You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Charlie33" started this thread

Reg: Jul 9th 2008

Children: One on the way!!

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 7:03pm

Was my IUI too late?

I've been trying to conceive for over 3.5 years and have just had my third IUI. My doctor decided to do two scans this cycle, one on day 9 (follicle size 23mm) and another on day 12. On the second scan I was told that the egg had gone. The doctor gave me a trigger shot anyway (to boost the egg?) and I went for my IUI at 3:30pm that afternoon.

I'm stressing now that the IUI was too late. I had a positive OPT on Sunday morning (8:00am). On Monday morning (at 8:00am) during my second scan I was informed that ovulation had occured. My IUI was 31.5 hours after my LH surge was detected and a minimum of 7.5 hours since ovulation was known to have occured, although it could of course have been a lot longer.

I'd welcome your comments on this. Do you think it was too late?

?(

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 8:00pm

Hello Charlie,

I am actually a bit surprised that your doctor waited 3 days after he saw that you had a 23mm follie.
I ovulate 35 hours after my tests it seems like so you may well be ok :)

XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 8:22pm

Hmmm. Hard to say. The margin for insem is tight in relation to ov and shoudl ideally be just before (1-2 hours) or at time of ov not after. I don't understand why you had to take the trigger if you had already ovulated but then I am not a fertility expert. I agree with T that I do not know why he waited when you already had a large folly on day 9. My doc would have triggered that day and done insem 34-36 hours later even if it had meant coming in on a Sat or Sun something I know many clinics are not willing to do...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Reg: May 21st 2008

Children: 1 Beautiful Baby Girl Riya

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 1:56pm

Hello Charlie

I dont know what protocols your Dr followed, but didnt just want to leave without saying anything.

I have not had IUI's in the UK, but once my follicle had reached 20mm my FS gave me an injection to rupture the follicle. I was scanned the following day, if the follicle had ruptured the IUI was to be done within a few hours. If the follicle had not ruptured I was re-scanned on the next day and if ruptured, the IUI done then.

In my case both IUI's were done on day 12 as my follicle had reached 20mm on day 10 and on day 11 the follicle was still intact.

This probably doesnt help much, but you need to clarify things with your FS. Is this being done on the NHS or private?

Take care and good luck

dwarf

Star

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: ds 2yrs

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 1:58pm

I had a similar experience with one of my iui tests. My cons said the opk tests say uov will be up to 36 hours alter but can be 48. He also said you have 12 hours after ov re egg. Can't really answer your qu but all my iuis I worried were too late. Thye didn't work for me but others did get pg with same protocol so who knows? Good luck.
Me pcos. Ds born nov 2005 - 1 round clomid.
TTC no2 since April 06.
6 rounds clomid (skinny womb lining + vaired response),
3XIUI, 1X IVF.
BFP 29/12. All fingers and toes crossed.

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 6:11pm

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. In reality I know that no one knows (including the experts) whether the timing was right.

I am having treatment on the NHS but due to my local hospital losing their licence I am having the inseminiations done at Bridge (a private clinic in London).

I just feel that having identified that ovulation had already occured during my early morning scan on day 12 the appointment at 3:30 that afternoon was probably too late.

Anyway we'll just have to wait and see. I'm on the lovely progesterone pessaries now and test on 21st July.

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 9:39pm

I'll keep it all crossed for you hun.

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

melf

Ace

Reg: Jun 3rd 2008

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 11:04am

Hi there
also keeping things crossed for you too
I had scan fri- one follicle 23mm and one 12mm. I had no option of having IUI then as a fri and not over weekend either(nhs) they said 23mm would rupture and be gone by time of iui but were hopeful 12mm one would catch up and i had to do injection the following day anyway. Had IUI yesterday but doctor said i hadn't ovulated!!
Its so frustrating that they can't seem to time these things better!
Babydust to all xx
Melxx
Me and DH-35
TTC- since Nov 05
3 x IVF 08/09 BFNs
4th IVF/ICSI feb 10 private-BFP :weehee:

bab10 our precious bundle -Olivia arrived 22/11/10 bab10

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 6:59pm

Hi Mel

Thanks for your post. It must be so frustrating for you that your trust doesn't do IUI's over the weekend! I think it is probably better to have the IUI before ovulation - so hopefully this will be 'your time'. The 2ww is horrible isn't it ? Obsessing over every twinge and cramp. I test next Monday but don't feel too hopeful as I have all my usual premenstrual symptoms and I'm sure I know my body well enought by now to know if it had happened. Anyway the clinic insist you do the test so I'll know for sure on Monday. Keeping everything crossed for you and that BFP!!

melf

Ace

Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 1:32pm

hi charlie
thanks- best of luck to you too.yes the 2ww is terrible. I also have to do the test for the clinic. My sister had premenstrual symptoms both times she fell pregnant so I always cling to that hope in the 2ww!!
Good luck for mon- try and have a nice weekend xxx
Melxx
Me and DH-35
TTC- since Nov 05
3 x IVF 08/09 BFNs

melf

Ace

Monday, July 21st 2008, 7:54am

Just wishing everyone on 2WW and testing the best of luck :goodluck:

:babydust: to all
mel xx
Melxx
Me and DH-35
TTC- since Nov 05
3 x IVF 08/09 BFNs

Reg: Apr 22nd 2008

Children: None, yet!

Monday, July 21st 2008, 8:39pm

Hi Charlie

Fingers crossed that your IUI wasn't too late honey.... I think I'm probably under the same consultant as you at Crawley because I also have to go to Bridge for insem!??!?!

I wasn't that impressed with Crawley this cycle I have to admit. Its my 2nd IUI cycle there and I had my first scan on Wednesday. I mentioned to the consultant that I was having breakthrough bleeding (tmi sorry). He wasn't overly concerned at all, just made me have a blood test to check I wasn't pregnant as my lining was also really thick(?!) I was then asked to go back for another scan on Friday. I had a follicle that was 22mm and two others but they were liked 16mm and 17mm.

So he explained that I was to keep doing OV predictor tests and if I got a positive to call the Bridge over the weekend. I got a positive fri night and sat am but couldn't get in Bridge on Saturday. Went yesterday (sun) and the nurse was quite alarmed that they'd done nothing about my bleeding and she really struggled with the insem as cervix in a bad position. I kind of just felt like my consultant was too relaxed with the whole timing thing this cycle. I know in my heart of hearts that this cycle won't work...

So have you tested now then? xx
xx Sar1977 xx

jilly

3 IUI cycles 2008 - BFN
Transferred to IVF October 2008
1st IVF Cycle April/May 2009 - BFN :bawl:

Monday, July 21st 2008, 9:30pm

Hi Sarah

Yes I tested this morning and as expected got a BFN ;(

I know that lots of girls are really excited and anxious to take the test after 14 days but I just know that I am not pregnant and doing the test and seeing that one pink line just makes me feel like such a failure - again.

It’s nice to know someone else who is being treated at Crawley hospital (I was previously at East Surrey) Are you seeing Dr Youseff? He seems like a nice man but the appointments are always a bit of a whirlwind and you don't always get the answers to your questions.

Obviously after this third cycle (whoever said third time lucky eh?) I'm even more positive that the IUI was too late. I see you did OPT am and pm - where you told to do this?

Interesting to read that the nurse struggled with the insemination at the Bridge. My first IUI was not a pleasant experience. The nurse informed me that my cervix was high and the whole experience turned out to be very painful whilst she struggled and I tried to to stay relaxed!

I really felt that IUI was going to work for us. I had an operation to remove a septum in my uterus last year but apart from that everything is supposedly functioning normally with me and DH.

I have just started to have acupuncture at a place in Reigate and found that it really helps to relax me and clear the mind. I'd recommend it to anyone going through fertility treatment.

Fingers crossed for all you girls who are yet to test.
xx

fairy

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 16th 2006

Location: depend's which room my twins have decided to vanish to!

Children: We have two VERY precious miracles! Twin girl/boy!

Monday, July 21st 2008, 9:34pm

So sorry you had a BFN sweetie :cuddle

xxx

Me 30, DF 36
Ella-Louise and Ayden were born 24th December 2008 (11 weeks early) - Our family is now complete ... So we thought! A new bundle is on it's way! EDD 27th August 2012!

Clare

Reg: Mar 21st 2008

Friday, March 6th 2009, 2:08pm

Hi Sarah

I have just read about your break through bleeding.

I am at Crawley too. I had a stange period before with my last cycle of Clomid. I was over a week and half late, so did a pregnancy test. The test I thought came up positive, (I have done enough of these tests to know the difference), however two days later I started to bleed. Luckly I had a hospital at the same time. Crawley scanned me and gave me a blood test. It turned out that I was never pregnant, but was mid cycle with heavy bleeding that lasted for over a week that wasn't a period.

Have you hear of this before, as the consultant couldn't explain it?

Clare
[b][i][font=Fixedsys][size=24][color=#990099]Clare[/color][/size][/font][/i][/b] xmas39
:BFP: Nov 09 IVF:BFN: Feb 09 IUI

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 5:56pm

Hey there Clare

Not sure if you will get a response from Sarah as this post was from a while ago. Are you undergoing IUI? If so join us IUI ladies here ** IUI CHITTER CHATTER **

x

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE