You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "bunny2tot" started this thread

Reg: May 5th 2008

Monday, January 26th 2009, 11:21am

Do we have mf problems?

I just wondered if any of you could help me. I am desperately trying to piece together our situation to decide what to do next.

We have had two icsi attempts, both times 10/11 mature eggs. First time no fertilisation, second low fertilisation and bfn.

We have been told that this could be a male factor issue. My dh has got high morphology and low/fluctuating sperm count 14ml - 55ml.... HOWEVER... we have been told by an embryologist that there were plenty of healthy looking sperm to choose from.

He has had all the dna fragmentation/chromosome tests which didnt show any problems.

So basically I am trying to find out whether you can have healthy looking sperm and still have a problem. Anyone in this situation or been in this situation.

Or should I accept that it might be my eggs even though they look healthy too.

Bunnyx

chalmers206

Superstar

Reg: Feb 5th 2007

Children: my beatufil boy born on 22/4/10

Monday, January 26th 2009, 12:20pm

RE: Do we have mf problems?

hi Bunny,

Sorry i dont know the answer to your question but i am sure someone will answer you soon. xx
2ND ES/ICSI AUG 09 = :BFP
THOMAS JOHN (TJ) BORN 22/4/10
DEC 2012 :BFP:
ONE BEAUTIFUL [zx076] SEEN 9/1/13

Reg: Nov 7th 2008

Children: 1 DD born 1998 (previous marriage)

Monday, January 26th 2009, 2:16pm

Have you thought about getting DH to take supplements to decreased abnormal sperm? Selenium and pycnogel are supposed to be very good for sperm. There is a chapter in Zita Wests book - Trying to Conceive.

Hope it helps and good luck
Me 35 DH 32
Lap May 09 - Clipped tubes
1st IVF Sept 09 Abandoned
2nd IVF Nov 09 - ET 20/11/09 BFN
3rd IVF ET w/c 12 April 2010 BFN

4th IVF EC w/c 9th May

:snowangel:

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 11:15pm

RE: Do we have mf problems?

Quoted

We have had two icsi attempts, both times 10/11 mature eggs. First time no fertilisation, second low fertilisation and bfn.....We have been told that this could be a male factor issue. My dh has got high morphology and low/fluctuating sperm count 14ml - 55ml....we have been told plenty of healthy looking sperm to choose from

Hi Bunny,

You can have normal looking sperm that don't fertilise just as you can have normal looking eggs that don't. The only ever proof of fertility is an embryo leading to a baby. DH's sperm picture varying 14-56 million, is not unusual and not indicative of a sperm problem, and 56 million is an excellent count. When you say he has high morphology do mean a high %age of normal sperm or of abnormal sperm? Either way though, if there are plenty of normal, active sperm about this is reassuring.

Some women do not produce as good eggs during IVF/ICSI stimulation as they would produce naturally - the whole idea of producing 10 mature follicles, containing mature eggs, is abnormal - it would never happen in natural cycles. So often after stimulation, even though the eggs look fine, then are not ideal and fertilise poorly, or develop poorly. This is one of the reason for Units choosing to do natural cycle (or low technology) IVF.

Unless the embryologist can make any suggestions or the Unit can use a different mode of stimulation, the only way that you can ever tell whether it is the sperm or the eggs that is letting you down, is to try fertilising half of the next batch of eggs with donor sperm. But this is a whole new situation which you would have to think about carefully and discuss at length with all concerned.

But the first step is to talk at length with the Unit staff about what they think is going wrong and what are the options for change. Ask if there is any reason to suspect chromosomal defects in eggs or sperm that they can screen for.

Good luck.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

• "bunny2tot" started this thread

Reg: May 5th 2008

Friday, January 30th 2009, 5:22pm

Thanks Paul

I am interested in what you say about natural ivf cycles. What exactly are these. I dont think my clinic do this.

Also I have high fsh 10 -15. Could that be the explanation. I find it hard to accept that out 21 eggs, all were chromosonally flawed.

Can women do anything to improve egg quality.

Bx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "bunny2tot" (Jan 30th 2009, 5:23pm)

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE