesday, June 23rd 2009, 6:24pm

Hi Nikki, i am in agreance with Calypso, do what your body tells you, first round of IVF i didnt have the energy or stamina to do anything, but second time round i found i had quite a bit of energy, so it does differ from tx to tx person to person, so do as you feel at the time.

Wishing you lots of luck on your journey

blowkiss

IVF #1 :BFN: IVF #2 APRIL 08 :BFN: IVF #3 Sept 08 :BFN: IVF #4 Feb 09 :BFN: June 09 FET embryo's didnt survive
Tubes Removed 11/08

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Wednesday, June 24th 2009, 7:51am

Hi, I agree with the ladies. Listen to your body! I'm down regulating at the moment and I can't face the gym, so I'm giving it a break. I was told not to do aerobic excercise (except for gentle walking) during stimming cos of 1) you mught get dehydrated, 2) you want the blood to go to your ovaries.

Some ladies carry on excercing till e/c. Really it depends on how you feel.
blowkiss

Reg: Nov 1st 2009

Friday, November 13th 2009, 6:14pm

riding my bicycle

Hello,

This might be a really dumb question but I'm wondering if anyone continued riding a bike through their IVF cycle. Just about to start my first cycle (or restart it after slight hitch). I commute to work by bike - 14 miles a day - and spend a lot of free time cycling around. I cycle like a granny and my Miss Marple bike is built like a tank so i don't really exert myself too much. But I guess there will be points in the process where it's not a great idea to roll around town in heavy traffic and times too when 14 miles might be a bit too much of a mission. Although i wonder if some exercise is good for health and stress release.

Anyone got any advice or had any experiences?

frangipan

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, November 13th 2009, 7:55pm

Hi frangipan,
I don't think you can do any harm cycling during your IVF, but because it is quite a distance, you might want to check that with your clinic. Also, during the second week of stims you might feel a little bloated and not really fancy a long bike ride!
I guess see how you feel and have alternative way to travel lined up?
And if you do stop cycling, going for a gentle work is a nice and safe replacement exercise to help keep your stress levels down.

M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Reg: Nov 26th 2009

Children: none as yet! HOPING 2012 WILL BE OUR YEAR

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 2:24pm

Exercise or no exercise very confused.com

Was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this i have been told lots of different things.Was originally told no cardio/weights just gentle exercise like yoga.When i started my first injection of Bruserlin on Thursday i asked the nurse again and she said it was fine so long as my body is used to exercise.

I always exercise in fits and starts because of my job,sometimes 4 times a week and then not at all for a couple of weeks,so do i do weights and running or not?.I haven't done any for the last 3 weeks and am starting to feel like i want to get back into it,what did anyone else do or get told please?. ?o( ?o(

MY DIARY

TTC SINCE JULY 2008
ME 34 ( couple of immune issues Inc low progestrone)
DP 40 LOW [zx151] COUNT
2 x ICSI 2010/2011 = BFN's :bawl:
Icsi no.3 with immune meds nov 2011 = BFN! :bawl:
Round no.4 FET March 2012

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 3:43pm

Hi

I exercised as normal (gym cardio and light weights) until EC then only did walking until test day. I personally think during stimms life should carry on as much as normal and exercise for me is a great stress reliever.

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 4:41pm

Hi

I've merged your thread with one that we already have about exercise

Also, there is some chat about it in this thread

ICSI Questions

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 7:36pm

Thanks guys.

Had a look at that thread Eeyore very helpful thanks.

Think i am going to go to the gym tomorrow and get back in the swing of things,but a bit lighter than i used to do.

xxxxxxxxx

MY DIARY

TTC SINCE JULY 2008
DP 40 LOW [zx151] COUNT

Reg: Sep 9th 2010

Saturday, September 11th 2010, 4:28pm

Is sport /any exercise good for you while going through IVF?

Hi
I was just wondering if anybody out there has any experience /knowledge about what is good or bad in sense of exercise while going through IVF.

I love sport; I play volleyball at national league level, adore mountain biking and love swimming. We also do lots of walking when we have time, but I am not sure what is the right amount and intensity of exercise I should do.
When I asked at the clinic I was told that I should do what I feel like it and true enough at the end of the 2 weeks of injections I did not exactly feel like jumping up and down as even walking in high heels made my ovaries scream out - not good! :)

But what about after the collection and if I am lucky enough to get pregnant, what about then? I am not sure I can do nothing for 9 months?

Does anybody has any advise?
Please let me know. Thank you
[zx147]

MY DIARY

April'10-IVF 4 eggs-none fertilised
Sep'10-ICSI 2 eggs,1 fertilised 7/10/10 BFN
Jan'11-ICSI 13 eggs,9 fertilsed, 2x8 cells put back - 4/2/11 BFN
May'11-ICSI 14 eggs,9 fertilised - none made it to day 5
Aug'11-DE,Czech Rep 13/8 2 blasts trans,1 frostie - :BFP:
Scan 8/9/11,3/10/11,20/10/11,15/12/11,6/1/12,2/2/12, 2/3/12, 5/4/12 bab10 bab11
Twins arrived 8/4/12 both healthy

Saturday, September 11th 2010, 7:20pm

hey hun :bye: . Gosh thought i was active!!!. I have just finished my 1st icsi and like you i love hiking and the gym etc.. They said it perfectly fine to carry on as normal when you are DR. Once you start stimms she said i may carry on,but might feel to uncomfy and bloated to do so and boy was she right!. I didn't do anything but yoga that week.

After EC i rested for a day then carried on as normal. Only did walking the dog up the hills though as i was very sore for a few days and then it was ET time. They told me no areobic exercise or sex!! after ET anything that made you sweat to much,but i could carry on as normal. I rested the first 3 days after ET on the sofa then just walked the dog everyday and gererally pottered.

It is a personal preferance though,a lot of the time i didn't feel like going the gym and couldn't fit in my stuff i was that bloated. Basically you can still do what you do just tone it down a little. I know a few girls who are up the duff from ivf and they are still excercising,but just not high intense areobics. blowkiss blowkiss

MY DIARY

TTC SINCE JULY 2008
DP 40 LOW [zx151] COUNT

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Sunday, September 12th 2010, 4:36pm

Personaly I wouldn't excercise on the 2ww just to avoid overheating as it is considered bad for your embies but if you get your BFP you can continue with excercise but it's better to consult someone and get them to set you a suitable excercise programme. High impact sport is generally out but swimming, weights, cycling and things like that should be OK providing you don't go OTT. Keep it gentle and try not to get yourself really, really hot and sweaty.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Reg: Feb 16th 2009

Children: Yes please

Monday, September 13th 2010, 7:20pm

i think you just need to keep your heart rate below a certain point.... as you are fitty I would imagine you'll still be fine with an aerobic activity of some kind. Best seek professional advice as suggested above, but I don't think you'll need to go mad! xx

3 IUI and 5 IVF :BFN:
What's the future?
MY DIARY

High NK and high PAI-1
On Metformin & Immune Cycle

Reg: Sep 9th 2010

Wednesday, September 15th 2010, 8:55pm

Hi girls
thanks for your comments. I am on the 10th day of my second ICSI cycle and decided to pass on the training tonight . I know if I go in I am unlikely to take it easy so I am having the night in, which means I have a chance to catch up on FZ :thumbsup: .Down side to this is that I have eaten well to much chocolate tonight - I will not be able to do this every week otherwise I will turn into a balloon soon :)

From the scan today it looks like I will be going for collection on Monday 17/9 so fingers crossed I will feel ok after it and hopefully in couple of weeks time I will be fit enough to go out for a nice long walk.

Take care and thanks again.

MY DIARY

April'10-IVF 4 eggs-none fertilised
Sep'10-ICSI 2 eggs,1 fertilised 7/10/10 BFN
Jan'11-ICSI 13 eggs,9 fertilsed, 2x8 cells put back - 4/2/11 BFN
May'11-ICSI 14 eggs,9 fertilised - none made it to day 5
Aug'11-DE,Czech Rep 13/8 2 blasts trans,1 frostie - :BFP:
Scan 8/9/11,3/10/11,20/10/11,15/12/11,6/1/12,2/2/12, 2/3/12, 5/4/12 bab10 bab11
Twins arrived 8/4/12 both healthy

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE