You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "qwerty" started this thread

Reg: Oct 26th 2007

Children: One very beautiful daughter!

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 5:54pm

Pregnancy Travel Insurance?

Hi Everyone,

I am going to Spain in a few weeks (I will be 23 weeks or so) and I am looking into getting travel insurance that covers pregnancy. TBH, I am not sure how it all works as I am actually a Canadian citizen with permanent residency in the UK. Dh keeps telling me that I would not have to pay if I went to the hospital, but I am not convinced!

Has anyone bought travel insurance with pregnancy cover?

Thank you!!!!

ICSI March 2008 BFP, then early m/c, Natural BFP May 2008, m/c at 6 weeks
Natural :BFP: 08/08/08!!!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 6:20pm

We found that our normal travel insurance (we have annual cover) covered me up until 26 weeks of pregnancy. Most travel insurance providers are the same so you shouldn't need anything 'special'.

For Europe you should also get an EHIC card which would cover you for hospital treatment should you need it (it shows you are eligible for free or reduced cost emergency medical care, and should be carried with you all the time you are travelling in Europe but is not a substitute for travel insurance as it only covers emergency care and will not cover the cost of repatriation). I *think* you would get this with permanent UK residency but the DoH website will tell you for sure.

Hope that helps. Have a nice time :D

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 10:20pm

Hi Bubble,

DH and I looked into the European Health Card thingy and it says that if you are a UK citizen residing in the UK then you get the full health care. Then it goes on to say that if you are a resident then basically Canada would need to have an agreement with Spain for most treatment to be covered. Argh.

I don't have any sort of travel insurance, so maybe just getting a normal policy would be ok?

alie

Star

Reg: Oct 14th 2007

Children: Alfred born 10.12.2008 Florence born 21.10.2011

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 10:28pm

Hi I went to Spain in the summer and had a few problems finding insurance, this is copied from a thread written in the second trimester section.

"Thought I would update this as I was quite surprised to find lots of insurance co now won't cover your pregnancy if you have less than 18weeks before delivery (most used to be 8wks). I did find that sainsbury's were 12 weeks and they were happy to insure us for the pregnancy."

Hope this is useful, have a wonderful holiday

XXX

Me 42, DH 43
Nat Pg - m/m 05
unexplained infertility
4xIUI BFN, 1st IVF Oct 07 BFN
1st FET Feb 08 BFP

2nd FET Jan 11 BFP

Sunday, November 23rd 2008, 9:32am

Fantastic - thanks Alie!

Reg: Aug 3rd 2007

Tuesday, November 25th 2008, 5:40pm

You must get travel insurance and most do cover early pregnancy you just need to check. The EHIC card is only accepted at certain hospitals and clinics and in an emergency you would just want to get to the nearest place not start looking for a hospital that accepts it. Insurance is pretty cheap now and for the sake of £20 it is not worth taking the risk to you or the baby.
Lizzy

:xxx3:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE