You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sun Flower

Superstar

• "Sun Flower" started this thread

Monday, October 20th 2008, 1:27pm

Is there a shortage of sperm?

Hi all
I know that this question is very general but I was just wondering what the overall availability of sperm is in the UK? and in the Midlands area if anyone knows that too?

We are having our review appointment today and as Dh has had 2 SA which were zero and an SSR which was unsuccessful we think (and to be honest deep down in our hearts know) that our chances of ICSI with DH sperm are now at an end, we never even had a chance at treatment.

We are now looking forward and thinking about donor through our clinic, we will ask all questions later at the appointment but I was just curious about the overall level of sperm and how easy is it to match all requirements such as hair colour, eye colour etc... is there a waiting list? can clinics purchase sperm from other clinics?

any advice or info would be much appreciated, the donor side of things is all very new and a bit scary to us at the moment, so please help us!

wishing you all well on your journey's

lots love xx

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Monday, October 20th 2008, 9:02pm

Hey Sunflower

I know you have already been lucky enough to sort a donor but I thought it was worth answering your questions!

Unfortunatly sperm is not as readily available as it used to be. In 2005 there was a change in the law regarding donor and annoymous status. All donor now have to register their details with the HFEA (Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority) and any prospective child has access to this information when they are 18. Meaning a child can locate their Biological father, this has put many men off donating and has therefore caused some shortages. That said there are a lot of places that have their own sperm banks and have lots of donors. Clinics can buy in sperm from other clinic if they don't have any of their own or you may have to face waiting lists but there is sperm out there!

Each sperm donor is allowed to create 10 families, meaning you could have several children from the same donor if their sperm was available, not as it is often quoted as 10 children.

Sperm prices vary from place to place and often you have to buy more than one vial at a time usually ranging from 3 - 10 vials.

I hope that clarifies a few things but if you have anymore questions just shout!

x

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

Sun Flower

Superstar

• "Sun Flower" started this thread

Monday, October 20th 2008, 10:40pm

Thanks IndieChick
I know we are lucky to have been matched straight away but these questions were in my head earlier before the appointment, hence this post. Thanks for the info and for clarification. Con confirmed what you said, there has been a reduced number due to the new law in 2005 but clinics do have their supplies and ways and means so for anyone thinking about donor, the chances are, your clinic will have some sperm and fingers crossed it will be the right ones for you.....

xxxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE