You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 23 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

• "Eeyore" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 8:17pm

RECOMMENDED READING

I've just read an amazing article in Grazia magazine about diet and fertility called 'The Fertility Diet by Sarah Dobbyn (Amazon link HERE ), so thought it would be a good idea to get all of the suggested books in one place. Unfortunately the article isn't available online, but if anyone would like me to send them the magazine, then PM me. Or it's in the shops until Tuesday.

"The Fertility Diet" - Sarah Dobbyn
Approximately 500m per year is spent in the UK on assisted conception techniques such as IVF by couples who do not know that their diet could be affecting their fertility. Men and women who are stigmatised as 'infertile' or told they are too old to have a baby feel betrayed by their own bodies yet, according to Sarah Dobbyn, biological age and chronological age do not have to coincide. If your body believes you are young and healthy enough to have a baby, no matter how old you are, you will be able to conceive a child - and easily. Not only this, but a healthy diet that eschews 'contraceptive foods' can enhance libido and delay the onset of the menopause. With chapters on fertility power foods, supplements and drinks, enhancing male fertility and avoiding miscarriage, The Fertility Diet will tell readers everything they need to know about staying as young, fertile and sexually charged for as long as possible. With delicious recipes and a Fertility Action Plan at the end of each chapter, the book sets out suggestions for immediate steps you can take today to maximise your chances of conceiving the old-fashioned way.

“Taking Charge of Your Fertility” – Toni Weschler
This is a book initially designed to help promote the FAM (Fertility Awareness Method) of birth control, but the information is vital for those wishing to actually try to conceive.
It is extremely helpful when you start trying to conceive, and gives great continuing advice on understanding your cycles. Information includes charting (temperature taking, checking cervical fluid & position) to pinpoint when you ovulate in a cycle and when the best fertile (and non-fertile) times are.

“Fertility and Conception” – Zita West
Zita West is a well respected midwife, nutritionist and acupuncturist. She has a clinic in Harley Street to help people ttc and through pregnancy.
This book offers a great step by step account of what to expect in your initial investigations, and fertility treatment. She believes greatly in Chinese medicine and advocates the use of Acupuncture or Reflexology.

“Making Babies” – Professor Robert Winston

A fantastic book by an excellent and pioneering doctor. It gives a good breakdown of things such as male infertility, the need for egg donation etc. But the main draw for me is that it is a fantastic analysis of IVF etc. He goes into great detail of the history of fertility treatments, the ups and downs of research and how he sees things progressing in the future

“In Vitro Fertilization the A.R.T of making Babies” – Geoffrey Sher MD
This book accompanies the website www.haveababy.com. Dr Sher is the founder of SIRM “Sher Institute for Reproductive Medicine” in Las Vegas.
Both the website and the book give very detailed explanations of the various treatments, the pro’s and con’s of what you can chose. He also asks and answers many questions that no doubt we all have. He goes into very good detail on all drugs that we have all come across. There are very good sections too on things that can impact fertility such as PCOS, Endometriosis, PIDs etc.

“Fertility” – Dr Elizabeth Clubb & Jane Knight
More of a UK book, detailing much the same as “Taking Charge”, advising on charting methods & NFP (Natural Family Planning).

“Conquering Infertility” – Dr Alice Domar
Alice Domar is a believer in Thethe Mind/Body ideals, and has many workshops across America. You can find some workshops in the UK now too.
It’s based on a her theory that fertility patients need stress relief, support and hope. She introduces techniques that are designed to help us help ourselves through the whole journey, or even something as simple as breathing exercises to calm when you are not looking forward to an invasive procedure.

“How to be a Successful Fertility Patient” – Peggy Robin
This is an older book (1993) and very American! The information is great, and gives great advice on how to get the best out of medical treatment, what questions to ask etc, what to look for in a consultant. Although it was an interesting read, I still refer to Toni Weschler’s book more than any.

HEALTH
“The GI Diet” – Rick Gallop
A great book to help anyone with PCOS change their eating habits and lifestyle to re-balance their sugar levels and insulin resistance

“The Insulin Factor” – Antony J Haynes
Again, for those with PCOS, this book starts by allowing you to self-diagnose (but most of us will already have been diagnosed). But it is still helpful in understanding what goes on in our bodies and gives some great pointers in how to change lifestyle and diet.

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 10:01am

Dr Beer's

IS YOUR BODY BABY FRIENDLY

very indept and not for the faint hearted. All about immune issues!

Reg: Jan 26th 2008

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 2:15pm

TCOYF??

Has anyone read this?? 'Taking care of your fertility' i brought it at the weekend and its very descriptive...didnt know if anyone had any luck with it?? xx

Sorry i didnt look beofre i posted this :( xxxxxxxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "~kerrylou~" (Aug 19th 2008, 2:30pm)

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 2:36pm

Do you mean 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' Kerry?

If you do, I've got and its helped me understand my body a lot more, I started charting, noticed my LP was on the short side and this was how I got my GP to refer me to the fertility clinic.

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 3:15pm

There's a fertility article in Red magazine, out now, talking more about The Fertility Diet by Sarah Dobbyns. It looks indepth, such as spending no more than 20 hours a week on the computer! there were a few things where I though 'I can't do that!' but then she also tells you not to stress about it because that makes it worse!

Going to see if the library has the book, I'll defo be taking a look at it though.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 23 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE