You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Pooch" started this thread

Reg: Jul 22nd 2008

Children: One beautiful daughter after 2nd ICSI attempt :) She was born October 2009

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 12:08pm

Soya products and low count

Hello all,
I'm in my 2ww and very bored so thought i'd have a dip into other threads I don't usually visit!!

I've just read an interesting article on the ESHRE website about male fertility about the amount of soya products a man consumes...
my DH has low count and morphology (we had to have ICSI in the end as his count was unusually low this time), he doesn't really drink, doesn't smoke but is vegan and eats a fair amount of soya (tofu and soya milk). He's also slightly overweight.
I've mentioned soya products to him before but never really had anything to back up my argument (it doesn't seem like male fertilitly is a problem in asia where they eat tonnes of the stuff!).

Just wanted to see if anyone else's DH is veggie or vegan and has a male factor problem, or if anyone else knows anything about this?

cheers all

xx
me 42, DH 35
ICSI 1 2009 :(
ICSI 2 2009 :BFP:
ICSI 3 2011 :(
ICSI 4 2012 ??? hopefully!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 12:49pm

RE: Soya products and low count

hi there!!
My man is a veggie and has low motility. Once we found this out I did a bit of research and, like you, found that soya products can affect fertility. Whilst he never ate an excessive amount of soya he now eats it very infrequently. There hasn't been any change in his SA results since doing this and I obviously don't have any proof that it will have made a difference to us being able to conceive (it took us 2 years before our first BFP).
The way I look at it is that anything has to be worth a go. as long as your DH can still get the nutritional content he needs from his food without eating as much soya, then what has he got to lose?

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 10:18pm

Hi guys,

My DH has major sperm problems, he is not a veggie but i am so he eats quite a bit of Soya products because thats what i'm having ! I have never heard of this before, so is it some thing in the Soya or not getting the vitamins out of meat ? Interesting post ! :D

thanks
Emy

:xxx3:

• "Pooch" started this thread

Reg: Jul 22nd 2008

Children: One beautiful daughter after 2nd ICSI attempt :) She was born October 2009

Wednesday, August 6th 2008, 8:26am

Hi Emy,
it's to do with the amount of Oestrogen in soya, which of course is a female hormone.
If this cycle doesn't work, I might see if he get try getting his protein from beans and pulses for a while and see if it makes a difference.
mind you, we're both dodgy so we would need tx anyway!

x
me 42, DH 35
ICSI 1 2009 :(
ICSI 2 2009 :BFP:
ICSI 3 2011 :(
ICSI 4 2012 ??? hopefully!

Reg: Oct 26th 2007

Children: One very beautiful daughter!

Wednesday, August 6th 2008, 8:37pm

Hi Pooch,

I read that that too! DH has some sperm issues, so out went the soya milk that he normally has. It should be ok if he has quorn and that is basically a fungus like a mushroom that is cultivated, called mycoprotein or something like that. He should be fine eating that stuff and still be veggie!

There is some research that has just come out about Lycopene (what makes tomatoes red) and how it is really good for sperm. If you type in 'Lycopene Fertility' in google, you will get loads of results. I just bought DH some lycopene vitamins!

good luck xxx

ICSI March 2008 BFP, then early m/c, Natural BFP May 2008, m/c at 6 weeks
Natural :BFP: 08/08/08!!!

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE