You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jojoanna

• "jojoanna" started this thread

Reg: Mar 12th 2008

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 2:10pm

Had ICSI Private and now have NHS Appt???

Not really sure where to post on this one but here is my story!

We have had ICSI recently at SEFC in Kent, and were luckily successful. In the meantime, i have had an appointment come through from the NHS (as we were having investigations on the NHS before deciding to go private), and im just not sure what to say in the NHS Appointment....

i havent had my first scan yet, but still want to go to NHS appt in case they put us on a waiting list for ICSI (could probably be 2 years anyway!), so would like to do that, BUT not sure if to tell the NHS about private treatment?

I figure if all is well with me the hospital will deliver my baby anyway so will know, but not sure if i should say in this appointment, or keep quiet and see what they have to say!?!?!?

Anyone have any ideas or views on what I can say??

Cheers J o :innocent:
Me 30 Husband 33
Me PCO Husband Low Sperm/Motility
ICSI Treatment starting in April 2008 :smile:

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 3:43pm

Jo,
I'm not sure what you're saying, to be honest?
Are you wanting them to put you on the NHS list for ICSI, for after this baby is born? Would you even be allowed to use your free go if you've had treatment privately? Most PCT's class this as your 'go' and don't allow the free one ...

If it were me, I would just come clean, and either cancel your appointment, or tell them when you're there (though I can't see why you wouldn't just cancel in advance and let the appointment go to someone else ?( )

Maybe i'm not following you though, and you mean something completely different? :smile:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 4:08pm

RE: Had ICSI Private and now have NHS Appt???

Hi Jo

Many congratulations on your recent BFP :smile:

I can sort of see your dilemma but without knowing your PCT's criteria for offering IVF on the NHS, it's difficult to advise.

From my own experience, my PCT's criteria has recently changed and it's now one free NHS go provided you have had no privately funded cycles. If you know yours to be the same then there is absolutely no point in having the NHS appointment as they will find out you have had a private cycle.

More importantly however, is the fact that you are pregnant and most, if not all, PCTs stipulate that NHS funding is for couples who have no "living" children of their own. (This includes children from previous relationships as well, although sometimes this eligibility criteria varies amongst PCTs). So by the time you got to the end of the waiting list you would have had your baby and therefore be exempt in any case.

I think considering the above, there's very little point in going to the appointment and in my opinion, you would be taking a valuable slot which another couple could have.

Hope this helps and the very best of luck for your pregnancy [zx189]

xxxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

jojoanna

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 4:14pm

Thank you girls for your opinions.
Its a difficult one as im not sure what to do as our 6 week scan with private is after the pre-planned NHS appt, so dont want to burn my bridges if its not ok.

Also - even if we do have a baby via private, are we still not entitled to NHS treatment as we cannot conceive naturally?

what a dilemma!!
Me 30 Husband 33

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 4:19pm

Quoted

Originally posted by jojoanna

Also - even if we do have a baby via private, are we still not entitled to NHS treatment as we cannot conceive naturally?

I would say 99% sure that's a no I'm afraid even if you cannot conceive naturally.

I understand your dilemma as you're very early on in your pregnancy and not even had your first scan yet. If it were me, I would find out what the PCT's criteria is on funding and whether or not your privately funded cycle has ruled you out of an NHS go.

You can find your local PCT's contact details here PCT CONTACT DETAILS and the information should be readily available on their website.

If you do find your last cycle has made you exempt then like I said in my first post, there is absolutely no point in continuing with the NHS appointment.

Best of luck

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 4:19pm

I really don't think you would be entitled to a free go if you have a baby. I had to pay for my cycle as I have a son, and i'm almost 100% sure that's the same everywhere.

If you're not happy cancelling your NHS appointment untill you have your scan ... Can you not reschedule it to after the scan? and then cancel when you know everything is alright xfingers

Soooz

Star

Reg: Apr 3rd 2008

Children: 2 sons - Natural shock 99 & ICSI miracle 04

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 5:22pm

I agree with Kirsty...could u not postpone until u've had ure private scan?

I've had to pay for both my icsis and the next one as I already have a 9 year old son and I think that is true with all pct's, that if you already have a child u r not eligible for nhs treatment. nhs treatment is just for those with no children.

best of luck with ure
pregnancy :xxx3:
:flowerbasket:

Proud mum to two sons - natural unexpected in 1999 :8o: and ICSI in 2004 : D

We must let go of the life we had planned;
to have the life waiting for us

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Soooz" (May 28th 2008, 5:23pm)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 6:35pm

Hi Jo

I understand your anxiety until you know that all is well with your baby and for that reason I think that Kirsty's suggestion of postponing the appointment is good advice. The NHS has to take into account circumstances when funding IVF and refusing to fund treatment where there is an existing child in the family is a common one for PCTs.

Best of luck with your pregnancy.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 7:01pm

Hiya, there is nothing stopping you going to your appt, and my understanding is that kent will allow you to have an NHS turn if you have had up to two private cycles but have no living children by either partner. I can understand you wanting to keep your options open but the best bet would be to contact the clinic (is it Guy's?) directly and let them know the situation. SUrely they can and will hold it open for you so that they can re-book you if necessary after your scan? they do their appts monthly, and this will not be anything new to them.

If (and hopefully you will!!!) you go on to deliver this baby then no, you will not be entitled to tx from the NHS. They will find out, as the gap between now and trying again would be so long they would re-do the GP letter, and would be updating your gp anyway. It may seem unfair, but basically the NHS is prepared to give you a chance at solving your infertility and making you no longer "childless" by offering you one complete cycle, if you choose to go privately before then to avoid the wait then that is your choice, but the NHS has limited resources and have their set criteria.

We too, when we had some tx, had some privately first, knowing that if we got pg we would not use our NHS quota. To us it was a bonus as it avoided the wait and we knew that if we were successful we would be freeing up a place for someone else to have a chance at their dream sooner.

Really happy for you, and wishing you much luck on your journey
x
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Thursday, May 29th 2008, 7:36pm

Jo, I just wanted to add one more thing- and that is "I know :rolleyes: "
I guess I mean, I know it feels so unfair- why should you have to fight for a baby? pay for tx? struggle? It really is just so unfair but accepting that your journey is different from those who don't struggle to concieve, for those of us fortunate to go on to have a family- that just makes it that much more of a miracle. I know it is easy to feel resentment at not having an NHS cycle for "number two" - it is hard, but it is what it is so try to embrace it :rolleyes: The way I see it is that it frees up a slot for someone else, or some funding that a sick person might need to have something done a bit sooner, its just life. It sucks, the whole thing sucks, but the GOOD thing is, you have a clinic now that knows a good cycle process for you in terms of drugs and timing etc, so that is really a blessing, and you have time to plan ahead now too :smile: I guess the only comparison I can make is when we found out I didn't get the same adoption package as maternity leave- but as we knew early, we felt blessed we had time to save.

I hope that helps in some way, but do phone the clinic as I said you won't be the first or the last to be in your situation and they are not out to chuck you off the list, just put you on hold until they hear further news :smile:
xx
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

jojoanna

Friday, May 30th 2008, 9:05am

A thank you girls for all your opinions on this situ! I will call my NHS people and explain the situation i think. Will also speak to my private clinic as well on the subject.

Thanks again for all giving me your views. Much appreciated to hear different points of view.

Jo xx :smile:
Me 30 Husband 33

Saz

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Sunday, June 1st 2008, 9:31pm

We had a nightmare relating to this sort of thing last year. We were in the same situation you are in. We had actually been told by our clinic that having a private cycle, successful or otherwise would make no difference. We believed that so were ready for our NHS go. We were knocked down in flames. We even wrote to the PCT and were still knocked back.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Nikki34

Reg: Apr 11th 2009

Children: one Daughter

Sunday, April 12th 2009, 7:19pm

Hi Jo

I really think maybe you should tell them when you go to your appointment and then what they could do is wait for you to have your scan and if all is still positive which I am sure it will be you can let the NHS know and they can remove you from the list and let another couple take your place.

This happened to me too 6 years ago I had ICSI at Chelsfield first time was positive and about 2 months down the line I got the call from the NHS to say I was next on the list and to come in for my appointment, I gladly told them I was pregnant and to let another couple have my appointment. In your case you just want to be sure all is fine with the baby.

If you were thinking that by going to the appointment and then being on their waiting list for say 2 years you could give your baby a brother or sister they would find out and you would not be eligible for the NHS option.

Congrats, I am currently trying to shift 2 stone before I can start ICSI again to give my little girl a brother or sister.

Nikki
Nikki

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE