You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sun Flower

Superstar

• "Sun Flower" started this thread

Monday, November 24th 2008, 2:58pm

2nd opinion from an NHS urologist? Is it worth trying?

Hi everyone
we are currently planning and preparing for IVF with donor sperm to start in January.

My DH had 2 SA both showing zero sperm, this was followed by a SSR which was un-successful. We have been advised to have IVF using donor sperm.

We are using a private clinic and their job is obviously to get me pregnant, however, I cant help wondering if the NHS would have carried out more tests before asking us to consider a donor? I have read other stories and spoken to people who have been reffered to a urologist and they are looking at possible operations on the NHS to correct the problem. My DH had undescended tests op when he was 7 yers old so our con suggests this could be the cause. The only sperm they found was dead and abnormal, the majority of tissue samples found contained no sperm at all.
I have suggested to Dh that we could see our GP and ask for a urologist referal but he is happy that all his tests are done (he had a bad time with the SSR) and he is OK about using a donor. I am OK with it too if it really is our only chance, but I cant help feeling that there may be something else out there for us?

I know I am probably clutching at straws here and the reality is that if the private SSR was negative then an NHS one would be too, but is that it on the NHS - do they then just offer donor sperm or would they do further ops and tests?

If anyone has any advice (big or small) I would love to read it, really need some reassurance that we are doing the right thing here, and not just rushing into donor IVF

many thanks xxxxx

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, November 24th 2008, 3:15pm

RE: 2nd opinion from an NHS urologist? Is it worth trying?

Hi Sunflower

Big :hugs:

I don't think you're rushing into donor sperm but I can totally understand the doubts you're having as to whether you have in fact completely ruled out the possibility of your DH being the father.

How much did your private urologist talk through the results with you? Did you ask if it was worth repeating?

From what I've read and learnt since my DH was found to be azoospermic, operations in this area are sadly just not an option for the majority.

I would suggest you return to your GP as clearly you still feel unsure about whether donor sperm is your *only* option. I don't however think you would be referred based on the results of the first SSR.

Do go and see your GP though honey - I'm sure he or she will help clarify what your options are.

xxxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Sun Flower

Superstar

• "Sun Flower" started this thread

Monday, November 24th 2008, 3:23pm

starsmile I knew Duffy the star would come shiny down and help me, thank you xx

I was having a little wobble when I typed the thread, I have since cleared my head, done a bit more reading and I relaise (and already knew, but sometimes have to remind myself) that no matter what op is performed to clear or repair tubes that have been damaged via an undescended testes op, if my Dh isn't prouding sperm (which if he was, they would have found via the SSR) then there is no point having an op on the tubes. I am just having days like this when I think what if?? and WHY?

Our con did say that he has colleagues who have performed ops and hormone injections for the male partner and then re-performed the SSR but again the results were unsuccessful so we would be wasting out time and money, they think that donor is an excellent idea for us. I have not discussed this with our GP although they are aware via letters from the clinic. I cant help wondering if the NHS would have a different view on this? I guess not, its just my mind playing tricks ?(

I also think that if the sperm extracted is not 100% in quality then that will affect the fertilisation rates and the overall success rate so I guess if we are both happy to use a donor then we will be using sperm which is in tip top condition and raring to fertilise and multiple :smile:

Thanks for your help Duffy, sometime I just like to post these threads to get the info out of my head, typing is therapy :happy:

xxx

Reg: Nov 18th 2008

Children: Manchester

Monday, November 24th 2008, 4:07pm

RE: 2nd opinion from an NHS urologist? Is it worth trying?

Hi Sunflower,

My DH was diagnosed on the NHS as having non obstructive azospermia and we were told that SSR was not an option and our only choice was donor sperm. I do however know how you feel as I felt that we were given no other alternatives but after talking it through and working out that we would have less than a 1% chance of SSR being successful we have decided that our only option is donor. There are times however when I do wonder if we could have had other options.

Good luck in January with the IVF I have my fingers crossed for you.

Take care,

Coops xxx
COOPS

1st DIUI Feb 09 :BFN:
2nd DIUI 9th March 09 :BFN:
3rd DIUI (Clomid 50mg) October 09 :BFN:
4th DIUI (Clomid 50mg) December 09 :BFN:
Transferred to Jessops for IVF. 1st appointment 10th May :hairout

2nd appointment 6th July :hairout
3rd appointment 26th October xfingers xfingers

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, November 24th 2008, 4:10pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sun Flower

Thanks for your help Duffy, sometime I just like to post these threads to get the info out of my head, typing is therapy :happy:

xxx

You're absolutely right Sunflower - typing is therapy and often hearing advice just helps give you that extra bit of reassurance.

Your consultant won't have just given up on your DH and said donor sperm is your only option without giving it a lot of thought; he will have based his advice on his experience and knowledge.

As you say, even when sperm is found in cases like mine, it doesn't guarantee you a happy outcome. Certainly in our follow ups donor sperm and even donor eggs has been raised by our consultant as something to think about should we continue to have failed cycles and we talk alot more about it now. I can never explain my thoughts very well but the way I think about it is do I want to have my own baby? or do I want to be a parent? At the moment I feel each cycle has got better and better that I really want to give it one more go but essentially we know we just want to have a baby of our own, be it via our own eggs and sperm or otherwise! If we do end up trying with donor sperm or eggs, or even adopting, it will be our way of having a baby and we'll love him or her just the same.

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE