You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

geri_a

• "geri_a" started this thread

Reg: Sep 26th 2008

Children: Gorgeous & Lovable Sami born May 06

Saturday, September 27th 2008, 11:09pm

Anyone know why??? (? on NK cells)

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone knows why you can have a successful pregnancy but also miscarriages when you have a high NK cell count?

I know, from some of the threads on here, that it is possible, but how can that happen?

Also, is there percentage rate which can indicate how likely you are to have success/failure after previous pregnancies/miscarriages?

Is there a possibility that you can suddenly have success after numerous misses?

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Sunday, September 28th 2008, 9:25am

Hi,

I'm not sure about these questions. You might want to check these scientific papers:

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/19/10/2395
http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/20/5/1272

Sorry I can't hlp you any more than this.

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Sunday, September 28th 2008, 11:48am

levels of nk cells can change and this is why people can have sucess

it is thought that the more mc/implantion failure you have the more nk cells can increase

not enough it really known as to the whys and hows
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Reg: Feb 28th 2007

Children: Not yet

Monday, October 6th 2008, 1:14pm

Hi Geri

Welcome to FZ :D

In answer to your question I agree with what Kar has said and that I believe it is possible but they say your chances lower with each miscarriage or failed conception. I know that what has been explained to me regarding my NK's and immune response is that each time I have tried the body fights the pregnancy more and levels increase and can cause other problems such as blood clotting issues. I have an array of problems.

Having said that steroids can lower NK's and if these don't work IVIG is suggested to try. You can get tested for these things but hard to find in UK unless you are with ARGC or CARE.

Good luck

x
TTC naturally, five miscarriages 2006-2009, Immune issues

BLONDIE'S IMMUNOLOGY DIARY

Reg: Jul 7th 2008

Children: Hopeful for 2009...

Monday, October 6th 2008, 1:55pm

Geri, sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it. Kara and Blondie are are the experts on here so you're in good hands! Good luck with everything. x

Blondie, do you mind me asking what IVIG is? I will be taking Dexamethasone, clexane and aspirin this cycle too. thanks xx

Monday, October 6th 2008, 2:05pm

Hi BFK

IVIG is basically (as I understand it) a mix of 50,000 peoples white blood cells extracted from blood. This is what the give transplant patients so helps the body to accept the organ and does this by lowering the immune system. It is supposed to work the same way with a pregnancy, help the body not to attack the fetus and lowers NK activity and other immune issues such as being to compatible with your partner and lowering TH1/TH2 cells.

Hope that helps.

x

geri_a

Monday, October 6th 2008, 10:09pm

thanks for your replies.

wow that IVIG sounds horrible. I don't think that would be an option for us anyway - I'm sure I have read its expensive and we couldn't really afford to go down an expensive route.

So here is hoping that NK cell testing and treatment might do the job for me.

x

Tuesday, October 7th 2008, 2:50pm

I don't believe the IVIG is a horrible experience and not many people experience any side effects but yes absolutely better if you don't need it :D It will cost me, should I have it, around £1200 a go and there is a possibility that you could have quite a few in pregnancy.

When do you have your NK test done?

x

geri_a

Thursday, October 9th 2008, 11:03pm

still waiting. I have started using the Ov predictor kits but no sign of anything happening as yet. Impatiently waiting but there is nothing else to do.

Good luck and loadsa babydust with the Ivig for you.

The financial costs are horrendous but the emotional costs are even worse but both costs are more than worth it if a baby comes from all the effort.

;-)
x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE