You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Alexandra" started this thread

Reg: May 19th 2008

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 2:46pm

2nd IVF try success rates

Gah I know I am being stupid but this came to me during my long board meeting -while a colleague was absolutely beating all around a rosy bush- and never left me:

Are chances lower, higher or the exact bloody same on the second try at IVF/ICSI?
33&36 - AZOOSPERMIA - 2008-ICSI Spain =BFN Lost 140lbs -2010-ICSI Sweden =perfect Dara (Mrs_Smiff's Goddaughter!)

Reg: Mar 23rd 2008

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 7:43pm

Hi,
as far as I know the statistics are exactly the same.
Tasha

me 37 :bawl:
TTC 4 years
1st ICSI :BFN: Feb 2007
2nd ICSI :BFN: March 2008
3rd ICSI started, EG 12th may

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 7:59pm

hunni

this might make a good read for you

info on cycle attempts...barcelona 2008
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Friday, August 8th 2008, 8:32am

Cheers for that. Looks like it decreases.

What also worries me is the term used "achieved pregnancy". I much rather like "produced baby" :smile:

These days the mere mention of Cornell makes me feel exceptionally unaccomplished financially as well as challenged reproductively. Not a good combination.
33&36 - AZOOSPERMIA - 2008-ICSI Spain =BFN Lost 140lbs -2010-ICSI Sweden =perfect Dara (Mrs_Smiff's Goddaughter!)

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Friday, August 8th 2008, 8:37am

I know it's hard not to get hung up on stats but please don't let it dig into your PMA. Thousands of couples get their babiy/babies on the 2nd time round. There's no reason why you shouldn't be one of them! :D

Good luck hon

xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Friday, August 8th 2008, 8:55am

Thanks very much, your signature sure is motivational. Congratulations!

Reg: Mar 23rd 2008

Friday, August 8th 2008, 9:20am

Hi,
thanks for that reading kar1. I had no idea about any of this info. I wonder though if the statistics reducae as these patients have more complex issues, and so the chance of ever concieving are less.
There seems to be a few holes in the research, but still it is interesting.
For me, I will continue until I am broke, or just can't face it any more (Which is not too far away). When I have my legs in the air in front of the experts I don't think of statistics, other wise I would just go mad.

me 37 :bawl:
TTC 4 years
1st ICSI :BFN: Feb 2007
2nd ICSI :BFN: March 2008
3rd ICSI started, EG 12th may

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Friday, August 8th 2008, 11:07am

You mustn't even think about statistics! Lets face it, an average 35-40% win rate would have us all consistently doing the lottery wouldn't it? Cos we'd all be convinced that with those odds we would be bound to win. Well it's the same with IVF. You are bound to win. I always look upon the first cycle of IVF as a trial cycle, cos nobody really knows how your body will react to the drugs it is given, regardless of what your blood tests dictate. So use your first IVF as guidelines for the second, which in my book is more likely to be successful cos you are armed with more facts than guesswork this time.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, August 8th 2008, 11:58am

alexander

lets me honest here, no one knows when it will work but the chances are it will work and loads and loads of ladies get pregnant second time and have a problem free pregnancy

look at me 3 fresh 3 frozen yet im still going, the important thing is believing that it will work

first cycle ivf is pretty much a trial as no one knows how your body will react to the drugs.

i think you are doing what i use to do and searching the internet for answers when there are none out there, no one can tell you if it will work and no one can tell you if it won't. IVF works for so many people, the important thing is feeling postive when starting again

i wish you loads of luck hun, keep your chin up and stop googling
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Friday, August 8th 2008, 12:07pm

Thank you both. If it hadn't been for you lot I would never even go ahead!

I can not stop googling though, that's preposterous, what else would I do with myself?!? :snigger:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Friday, August 8th 2008, 1:01pm

:hello:

Here's my take on number of goes -v- success

If your clinic's *statistics* for your age and type of treatment you are having is say 35% then to me, you would expect to get pregnant by your first, second or at the very least third attempt.

If like me, your clinic's stats for my age and type of treatment is over 50% then yes, perhaps my chances are decreasing because I've had three goes now though when you talk about *ICSI* of course that doesn't take into account where the sperm is actually taken from (i.e. for people like you and me, our DH's sperm comes from being surgically retrieved. Does that reduce our chances? I think possibly yes).

The upside is that information is gained from each cycle; how you stimulate and what fertilisation you had, quality of embryos and so on. I certainly feel that I'm at a stage where we know the process, we're confident that we get ok embryos (certainly no reason to believe they couldn't achieve a pregnancy) and often I truly believe that a lot of girls are just plain unlucky.

The other obvious reason why some may say your chances decrease is because of the gap between goes. Obviously time doesn't stand still and we're all getting older! Someone who has IVF aged 37 for instance and it fails and who then doesn't try again until 39 is going to have reduced her chances because of the quality of her eggs. We've all seen the pie charts I'm sure! :rolleyes:

You're very young in IVF terms and in my opinion have a great chance of getting pregnant! :yes: Just look after your body (and mind!) before the next go and just see what happens. You know we'll all be praying for you to be a lucky one!

Sorry for the waffle. whoops2

xxxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE