You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "rainbow" started this thread

Reg: Oct 30th 2008

Sunday, January 4th 2009, 3:48pm

biopsy on nhs

hiya im looking for a bit of advice at df's last appointment with urologist he mentioned they may perform a biopsy further down the line. so is that the same as ssr? and if they find anything what will they do with it?will they freeze it? thanks in advance xxx
Dh-Azoospermia...waiting to start our DIUI journey

Sun Flower

Superstar

Sunday, January 4th 2009, 5:40pm

Hi Rainbow
How are you hun?

At our clinic when DH had his SSR (sometimes called an extraction or retrieval) they said they would freeze anything that they find for ICSI treatment in the future (but not all clinics do this) I have read that some simply do the procedure to see if there are any swimmers in there and then they perform a fresh SSR on the day of egg collection. As you know it was unsuccessful for us, but many others have had a positive experience with SSR. Im sure you will be fine hun

There are 2 main types I think, PESE & TESE - there is loads of info on here about them if you do a search. Also if you check out the male factor section there are a few posts which DuffyMoon kindly replied to when I was asking questions about the procedure. I am sorry I dont know how to do a link, but you should find them with a search.

Im sure someone will be along with a more medical explanation (if not maybe you could PM Duffy, Im sure she wouldn't mind)

Hope you get some answers hun

Good luck xx

Sunday, January 4th 2009, 7:19pm

thanks sunflower, im just wondering because its the nhs if they do the same xxx

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Sunday, January 4th 2009, 10:53pm

RE: biopsy on nhs

Quoted

they may perform a biopsy further down the line. so is that the same as ssr?

Hi Rainbow,

As Sun Flower has said there are various different sites from which sperm can be retrieved and different ways of removing sperm from these sites, but these are all referred to as SSR (surgical sperm retrieval). Depending upon the diagnosis i.e. whether a blockage or a testicular sperm non-production problem, attempts can be made to recover sperm from the epididymis (the sperm collecting sac next to the testicle, where sperm accumulate and mature), or from the testicle itself. There are advantages and disadvantages of these approaches.

In calling it a biopsy it sounds as if it is the testicle that is going to be explored. Whatever the technique however it is important that the unit doing the biopsy has access to sperm freezing facilities. Any sperm that are recovered can then be frozen for future use, rather than just discarded. If your partner is azoospermic this is very important, as sometimes sperm can be recovered on one occasion and then not at all on a later occasion.

So check this out nearer the time. In the meantime several semen examinations, and blood assay of FSH and LH hormones will give a pretty good idea of the nature of the problem.

Good luck.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Monday, January 5th 2009, 10:59am

thanks paul, df has had blood tests to check his fsh and testosterone etc and they were all within normal ranges we are now waiting for his ultrasound scan xxx

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE