You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Rosh75" started this thread

Reg: Sep 3rd 2008

Children: Hopefully!

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 9:23am

IVF & Male Factor

Hey guys

We got our referral put through for IVF yesteday and i was just wondering if any of you were having it purely for male factor?

DH got his second results which showed he had 1 million with 50% motility and only 10% progressive (morphology was okay it would seem).

GP told us it could take up to 18 weeks for our first appointment and i was wondering if anyone in a similar boat could share what happened with them if they had been given the initial OK by tests but their other half hadn't??

Thanks so much and good luck with your journeys :xxx3:

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 10:01am

RE: IVF & Male Factor

We were referred for IVF back in Feb 2007 for male factor. My DH's results are borderline average (for count, motility and morphology). All of my tests were fine. We have now conceived naturally three times. Though I wouldn't want to give you false hope here as our results are just about average. As I am now 35 and we feel that we don't conceive easily we will be starting IVF in January 2009. We have been told we will need ICSI - it is likely to be the same for you as well.
You'll find quite a few people on FZ who have been referred for male factor problems of low count and/or motility.

good luck xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 10:25am

Thanks for your reply.
I got a faint positive in Feb of this year but my period came 5 days later before the positive got darker so i'm hopeful that he does have some champion swimmers in there somewhere!

His volume is okay and GP has said 'appearance normal' so i'm presuming that is the morphology part. He only has 1 million though with 50% motility and 10% progressive motility. Hopefully the lifestyle changes/vits etc. will all help us! I've just turned 33 so i know how you feel about not wanting to wait around too long.

Good luck with January! xx

Reg: Jul 10th 2008

Children: TTC number one

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 10:33am

Hi Rosh75 I have answered your other post. I am 100% fine but DH has a low count and poor morphility (not sure of all the terms) we are waiting on treatment and it will probably be ICIS. Your not alone :tear:
Me 37 (low AMH) DH 40 (LSC)
TTC since Dec 2006
ICSI 1-Jan 2010 no response
ICSI 2-March 2011 (1 egg) BFN
ICSI 3 DE -Currently on 2WW test 24/3/12

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 12:16pm

Hi Rosh,

We are having IVF due to male factor only too. DH had a vasectomy reversal 6 years ago (from previous) and a reversal 21 months ago did not work. Well, they said it did not work at all. 2 SA tests were 0 and the 3rd, done in June this year, came back as '3', obviously not nearly enough but it shows they are still fighting! :smile:

So, we have been referred for ICSI (sadly have to go privately because of the vasectomy...) with frozen sperm extracted during the reversal.

This is our first ever treatment and is all quite scary and surreal really. Am DR at the moment and hope to start stimm injections next week.

Good luck with everything that you do xxxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN :-(
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN :bawl:
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 12:55pm

Hey dusky

Good luck with the injections! I've so got to read up on the IVF lingo - i do not have a clue what down regging is!!

Is it your first cycle?

I feel really daunted by what lies ahead and not sure what the FS will be planning on doing or how long it will all take!

I know you are private but how long did it take you guys from referral to starting?

I had my blood tests done through the GP but not sure if i'll have to have further tests done before it can all start?

Good luck and may your Christmas present be a good one!! :dust:

:xxx:

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

What's Up?

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 2:04pm

Hi Rosh,

Yes first cycle and first ever fertility treatment. I didn't have a clue about it before (and there is still heaps I don't know, this site is fab tho!).

Found out in Jan 07 that reversal hadn't worked :bawl:, waited another 3 months for another SA test (still negative), in June I had blood tests (days 2,3 and 4 of AF I think...) to see what was going on with me, all fine. Then saw the consultant in August who was extremely positive and said as we were young-ish (me 29 DH 37) and healthy and DH had good sperm (albeit frozen) so should be no problem at all....

We saved up the pennies and waited for paperwork to be sent through, saw the Consultant again in February this year, went through all the forms, consent etc.

Then the clinic called with my dates (in May). This was the weird bit cos I thought 'how do you know already what is going to happen'? I am on a long protocol (I have to say, I have no idea why...still...). The clinic sort of shuts down in August so that delayed it a little.

They gave me two dates that I had to come on inbetween, fortunately I did and I started taking the pill for five weeks. Then the day after stopping that 21.09.08 I started DR Buserelin injections. That was 12 days ago and am having a scan on the 8th to check that they have managed to stop everything working inside and then they have said hopefully I will start stimm injections that night. Have two more scans 13th and 17th and hopefully EC and ET the week of the 20th October!! :smile:

Cor, I don't half waffle on! Sorry, I am not sure if that will help at all or confuse you completely... I am still pretty hazy on stuff too but just read what I can about bits, ask peeps on here and wait for the clinic to tell me what to do.

Lots of luck to you, if I can help at all just ask (though I am complete novice, lots of more experienced people on here, but glad to if I can).

:hugs: :xxx:

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 3:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Dusky7

Cor, I don't half waffle on! Sorry, I am not sure if that will help at all or confuse you completely... I am still pretty hazy on stuff too but just read what I can about bits, ask peeps on here and wait for the clinic to tell me what to do.

Lots of luck to you, if I can help at all just ask (though I am complete novice, lots of more experienced people on here, but glad to if I can).

:hugs: :xxx:

That wasn't waffle trust me - i can write novels!!! lmao

So how are you feeling (hormone wise)? Also what is the different between long/short protocol?

At the moment we are going for NHS but will be saving at the same time just in case! Did you have to have any other things done apart from bloods?

When we got our first results i was shocked, cried a bit then pulled myself together. Second set i was just focused on what would happen nxt. I am so scared about the injections, have a real phobia about needles and i think the reason i'm saying 'i'll wait 8 months no worries' is because i'm scared about what to expect.

Hopefully the wait for our first appt won't be too long!

In the meantime you might be a novice but you are going through it right now so you, in my opinion, are a wealth of knowledge!!!!

Good luck hun and i hope the EC goes well! :cheeers:

Soooz

Star

Reg: Apr 3rd 2008

Children: 2 sons - Natural shock 99 & ICSI miracle 04

Saturday, October 4th 2008, 8:50pm

:hi: i had icsi in 2003 due to male factor (poor morphology, mobility and volume) and got a bfp (my son is now 4). I have had a natural conception bfp previously (my son is now 9). I am ok.

:goodluck: hun

x
:flowerbasket:

Proud mum to two sons - natural unexpected in 1999 :8o: and ICSI in 2004 : D

We must let go of the life we had planned;
to have the life waiting for us

Saturday, October 4th 2008, 9:12pm

Thanks Susie - fingers crossed 2009 will be our year!

Was your natural BFP despite the male factor? How many goes at ICSI did it take?

Sorry, so many questions!! xx

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

What's Up?

Monday, October 6th 2008, 8:14am

Hi Rosh, I am feeling ok, hormone wise (DH hasn't started telling me otherwise so I must be ok :snigger:). Am getting a few headaches and a bit bloated on the Buserelin but not bad at all. To be honest I don't know the difference between them, not sure whether I am just on a long one because the clinic was mostly closed in August so they put me on the pill for longer to control everything better...don't know.

I just had a few blood tests, I had a scan about a year ago to check what was going on in there but I think that was because I was irregular...

I really do know what you mean about the injections, honestly, but it really isn't as bad as you think it will be (and once you have done one, you feel really proud of yourself for doing it so that kind of helps too). Would you prefer if your DH did them and you looked away?

Wishing you lots of Luck Rosh - Happy Monday to you :smile: xxxx

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Reg: Jun 3rd 2008

Tuesday, October 7th 2008, 4:48pm

Hi Rosh

I'm just dropping in with my two cents and to give you some hope. We also have a diagnosis of male infertility (borderline count, bad shapes - only about 2% normal morph). We did a first cycle of ICSI in May/June this year and I am now 20 weeks pregnant.

As for needles - as others have said, it is really not as bad as it seems once you start doing it. I found the emotional rollercoaster much more difficult than the injections - but even that is now but a distant memory...

Fingers crossed this works for you too! Best of luck with your tx!
Rosie x

Natalia

Reg: Oct 7th 2008

Children: None

Thursday, October 9th 2008, 9:02pm

Hi guys,

I had my egg collection and the doctors decided to do ICSI due to the poor quality of semen. Reading your experiences with ICSI motivates me to continue. Anyway, I will see tomorrow whether any fertilised.

Natalia
Natalia

Soooz

Star

Thursday, October 9th 2008, 10:25pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rosh75
Thanks Susie - fingers crossed 2009 will be our year!

Was your natural BFP despite the male factor? How many goes at ICSI did it take?

Sorry, so many questions!! xx

Natural bfp WAS a shock as it wasn't until 4 years AFTER our natural pg that we even knew dh had problems !! I got pg with ds#2 on my first go of ICSI.

Question away --- its the only way we keep each other sane :loony:

xx

Sunday, October 12th 2008, 9:20am

Hey guys

Dusky - glad you aren't feeling too hormonal!! knowing how crap i can be with injections i might get DH to do, or it i might be brave!

It's been about 3 weeks since we found out we had to have IVF and i've gone from feeling petrified and in no rush to feeling quite chilled with it so that is good. If we can get our first appt before end of this year i'll be happy. Maybe since i've had all my bloods done and they were okay, it will only be DH that gets a re-test??

I still can't believe my GP told me that the clinic will lie about NhS waiting times in an effort to get you to pay! Maybe i'm naive but that is just wrong!! I'm wondering what they will say or whether they will drag out the tests in the hope we will pay.

Rosie - i love a good happy ending! BIG congrats on the success of your ICSI and also on your little bubba - smashing news and gives me hope. If i'm honest i don't think it won't work for us, i just don't know how many times it will take?? I kinda hope that since my tests are okay and i have to do the 'hard work'... that maybe it will help but i guess it's a total lottery at the end of the day! Did you go private or NHS? We have been referred to Queen Mary's in Roehampton.

Natalia - any news re the fertilisation?!!

Well ladies it's only been 10 days since GP sent our referral letter and i wasn't expecting to hear back yet but i have been checking the post a lot!! :snigger:

jaymay

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: None yet , 2 step kids

Thursday, November 20th 2008, 3:55pm

Hi everyone, just wanted to say, we have recently found out that our infertility is down to my DH low sperm count (only 5%) and have our first appointment with the FS in a few weeks. He does however have 2 children from prev marriage, so we were really shocked to find out his low count.

Does anyone know if because of this, the hospital will automatically put us forward for ICSI instead of IVF? Or do you get a choice?

Also does it mean less drugs for me going down the ICSI route?

Also im abit concerned about the risks of birth defects etc with the ICSI?

Sorry for the questions, still quite new to all this! xx

Soooz

Star

Thursday, November 20th 2008, 4:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by jaymay
Hi everyone, just wanted to say, we have recently found out that our infertility is down to my DH low sperm count (only 5%) and have our first appointment with the FS in a few weeks. He does however have 2 children from prev marriage, so we were really shocked to find out his low count.

Does anyone know if because of this, the hospital will automatically put us forward for ICSI instead of IVF? Or do you get a choice?

mmmmmm not sure about this tbh - sorry. i always thought that icsi is for male factor infertility and ivf for unexplained or where male factor infertility is not the main reason for no pg but i'm sure someone will be along to answer this better than me.

Quoted

Also does it mean less drugs for me going down the ICSI route?

the drugs are the same or similar

Quoted

Also im abit concerned about the risks of birth defects etc with the ICSI?

Sorry for the questions, still quite new to all this! xx

I have a four year old son through icsi and apart from webbed toes which he would've inherited from his dad regardless of whether he had been an icsi baby or not i can honestly say i have not known an icsi baby to suffer from defects that wouldn't otherwise have been inherited anyway. As i recall we both had to undergo chromosone testing (mmmmmm or was it just dh?) anyway.

Sorry i can't help further. There are much more knowledgeable ladies then me on here :)

:goodluck:

jaymay

Thursday, November 20th 2008, 4:47pm

Thanks for your reply Susie, its good to know that your son is healthy. I will have to wait and see what my con says in a few weeks! :innocent:

Thursday, November 20th 2008, 4:55pm

Hiya

had first appt at the clinic today!

we got told with low count (1 million) it would only be ICSI with IVF - no IUI as count isn't high enough. We did get told that we wouldn't get it free if DH had any other children and would have to go privately though hun so i would speak to your local PCT to see what they say if you haven't already??

Good luck hun and fingers and toes crossed :xxx3:

jaymay

Thursday, November 20th 2008, 5:00pm

Hi, not sure how many million my DH count is? So are you private now then? Even though you cant have IUI, is it still good news? I was originally told by my GP the same thing about his prev kids, but since my referral to the hospital, they have so far advised we would qualify for one free cycle. Could they change their mind at our first FS appt? xx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "jaymay" (Nov 20th 2008, 5:03pm)

Thursday, November 20th 2008, 6:56pm

That is brilliant news - i must admit, don't think ladies should be 'punished' just because their OH have children previously you know??

When is your first FS appt - fingers crossed!

We are NHS - hopefully things will go well but if not we will have to consider going private. Still it's a way off yet so positive positive positive!!

When i first looked into NHS i saw it was Queen Mary's we were at and googled it - thought it was the one in Sidcup and said to DH that it was good as i work right there... what a wally - i was about 50 miles out!!! :snigger:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE