You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jo101

Star

• "Jo101" started this thread

Reg: Mar 18th 2008

Children: None yet

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 2:05pm

IVF Abroad - How does it work?

Hi there,
I know a number of peole have IVF treatment abroad.
We live in Sweden and are considering going back to the UK for treatment. We just want to keep our options open at this point.

What are the implications of doing it this way? I am not too familiar with the whole IVF cycle but I believe you need to be monitored carefully scans, blood tests etc??
Do you use a satelite clinic in your home country to do this? Sorry if I don't get this, I just find it a bit confusing ?(

2nd IVF :BFP:

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 4:10pm

Whereabouts in Sweden do you live?
Treatment in the UK is alot more costly than in Sweden.
There are some good private clinics in Stockholm that charge the same as the public hospitals. (they are government funded and with only 3-6 months waiting list).

Treatment abroad either means that you start your treatment in Sweden and have scans arranged for you there or that you start treatment in Sweden and from cycle day 6 or so go to the UK so that you can have your monitoring here.

I think that IVF cycles here are £3000 and upwards and the drugs in Sweden should be cheaper.
I am not sure how much you have to spend to get Apotekets free card but if it is less than £500 then it should be worth getting the drugs in Sweden. (I think that the drugs in IVF cycles normally end up around £500 unless you get them from your NHS GP.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Jo101

Star

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 4:17pm

Hi Torisen,
Thanks so much for your reply....
We live in Stockholm. I was wondering what private clinic you know of here. We had private tests with the Fertilitet Centrum, they were okay. Were suppossed to refer my DH and it looks like they didn't do it !!

So far everything here is taking ages....I am worried about the SSR side of things here really so that is why we thought of the UK for ICSI and IVF. I think it sounds complicated though, I teach so it would not be realistic to jet off to the UK at various days in my cylce. :8o:

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 4:27pm

Jo - you would have to look at staying in the country where you are having your treatment for at least 1 if not 2 or even 3 weeks not jetting back and forth (would be too expensive and exhausting to fly back and forth)
At my clinic they recomend that international patients either be in country before the cycle starts or they can come over from day 8 and stay till after ET (minimum 1 week)

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Jo101

Star

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 4:48pm

Thanks Rene,

That is what I though...I can't really be jetting here and there it would be very hard.

I have 3 weeks off around Xmas so potentially I could do something in the UK then I guess.
How long before EC do you need to start taking the drugs etc?

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 7:25pm

Jo, I have done 3 cycles with travels and must say that every single one of them has been a nightmare with waiting for periods, then cycles not doing what they were supposed to do etc.
What does SSR mean?

The clinic my friend went to is http://www.oxbackskliniken.se but they did not have IVF

For a short protocol I think start to finish is 17 days but you never know and it is pretty stressful.

I am having treatment at the moment in Denmark but being monitored in the UK so I guess I tend to travel for treatment :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Leela

Reg: Jun 14th 2007

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 7:29pm

This might help... www.ivfineurope.co.uk xx
TTC 2.5 Yrs
Had every test known to man