You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 14 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mrsmoo

• "mrsmoo" started this thread

Reg: Dec 16th 2008

Children: 1 daughter 7

Tuesday, December 16th 2008, 9:37pm

Failed reversal

Hi, Im new here but my husband and I have just found out that his vasectomy reversal has failed. We are now left with 2 choices, donar insemination or IVF using a teqnique to extract sperm direct from his testes. Has anyone gone thru the latter? I believe it adds another £1800 onto the cost of 'normal' IVF? Is it less successful? We would be self funding as we both have children from prev. relationships.

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 12:30pm

Hi Mrsmoo, so sorry to hear the op was unsuccessful. My DH had a vas rev Jan last year and sadly this did not work. We were so devastated, over the couple of years he has had about 5 SAs, most 0 but one about 6 months ago had 3 sperm...we were a bit confused as consultant told us tubes so damaged no way for anything to get through. But then another one on the day of EC showed 0 :sadface:

Anyway, at the time of the op DH had some (8 vials) of sperm aspirated (though I know this can be done quite simply on its own) and we had this frozen (about £150 a year) until we started our first round of IVF in September. We had ICSI and...it has worked first time!! We are so lucky! I really didn't think it would, I don't know why, it just seems that the odds are stacked against you, but all was fine with me and the quality of DH's sperm was pretty good so it was just a case of the clever embryologist mixing them together!

DH has children from a previous relationship too so we have had to pay privately (though apparently some PCTs do still fund one treatment after vasectomy reversal). I don't know how much a TESE/PESA/MESA costs on its own but together with the vasectomy reversal ours cost £2.5K and then ICSI was £3.5K (thank god for credit cards :snigger:).

I wish you all the luck in the world xxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012 : D
2nd ICSI - May 18 - BFN
4th FET - Sept 18 - BFP but Ectopic MTX 7+4

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 12:47pm

Welcome to :FZ: Mrs Moo

You might want to take a look at the male factor section HERE there is loads of information here, plus there are others there that know what you're going through. I know we do have a few member in a similar situation to yourselves.

Anyway, I hope you like it on here, we have very friendly and supportive members that are sure to make your TTC journey that little bit easier, I hope you feel right at home with us all soon.

Here are some links that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a getting started on fertilityzone thread HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ and a few guidelines too.

There is a secondary infertility/trying again section HERE where you can talk to others in a similar position to yourself.

There is a how to search section HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your TTC journey, I hope you get your BFP soon!!

blowkiss

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

mrsmoo

• "mrsmoo" started this thread

Reg: Dec 16th 2008

Children: 1 daughter 7

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 2:21pm

Hey Dusky7 thats fantastic news! Many congratulations.

Wish we had been given the opportunity to have sperm aspirated at the time too, but seems DH is gonna have to go thru another procedure separately. We were told that due to it being 10 years plus since vasectomy that our chances were slim of a reversal succeeding.

Must say tho, having read how the whole IVF thing works, it all seems pretty daunting what with the daily injections etc. How did you find it? Also, how did u go about choosing a clinic, there seem so many? Sorry to pick your brains like this but we've suddenly find ourselves in a whole new world here.

All said and done tho, I reckon its gotta be worth at least one go to mke one between us.

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 3:15pm

Well, this was our first time so we had absolutely no idea what to expect, when I first came on FZ I thought it was a whole other language that I would never understand (obviously there is still loads that I don't) but you get to grips with the bits you need to quite quickly.

When I started to look into it and read about it I though OMG, I can't do that, injection myself? No way, I hate needles!! It really is the first one that is the worst (you'll hear that a lot but it's so true), it's the weirdness of it and the not knowing and the apprehension etc but it really hardly hurts at all.

I was on a long protocol so I took the pill for 5 weeks, then had a v brief period and then started down regulating injections, Buserilin in the morning. That was for about 3 weeks then had to inject a stimulation drug called Puregon in the evenings (as well as continuing DR) for about 10 days, then had a break for one day and then did 'the big hammer' HcG injection, ours was pregnyl. Then had egg collection 2 days after that and then embryo transfer 2 days after that.

EC was fine, as was ET though I did feel quite tender inside after EC. It is such an emotional rollercoaster of a time but is obviously all worth it in the end isn't it. It's just about a month of injections and then hopefully a baby!!! smile2

Regards a clinic, there was only one in our area we could choose from. There is quite a lot on the net about them and we did look into Bath and Bristol (I live in devon) but fortunately we went with the closest. Which I am so thankful for now considering the amount of times we have had to visit it! I am sure girls on here can advise you about clinics in Hertfordshire.

Everyone here is so helpful and kind, I am sure somebody will be able to answer anyone of your questions. Please ask me anything you like, at all, will be happy to help. Look forward to following your journey, good luck hon xxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012 : D
2nd ICSI - May 18 - BFN
4th FET - Sept 18 - BFP but Ectopic MTX 7+4

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 14 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE