You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Primrose" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, March 27th 2006, 12:35pm

Baby Loosing Weight

had our first Health Visitor appt today and I was a bit upset to find that Jessica has lost loads of weight - she's gone from 10lbs 5oz to 9lbs 7oz! As I'm BF its worrying because I immediately start to think I'm not doing it right. HV said they get concerned if they loose 10% or more - Jess has only 'passed' that by 2lbs - she said as she otherwise looks well she isn't overly concerned but she wants me to come in to clinic on Thursday to check her weight is going up.

Has anyone else found this? I can't help but worry :(

Missy

Superstar

Monday, March 27th 2006, 12:42pm

Georgie, don't be upset hun. All babies -breastfed or not - are expected to lose 10% of their body weight within the first couple of weeks. Lauren lost 1lb and had put it back on by the next 10 days.

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Monday, March 27th 2006, 12:43pm

Most baies lose weight to start with so try not to worry, im sure she will have put on when you go on thursday xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Monday, March 27th 2006, 12:58pm

georgie, Peter lost weight as well, not too much admittedly but then he was tiny to start with (2.88kg ~ 6lbs 3oz). He went down to 2.80kg but last weighed in two weeks ago at 3.9kg.

dont worry.

however, chat with your HV about how much you are feeding her - are you letting her spend long enough on one boob? she should spend at least 15+ minutes on one boob before she comes off.

Monday, March 27th 2006, 6:46pm

thanks everyone - sam it was good to hear little lauren lost a lb too, thats reassuring.

sunshine she used to spend about 40 mins on one side (i do 1 side at each sitting) then i'd take her off or else she'd stay there all night :rolleyes: now she is down to about 20 - 30 mins each go. HV felt limiting her to 2 hrly feeds may make her feed better once on - i suppose she may be thinking jess may be just lying there and not doing a lot of actual feeding?

Missy

Superstar

Monday, March 27th 2006, 7:54pm

I've been reading in the books I've got about your DD using you as a human dummy.. maybe that is what Jess is doing??

I can't remember why the HV told me that they lose weight but bit disappointed that yours never told you it was normal :( I know that they may feel like they are repeating themselves all day saying the same things to new mums, but you need every bit of reassurance you can get in this game!! :D

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, March 27th 2006, 8:42pm

Georgie, please don't worry. It happens with almost every baby. If she's even put only one ounce on by the next weigh-in, then you can stop worrying completely as that will prove she's on the upward curve.

It's important to make sure she empties a boob completely. Like you, I did one-sided feeds for the first few weeks as that was enough for DS. However, it's important to stay long enough on one boob before trying the other because the milk gets progressively richer, creamier and fattier the more feeding goes on. The beginning is very watery (you may have seen that if you leak) to quench the baby's thirst because they need fluid as well as calories, then it becomes really creamy. When you take her off at the end of a feed, squeeze the nipple a bit and see what comes out. If very little comes out, or just a small drop of creamy thick milk, then you can be fairly sure she's drained it well, but if a lot still comes out, she may not be getting to the rich stuff.

If you keep the room fairly quiet while feeding, you can hear whether she's swallowing or not. I used to love having a quiet room, listening to the sucking and swallowing. That will help you know how much of her sucking is just for comfort and how much is business. I found it quite disturbing when I fed when out in a noisy place as I couldn't tell how much DS was taking on.

The other advantage of limiting feeds to certain times rather than every half an hour or so is that it will not only encourage Jessie to feed better because she's hungry but will help her reach the creamy hindmilk.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Monday, March 27th 2006, 8:52pm

Thanks Limpet - yes I think she drains each boob on feeding (I usually only use one at a time ie one per feed, if that makes sense!) and at the end its really hard to express some so it must be empty then? I think she is using me for comfort too though.

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Monday, March 27th 2006, 9:52pm

yes they do lose weight after they are born. dont worry too much and her weight is very good for her age. my dd didnt even weighed that at that age.

Thursday, March 30th 2006, 3:39pm

Went to clinic today and Jessica had lost weight again - an ounce this time ;( ;( ;(

Ended up bursting into great big sobbing and snotty tears in the middle of clinic in front of everyone just as my HV walked in. Think she must of thought I was a right case and took me off to a side room. She brought along a colleague who is a bit of breastfeeding guru (there seems to be loads of experts around?!) and she suggested a. I rule out thrush b. get Jessica seen by GP to rule out any infections c. upping Jessica's feeds.

Jessica currently goes about 3 hours in the day between feeds and 2 hours in the evening. She has about 7 feeds with each lasting about 30 mins, one side. Her last feed is around midnight and she will then sleep from about 2am right through until 8.30am. The HV suggested trying to feed her 2 hourly throughout the day and then waking her up at 5am for a feed too. Really reluctant to do the 5am bit - think I may go a bit mad! Although it sounds like we have it made having such a long gap at night prior to that she is quite hard work - she seems to use all her energy up between mid afternoon and 2am (when she finally goes to sleep) she doesn't sleep at all during that period and won't be put down in her cot. I have to hold her in my arms whilst she cries - we try cuddling, rocking, feeding her etc. I think I may go bonkers if I don't get the rest we currently have from 2am to 8am! I'm really worried about my nipples getting even more sore now that I'm having to feed her more too.

HV kept saying I can phone her anytime, from the look on her face she obviously thought I was cracking up. Think DH feels the same way, he's joked that when he goes back to work he's going to take Jessica with him because he doesn't trust me - unfortunately though I seem to have had a sense of humour bypass when I gave birth - can't help feeling there is a grain of truth about him thinking I'm an unfit mother.

This is such hard work - if I'd know what a worry she'd have been once born I would have made the most of the time I had when she was still inside me! God I worried all the time about whether she had moved or moved to much then but at least you know they are getting fed properly in there!!! The GP and HV both said there was no major alarms yet but I can't help but worry, she is so precious to me I want everything to be perfect for her. We got the Birth Cetificate through today and my DH was so excited, I couldn't be though I'm so worried I'm not doing this BF right and I'm starving her ;(

Sorry for war & peace, having a bad day today

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Primrose" (Mar 30th 2006, 3:42pm)

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, March 30th 2006, 4:19pm

Georgie, if theres one bit of advice I can offer you to survive in this mad,mad world - its take the rough with the smooth. Its not easy being a stay at home mum - whether it be temporary or not. When DH was off there were 2 of you doing the same amount of work you are doing now! Probably more as you are juggling now. You are coping just fine, and I'm sure DH doesn't think you are a bad mum- its a big shock to the system and he's probably still reeling!

I feel exactly the same about the pregnancy bit!

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, March 30th 2006, 4:24pm

Georgie

Huge hugs sweetheart, you sound like a tired but very dedicated & caring Mum so don't let anyone tell you you're otherwise. It's still all new to you & you can't expect to know everything immediatately (although I will be asking for your advice in a few months I'm sure)

I am sure that all new mums go through the stage of thinking they are not doing the right thing but the best thing for your baby is most definately you!

If you're breastfeeding when she wants to feed then you can't possibly be starving her & you can't force her to feed more often if she doesn't want to. I'm no expert but it sounds to me like you are doing a grand job hun

xxx

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 30th 2006, 5:32pm

[zx127] Geogie xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 30th 2006, 7:57pm

Oh Geogie, you are doing a fantastic job there and don't you ever doubt yourself!

Do you know how much an ounce is? Remember buying two ounces of midget gems and being gutted because there only being about 10 in the bag (all yellow and green :D )? ... it's half of that!!! ie: next to NOTHING!!!

I bet you a decent poo weighs a few ounces, a full bladder will weigh a few ounces and a decent breastfeed weighs several more so you could put a few ounces on her by feeding her right now and in a couple of hours when she's had a wee and a poo she might have lost them again. What I'm getting at is that her weight is so variable at the moment and an ounce is almost nothing. She's still catching up on herself from being born.

She's probably taking her milk and utilising every last drop perfectly. She's not overfeeding and don't forget that you milk is absolutely bespoke for Jess, the composition is perfect for her and there is very little wastage to bulk her out, it's all making her brain grow so she's going to be super intelligent!

Over the next few weeks you'll see her weight creeping up but think about when we're losing weight and we step on the scales every few days. It's disheartening when we don't lose anything yet if we stayed off the scales for a fortnight we would see a great big difference and be really pleased.

Now.... stop worrying about minute weight fluctuations and look at the big picture, she's alert, happy, healthy, feeding, filling nappies, warm, pink...... need I go on? ;) She WILL gain weight, she can't 'not' do. Your feeding is wonderful, you're NOT starving her because believe me, starving babies do NOT sleep from 2am until 8.30am.

If you hubby wants to take her to work, let him (go to the spa, get a facial and a manicure!). I guarantee he'll be back within the day begging you to do that miracle Mummy thing that only Mummys can do.

.....don't worry about Jess because believe me, you are doing a fantastic job.

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Thursday, March 30th 2006, 8:09pm

I cant add to anything bells has said!

The first few weeks are hard, and nothing anyone tells you can ever prepare you for it! but it does get easier I promise!

sending you HUGE hugs, and a poke in the eye for good measures for being a worry pot (only kidding ;) )

Jessica x x

Thursday, March 30th 2006, 9:51pm

aw thanks - huge big thankyou hugs to everyone - except for the poke in the eye LOL! Thanks for reminding me that I do still have a sense of humour!

Feeling a bit more sane now! spent afternoon cuddled up under the duvet. Don't know if it is psychological (actually I am sure it is) but the cannestan really seems to have made a difference! been feeding Jess like crazy and hardly any pain.

Had a talk to DH and funnily enough he used the same analogy as you Bells re: asking for a quarter of sweets - see people know the way to get through to me is to relate it to food! I suppose if she was really starving she'd loose a lot more than an ounce a week wouldn't she? Jess hasn't cried hardly at all tonight, only when I went to put her in her cot which is always a definate no no for her between 6pm and 2am. She is absolutely stuffed with milk so that's probably why, she looks a bit drunk!

DH's relatives arrived at 7pm despite him saying it wasn't convenient X( Felt really guilty but I didn't feel like being all smiley and happy with big puffy eyes and also didn't want to interupt feeding so they had to leave dissapointed at not seeing me or jessie. At least it got the message accross re: not comming so late in future though.

Thanks again everyone you really cheered me up :D

Friday, March 31st 2006, 3:22am

georgie - I weighed myself before & after a pee once (dont ask why.... ;).... oh ok - it was to see if it really made a difference on the scales!)
The difference was 300g which is about 8 ounces 8o

to be honest - feeding more often is often less painful because your boobs arent so blocked/full, and your nipples arent stretched so taught because your boobs arent so full - so that makes it easier for the baby to latch on really properly and not have to pull on your nipple so hard.

a book I would recommend is the Tracy Hogg "Baby Whisperer". it helps set out some timelines and guidelines so you know how often to be feeding, and how long, and how much, along with some hints & tips about why a baby is crying etc - it has helped me keep relatively sane.

Friday, March 31st 2006, 12:54pm

Thanks sunshine - have brought the book today :D

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Friday, March 31st 2006, 4:38pm

Been to get Alex weighed today, he's dropped from the 75th centile to the 25th!!! 8o 8o

The HV tried to say that we weren't feeding him enough! well you should have seen the look on DP's face! if he's not asking for more food we cant ram it down his throat!!

stupid HV's! If he was more hungry I'm sure he'd ask!!

Jessica x x

Friday, March 31st 2006, 5:47pm

Oh I hope I get as assertive as you Jess! I feel like some pathetic wimp, not like me at all in 'real' life! you are quite right, of course they would let you know if they weren't happy. (I have no idea what those centile thingies are!)

Saturday, April 1st 2006, 2:07am

Jess - dont worry - DS has been swinging between 5th & 10th! 8o

georgie - the centiles are the lines on the growth chart. they go in 5ths. 5th is a tiny baby, 95th is a monster baby. 50th is average.

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, April 1st 2006, 9:10am

I got quite worried about them at first!! I thought it meant a healthy baby was on top at 95 and if a baby was on 5 or 10 then it meant they were poorly :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Saturday, April 1st 2006, 2:22pm

ahh thanks I can see it now - that makes me feel a bit better actually. Jessica was on the top line (99.6) 8o and is now just above the 75th so she is still techniquely above average despite loosing a lb or so, actually I agree with you Jess its really hard to get a baby to feed more than they want to isn't it? I've tried to increase her feeds over the last couple of days but to be honest it doesn't work - if she takes more in the morning she doesn't want so much later on, when you look at the pattern of the day as a whole she is only having an extra 5 minutes or so and quite a bit of gazing about time!. Yesterday I felt really pleased with myself that I'd managed to get an extra feed in during the day but then she had her last feed at 11.45pm for about 15 mins and then there was no waking her for love nor money! (she would normally have at least another feed after that time before going to bed) I even stayed up until 2am to try but she was completely zombiefied!!! I woke her this morning, much to her disgust, at 7am. At least I know come next weigh in that I've tried - she must be just finding her natural weight.

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, April 1st 2006, 5:16pm

Lauren doesn't take alot in the mornings or early afternoons really, and the night feed is always her biggest feed. She refuses water in the night so until she switches her body clock around I don't think she will cut out the night feeds at all. Its just like us though, we have fluctuating appetites through out the day so you have to go with the flow!

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Sunday, April 2nd 2006, 1:53am

georgie - they are funny arent they when they hit that "zombie" moment?! :D

and if your DD was on the 99.6 line then there is absolutely nothing to worry about if she drops to 75! as long as she doesnt keep dropping rapidly she really is just sorting out her natural weight.

Weight loss is only a big problem when the babies are tiny or there is a drop from say 99 to 25 - that can indicate a problem.

Sunday, April 2nd 2006, 1:09pm

:D Thanks Sunshine - I really am feeling miles better about it now - because when bf you can't see what you are giving her I suppose I was worried I wasn't giving her enough milk but I can't see any benefit from using bottled milk now. These last couple of days have proved you can't physically stuff food into her if she doesn't want it.

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 3:41am

georgie - yup DS used to just let it dribble out his gob if he was full, or sit there whilst I waved my nipple ( 8o :D ) at him with his lips utterly and totally closed with an "uhuh - no way" zombie expression! :D

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 8:58am

PMSL - re: waving your nipple about! jess does the same thing she purses her lips as if it is the most disgusting thing ever!

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 12:04pm

Girls i thought i would let you know that the little red books are actually based on bottle fed babies.....some clinics do have centile graphs for breast fed babies available as they are slightly different..... I think breastfed babies are naturally slightly smaller...but could be wrong!!!! Also does anyone know how the lines link between head circumference and height into weight??? Mine are all over the place didn't know if they should be on the same line for everything??? Eg summer is on 91st for weight....nearly on the 99.6th for height and 50th for head circ???? xxxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Missy

Superstar

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 12:13pm

Clare, you are right, breastfed babies do generally gain less weight than bottle fed. I knew that the books were for bottlefed babies. I don't know the link though sorry! Do they link them though??

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 12:29pm

No they don't link i just wondered if they should!!!! iS lollypop on the same line for all or different ones??? xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 1:01pm

oh - I dont have a book - just a chart, that was updated in 2000 for breast fed babies.

as far as I have been told, in general they should be on the same line for everything if they are smaller than the 50th percentile.

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 2:21pm

Mmmmmmm the health visitors haven't said anything.... i know they should stay on the same line for each but didn't know if the line should be the same if that makes sense!!! xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 11:15pm

DD lost weight too and she's a right little porker now, dont worry you are doing a great job with the breastfeeding, it just erm, slips out the other end quite fast ha ha!!

As for the health visitors they all do that concerned head tilt thing and yes, you do immediately think youve been put on the "at risk" register - you havent, they see it all day every day, dont worry.

So long as she feeds, wets and poos and has some alert (read: crying) time she is going to be fine.

xxxxx
x

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 3:52am

Clare - yes, that made sense!

& that was what I meant - eg if a baby stays on the same line all the time then that is just it's trend, even if the lines are different for the different measurements.

However, if a baby is below the 50th line for eg weight (that's the important one) then you want to make sure that the length & HC lines are the same-ish number as well. Saying that, just like you have tall skinny adults you can have tall skinny babies. :rolleyes:

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 8:24am

Clare, I've just checked Lolly's records and she has always been right between the 50th and 75th centile for weight, the 90th for length (one long baby!!) and the 75th for hc. I don't think it actually matters which line they are on, just that the lines are steady as they are plotted, eg, not being up on the 90th one week then dropping right down to the 5th the next then going up again the week after if that makes sense

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 8:26am

Just realised I've typed what you typed Sun!! Oh- its early!!! :D

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 9:17am

lol

I have no idea of the time anymore

DS was a right PITA last night.

Having taken 10(!) feeds yesterday and the day before, he was then up at 10pm, 12am, 2am, 4am, 5am, 6am..... nyargh!

has been crying and tired all of today but hasnt wanted to sleep for more than 45 minutes at a time! :(

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 9:37am

lets hope he has worn him self out a little, and lets you get some kip hun. night night,xxxxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 10:06am

we had to go to bloody hospital again last night!! She's had a cough since her jabs and has been a bit wheezy. Then yesterday she sounded really mucousy (SP!) and was whingy and off her feed, all day yesterday she had a total of 7oz. By afternoon she was going between drowsy and wide awake, crying and whimpering. Then she was freezing cold and pale, but had sweat dripping of her head and neck and seemed to be having trouble breathing. I rang our Gp who said he wanted to see her in the morning, but then she got worse so I rang NHS direct who said don't take any chances with her and take her straight in. While we were there she started getting little pimples on her face and arms, when they stripped her off she was covered in them, and screaming her head off ;(

They let her come home in the end though as the spots disappeared as quickly as they had appeared, they said its a virus and probably a delayed reaction from her jabs. She slept through last night poor love, but I was awake every hour checking on her!! Need matchsticks in my eyes today! She's still a bit agitated, but she's slept for the majority of this morning

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 10:13am

Aww Sam how scary for you & Lolly. 8o

Glad she is ok today & hope you can catch up on some much needed sleep hun

xxx

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 10:24am

weldone for acting so quickly hun, im glad she is ok now,
you must be knackered, go and gat your head down for a bit,
love cookie xxxxx [zx127]

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 10:24am

sorry sam - that must have been scary!

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 12:12pm

It was slightly!! My mum and dad came to the hospital, and Lauren was all smiles by then, cooing at the nurses. My mum made me feel like a tit by saying 'oh, theres nothing wrong with her look', she ate her words 5 minutes later when Lauren started screaming!! I just thought better to be safe than sorry at the end of the day. I'd never forgive myself if it had been serious and I hadn't acted on it.

She is alot better thankyou! We have had some cuddles this morning, and she's been cooing and gurgling! Also discovered how to blow bubbles which is very cute!! :]

I'll shut up now, cos I've nicked Georgies thread!! Sorry hun!! 8)

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 12:44pm

ah poor little thing hope you can catch up on your sleep today hun xx

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 12:51pm

Oh Sam, what an awful worry.

I hope that you have managed to get some rest and that Lolly is feeling better

x

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 6:51pm

OMG Sam how awful! its one of my fears to find spots on Jessie, I was only today gazing at her thinking, is that a rash or just a few red marks where she has been sleeping?! Well done for being so cool and calm - I really hope I get the balance right between over anxiousness and not recognising danger signs. Really pleased she is okay now - what a worry they are!

PS I'm not precious about any threads I start BTW! quite pleased when someone else takes it over actually - stops me whittering on for 5 minutes LOL!

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 7:13pm

I know that feeling -once I start rambling theres no stopping me!!

I was quite worried, but the hospital were brilliant- I guess they don't like to take chances either. DD wasn't particuarly poorly in the morning, but there was a definate change in the pitch of her cry so I knew that she wasn't right within herself. The first thing I did was check her temp, which was normal but there was still a nagging voice in the back of my head.

I always get paranoid that people think I'm over reacting, but at the end of the day I wouldn't like to be in the position where I'm sitting there thinking 'I wish I'd taken her to be checked over' if it did turn out to be something serious

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Wednesday, April 5th 2006, 7:14pm

Poor you Samd, DD had a rash and was dragged up to A&E at about the same age - and yes they told me it was a virus too and would leave after about 4 days, which it did. Scary though isnt it - she was not happy mummy kept pressing a glass against her tummy!
x

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, April 5th 2006, 8:35pm

Shes getting better, still a bit agitated and sleeping loads, but lots better than the other day thank goodness!! I know you can't wrap them up in cotton wool but I still get upset when she is poorly!! My mum said it is better for her to get some things while she is small and doesn't really understand whats going on and it will boost her immune system. Doesn't stop me worrying though!! Is there a club for neurotic mothers as I think I should have free membership!!

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE