You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "NuttyTart71" started this thread

Reg: Jan 8th 2009

Children: Praying for a little miracle.

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 6:50pm

SA RESULTS - At last received a copy of our Report!

Dear Sperm Scientist/Paul/Forum Members

After many requests myself and my DH have at last received a copy of his SA report. The report shows:

Days Abstinence: 3

Appearance: Normal

Liquefaction: Complete on receipt (45 mins time delay)

Volume: 6.3ml

Viscosity: Normal viscosity

PH: 7.9

Rapid progression: 15%

Slow Progression: 40%

Forward Progression: 55%

Non Progressive Motility: 5%

Immotile: 40%

Progression: OK

Agglutination: 0%

Debris: Scanty

Non Specific Aggregation: Scanty

Density: 4.4 million/ml

Total Count: 27.090 million

Total motile: 16.254 million

Morphology result could not be confirmed, as it is shown at 5%. However consultant advised that ALL test results are currently showing at under 15% morphology, even "good" results, and that this is something they are looking into.

The consultant gave us the impression that there is little chance of our conceiving naturally (all tests have shown I am ok FSH, LS & Progesterone levels good). Waiting list for ICSI is a year - hoping for a miracle before then.

Any advice on this report would be very, very gratefully received.

Kindest regards
NT71

:xxx3:
babydust
Courage isn't having the strength to carry on, it's carrying on when you don't have the strength

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 7:43pm

Sorry!

Apologies....have just realised this isn't in the Sperm scientist forum. Have copied post over. :O

babydust
Courage isn't having the strength to carry on, it's carrying on when you don't have the strength

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 8:40pm

RE: SA RESULTS - At last received a copy of our Report!

Quoted

Days Abstinence: 3 - Volume: 6.3ml - Rapid progression: 15%
- Slow Progression: 40% - Forward Progression: 55% - Density: 4.4 million/ml - total Count: 27.090 million - Morphology result could not be confirmed, as it is shown at 5%. However consultant advised that ALL test results are currently showing at under 15% morphology, even "good" results - The consultant gave us the impression that there is little chance of our conceiving naturally

The first thing that strikes me is the high volume. There is a inverse correlation between the sperm concentration and the volume. A 'normal' sperm volume is around 2-3 ml. Some men do have a naturally high volume but this will nearly always give a reduced count, ie the specimen is diluted down by the excess volume. Some men of 'normal' fertility will have a semen volume of only 1 ml and a sperm concentration of 25 million and be called normal, yet they will in fact have less sperm in their samples than DH has. So although his count is obviously low, the high volume is a factor in reducing his sperm count.

One reason for a high volume is a seminal infection, which is not uncommon. This is not due to anything he has 'caught' but a self infection. The prostate tends to become infected easily, rather like the appendix, and this can give a high volume and also a reduced motility as the seminal fluid becames toxic to sperm. However there is usually an increase in the number of white cells in this situation, which they have not recorded.

The story about the morphology is odd, unless the laboratory have changed their categorisation of sperm from WHO (normal range > 30%) to Kruger classification, in which all specimens will be below 15% normal, and the normal range is around 7-14%. But surely the lab would have told the consultants if they had changed their normal range, and surely some-one should have noticed and queried this.

A pregnancy is not impossible with this sort of specimen, but you would need to be more than average fertile to achieve this, and it might take longer to achieve. I feel that you will have to wait for the second test and see the difference if any.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 7:29pm

Thanks for your advice Paul.

I don't know if this is any way related to my DH's low count ,possibly being caused by a seminal infection, but a few weeks ago DH went through a series of kidney scans and x-rays, as he has been experiencing persistent pain around the kidney area for some time. The scans came back clear - no kidney problems, but he is still suffering from the pain.

Are these symptoms indicative of an prostate/seminal infection at all?

My fertility tests have, so far been encouraging. My FSH level was 7.8 and LH was 5.6 on day 3 (originally I was told my FSH was 5.6 LH was 7.8 - pity this wasn't the case!) My progesterone level was 68 on day 21. I haven't had any further tests to rule out blockage etc. Was due to go in for a lap & dye, which as been cancelled following DH's SA report. Not sure if my results give an indication that I am "more than average" fertile, I'm 37 so I realise that this affects matters quite a bit too??

Kind Regards
NT71 xx

babydust

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 10:38pm

Quoted

he has been experiencing persistent pain around the kidney area for some time. The scans came back clear - no kidney problems, but he is still suffering from the pain. Are these symptoms indicative of an prostate/seminal infection at all?... My FSH level was 7.8 and LH was 5.6 on day 3 (originally I was told my FSH was 5.6 LH was 7.8 - pity this wasn't the case!) My progesterone level was 68 on day 21. I haven't had any further tests to rule out blockage etc. Was due to go in for a lap & dye, which as been cancelled following DH's SA report. Not sure if my results give an indication that I am "more than average" fertile, I'm 37 so I realise that this affects matters quite a bit too??

Most prostatic infections are symptomless until they become severe and he has a discharge. His kidney type pain may just be a clue, although I don't think so. Mention this to the urologist though.

Your corrected hormone results are even more normal, as it is usual for the FSH to be more than the LH, as yours now are. And your progesterone at 68 is very good, and indicates that in hormonal terms you are very fertile. Except in the total absence of sperm I can never see the logic of saying that you don't need a lap & dye because he has a low count. It is easy to blame the reduced count for the lack of a pregnancy, when it could still be your tubes or pelvis, and in view of the count it is doubly important to check that you are not adding to the problem. I get so irritated by this lack of common sense and of consideration for patient's feelings. It is not very likely that there is a major problem, but you need to know, and only a test can prove things are really ok with you.

Let us know how things are going.

Paul

XX
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE