You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Reg: Aug 29th 2015

Children: 0 earth babies & 3 Angels, 1 failed fresh cycle of a double embryo transfer xxx

Monday, October 24th 2016, 9:59am

Morning Ladies

Hope you all had a nice weekend. Bambi good luck with your follow up appt. I always try to take a list of questions with me in case I get nervous and forget to ask what's in my head! I hope you GP can help too. I know GP's can do the diabetes and thyroid tests for you and possbile the blotting clotting test too. I'll check tonight and see if I still have the flyer Raigmore gave me on recurrent mc testing and check which other tests I had done a few years ago. The immunology ones have long complicated names and I can't remember them all lol. If I can find the flyer I'll send you a copy. It's maybe that all you need is something like taking baby Aspirin to make your blood less thick and sticky.That's a common cause of mc's. I hope they start looking into thins properly now and doing some further tests. What I don't get is why they don't do these tests before they start any type of IVF or fertility treatment as it would save a lot of money for them and heartache for you when cycles fail. I'm no expert but seem to have had most things done over the last few years and lots of research online. I don't know the proper difference between a chemical pregnancy and a mc apart from a chemical seems to be a term used if you test before your due date and get a positive test but then go on to have a bleed when AF would normally be due. I've also heard it called a false positive test which is a term I hate. A mc seems to be a term used after 5 weeks. I might be wrong though and this is just what I've read elsewhere or heard ladies say they have been told this on other forums. I've never had a chemical pregnancy though. Like you say, if you get a positive test then of course it must have implanted as your HCG are kicking in and it's the start of a new life no matter what stage it is at. Massive hugs as you have been through so much heartache over the last few months. You so deserve it to be your turn now.

We are all a big fertility family and I personally love the support we all give to each other. We have all been on our own personal journey of hope and sometimes sadness but no matter what we can all hopefully still reach out when someone needs support. A wee trip to Rome is a lovely suggestion and hopefully some down time with your OH would do you both some good. We've done things like that in the past and found just getting away for a few days anywhere and being able to thnik about something different and having some quality time together does help.

I'd better go and do some work now and stop skiving but lots of love and hugs to you all.

xxxx
:xxx3:

blowkiss

Reg: Feb 28th 2016

Tuesday, October 25th 2016, 11:16am

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the info rodeo girl- you know so much!

Tuesday, October 25th 2016, 11:18am

my friend didn't have the tests as they were not available at her clinic but they put her on steroids anyway as a last ditch attempt and botzh blasts took

Tuesday, October 25th 2016, 11:19am

Not sure if his is common practice- I was a bit surprised but didn't say anything as I didn't want to come across as knowing too much as I haven't told many people... I find it really difficult to speak to friends and family about all our treatment. There's a clinic in London that scores lowest in the HFEA score tables but they have the highest pregnancy and live birth success rates?! I think they're ranked lowest due to patient experience and unnecessary tests- I think they operate how we would like Aberdeen to operate- conducting all the tests under the sun before commencing IVF treatment. It may be an unnecessary cost to some but for many it would save so much physical and emotional anguish of multiple failed rounds, not to mention financial hardship! These blasts are from our 2nd and last funded round on the NHS so after this we are self funding... So lots of research needed before we decide where to do our next round.

I am forever grateful that this site exists - I feel completely alone but feel this offers a little sanctuary and somewhere to vent in a world where what is impossible for us comes so easy to everyone else. So happy to have found some fertility friends to share this with

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Weemiracles" (Oct 25th 2016, 11:24am)

Tuesday, October 25th 2016, 11:22am

I am forever grateful that this site exists - I feel completely alone but feel this offers a little sanctuary and somewhere to vent in a world where what is impossible for us comes so easy to everyone else. So happy to have found some fertility friends to share this with

Tuesday, October 25th 2016, 11:23am

I hope everyone is doing well and I hope you all get answers at your follow up appointment.

xxxxx hugs to all

Reg: Aug 7th 2014

Children: None

Thursday, October 27th 2016, 9:42am

Hi Rodeogirl, how did you get in with your follow up? Hope they had some info/answers for you both xx

Children: 0 earth babies & 3 Angels, 1 failed fresh cycle of a double embryo transfer xxx

Thursday, October 27th 2016, 10:04am

Morning Ladies how's everyone? Bambi how did you get on with your GP? Hope he can help with soem tests.

We had our follow up appt yesterday and suprisingly the staff were lovely. Poor hubby was really stressed and sitting with his hands in his head in reception with me staring into space and twice a nurse came and asked if we were ok then kindly offered to let us waiting in the consulting room as Dr Bhatta was running a few mins late after a meeting. We were pleased we got to see us as she knows my history well and said that Hazel, Dr Mashwari and herself had all sat down to review what went wrong and had spoken to the male Cons that had the problems with my transfer. She said the protocol was that if they had problems they are supposed to phone for the on call cons to come in and help not keep trying but that sometimes these things can happen and are due to the position of the equipment or the doctor. Another Cons could come and try and they may have no problems at all. They feel after me having 3 general anaesthetics in the last 2 years they don't want to do another hysterosopy for now and have decided to do an trial transfer first to see if they have the same problems inserting the catheter. They can do this in the clinic and Dr Bahtta or Dr Mashwari have agreed to do this as they both know my cervix! lol. If they can't get in then they will book me for another hysteroscopy. If they can get in, they are going to do an endometrial scratch at the same time. I asked why now as I was told they wouldn't do it before my last 2 cycles. They said recent evidence has now shown that it does improve chance of successful implantation and they wanted to take part in some research but as they are doing the e-freeze clinical trial they cannot do both. They are supposed to be going to start offering it to patients though and do their own inhouse data collection to see what it shows. I also spoke to Dr Quemby's secretary in Coventry about booking in for the uterine biopsy for natural killer cells and they should do that in roughly 5 weeks time. I have to have a natural bleed after the withdrawl bleed from stopping the meds a few weeks ago, then phone with a positive ovulation result and they do the test 7-10 days after this. The results take 4-5 weeks to come back and they email them to me and then have a follow up telephone consultation with me. If I have a high level of the NKC they will start me on steroids and possibly clexane injections which my GP has to prescribe for me. This is where i got a shock as Dr Bhatta then said she will sort all of this out with my GP for me! We were surprised at this as normally the NHS don't get involved in this but she said she is happy to do this once we get the results and the treatment plan to add this in to my next FET. Hopefully should get the result back about Christmas time, then they will schedule the trial transfer and scratch, then can start the meds again before my FET which I'm guessing will be end of Jan beg of Feb. My head is totally buzzing now with all the info and their surprise turn around with offereing all this support. Hubby wondered if they were worried we were going to make a formal complaint so maybe this is why they are being so helpful. We also asked if the very young donor was had proven fertility and had children already so she was going to find this out for us as she has such a low number of embryos extracted which isn't normal. So I can relax a wee bit now and hopefully enjoy a few drinks over Crimbo too! For anyoen having problems it might be worth asking about the scratch if they are going to start doing it again!

Hugs to everyone.

xxxx

blowkiss

Thursday, October 27th 2016, 12:17pm

Rodeogirl just read your post and my eyes are full.... You have been through so much and deserve this support now! Take care xxx

Reg: Jan 28th 2016

Children: 0

Saturday, October 29th 2016, 9:19pm

OMG rodeogirl that's amazing news!! I'm over the moon you are getting the support and they are finally listening to you!
Jan/Feb will soon come round and hopefully 2017 will be our year gals!!

Well I'm doing much better, my work gave me this week off as I had a wee emotional morning in work on Monday morning and was sent home by 10.30b. to be honest I felt mentally ok about what had happened I really think it was all hormones and I left work went to see my friend and just cried for about 3 hours. Doing fine now and spending a lovely weekend with my OH! Watching crappy X factor!!

We have a jam packed November, my OH away for training with work, I start my next svq, then we off to Rome for 5 days then the weekend were back we are getting new windows doors and a brand new shiny kitchen which is completely taking my mind of anything IVF related and hoping it won't be long after that we can get our follow up.

Spoke to clinic the other day and my Hcg levels weren't as low as required to put my notes up for review so having to get another blood test to ensure they are below 25.. prolonging my follow up!!!

Hope everyone enjoys that extra hour in bed tomoro morning, happy Halloween everyone!! Xxx
Seven transfers later..

Baby bambi due December 7th baby2

Monday, October 31st 2016, 10:12am

Morning ladies. Hope you all had a peaceful weekend.

Bambi massive hugs to you and that's great they gave you time off work to get your head round things. It's horrible sitting in work trying to put a brave face on things when it's the last place you want to be! Sounds like you have lots of lovely things to look forward to in Novemeber so that will keep your mind occupied. Have a fantastic time in Rome too and I'm so jealous of your shiny new kitchen in time for Christmas!! Fingers crossed your HCG levels dropped soon. My last mc took about 4 weeks for the levels to drop but I think that was due to having retained tissue. Prior to that they have usually dropped within about 10 days or so. Fingers crossed your drop soon so they can do your review and they can make some plans for the future.

Well I had a crazy drunken weekend with the girls celebrating a friend's 'Big' birthday! Started off with lunch at 13.00 and eventually staggered home about 10.30pm after an all day sesh! lol. I've not done that in years but I so needed to go out and just have a good laugh and fun for a change and let my hair done. I said to hubby yesterday that I feel the last 4.5 years has totally taken over our lives and I was always trying not to go out or drink much just in case it was our time when we were trying naturally to get pregnant then the IVF took over and I was trying to live the perfect and healthy lifestyle. I think I just forgot how to have fun anymore so loved getting out. I probably sound crazy but IVF is such a big thing an we wanted it to work so badly but we've decided that we have to start living and having fun with friends over the run up to Christmas. I caught the start of somehting on BBC Breakfast news this morning saying how many relationships fail when couples cannot fall pregnant. I recorded it before I left for work and will watch it later but I can totally understand the pressure it puts on you both.

Happy Halloween everyone and have a lovely evening! :)

:witchcouldron: :hallo5: :hallo3: :witch:

blowkiss

Sunday, November 13th 2016, 6:20pm

How is everyone doing?

Hi

It's been so quiet recently- how is everyone? Bambie, are your levels back down and ready for your follow up? How are you enjoying your wee break from it all rodeogirl? And how are all the first timers getting along with their treatment? I hope it is all going well for everyone and you're all nice and relaxed. Sending lots of positive vibes and best wishes to everyone

Sunday, November 13th 2016, 6:21pm

How is everyone doing?

Sending lots of positive vibes and best wishes to everyone

Sunday, November 13th 2016, 6:22pm

We finally managed to have our FET

Sunday, November 13th 2016, 6:22pm

This site!!!!!! I'm determined not to turn into a crazy,emotional wreck like the last 2 2ww!!

Lots of love and hugs to all xx

Sunday, November 13th 2016, 9:28pm

Fantastic weemiricals good luck, when did you have transfer x

Monday, November 14th 2016, 9:07am

Just on Friday. I haven't had any symptoms or signs of implantation so I'm feeling a bit down. Already know it hasn't worked :( Just struggling to think positively after all the disappointment in the past xx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Weemiracles" (Nov 14th 2016, 9:10am)

Monday, November 14th 2016, 9:30am

Weemiracles don't think like that it's so early to have symptoms. I know it's so hard but keep away from google I was so bad and it made me so worse. Are you working or off? Don't give up xxx

Monday, November 14th 2016, 11:38am

I know!! I need to put a ban on google searches!! Only ever had a week of the dreaded 2ww in the past but I've been told to expect no signs of negative with FET as I'm on both progynova and crinone so will just have to take test in 2weeks. In the past I've had an early period so knew it hadn't worked. I just need to keep myself busy... I'm working throughout so hopefully that's enough. Xx

Monday, November 14th 2016, 11:43am

How are you getting on hello? Did you have your wee one earlier this year? Xx

Monday, November 14th 2016, 12:24pm

Great news WeeMiracle they finally got your lining thick enough! :) what did they do in the end? Congratulations on your FET. Try not to loose hope quite yet. It's too early for any symptoms until at least about 10 days later. What's Crinone? I've not heard of that? Fingers crossed it helps and gives you a sticky bean. I know how hard it is not to lose hope being on the emotional rollercoaster of a journey. I'll keep everything crossed for you.

My update is that I should be ovulating around this weekend coming then I phone or email Prof Quemby in Coventry to get booked in for my natural killer cells biopsy to be taken. We've decided to fly from Aberdeen instead of Invernes as we can go down not he 6.45 flight to Birmingham then back up on the flight late aftenoon hopefully and then head back home again. It means we don't have to go down for 3 days with a 2 night stay. Then just got to wait 4-5 weeks for the results before Aberdeen schedule me for the endometrial scratch. I hate waiting but I'm relatively calm about getting the biopsy at the moment so that's good.

How's everyone else doing? Newbies have you been seen yet? Good luck you you all too.

xxx

blowkiss

Reg: Jan 28th 2016

Children: 0

Monday, November 14th 2016, 8:12pm

That's brilliant news weemiracle!! Hope u get ur wee miracle!

My wee update is my levels dropped back to feeling my usual self (miserable)!
We got our follow up in the post today and it's not until mid January feel it's so long away as it will be a full cycle and probably. E Feb/march by time we start treatment, I'm gonna phone for a cancellation I'd like an appointment before Christmas then hopefully be starting treatment in January I think it's too long a wait.

Good luck rodeogirl and I hope u get all the answers and solutions u need, we r heading of to Rome this weekend for a wee break from everything xx
Seven transfers later..

Baby bambi due December 7th baby2

Reg: Oct 25th 2015

Monday, November 14th 2016, 8:51pm

Hi everyone!

I'm really sorry I haven't been around here lately. I had completely switched off my mind from all the IVF thoughts until the time came. I kept busy reading my books and watching stuff on demand. Although I think we kept quite calm about it all, I really think I needed a break from it all...
But now the time has come for our 2nd round of IVF so... back to it all! I did get the endometrial scratch on the 12th of October. So perhaps they are offering it more now! The procedure was worse than I expected... I passed out for a few seconds!! Don't know if I've been the first one to do that, but the doctor was a bit surprised by it! :S I was a bit sore for a few days after, but luckily I was on holidays, so I could really take it easy and rest.
Well, totally in the middle of cetrorelix and Gonal F injections, but having a great response like our last time: lots of follicles growing! I think today the nurse counted 18 on one side and 11 on the other side. Hopefully it will mean a lot of eggs harvested again. It's likely I'll get the EC done this Friday. At least this time round I know what to expect, having had already last year's round...

How is everyone else doing? I hope you are keeping your positive thinking and no one losing hope! Lots of hugs. Xx
ICSI 1, Nov 2015: :BFN:
FET 1, March 2016: :BFN:
FET 2, June 2016: : :BFN:
ICSI 2, Nov 2016: :BFN:
FET 3, May 2017, :BFP: IT'S TWINS!!! bab22 bab22

Tuesday, November 15th 2016, 7:51pm

Hi everyone!! Apologies for being a bit doom and gloom!! Think these hormones are making me very emotional, up one minute and down the next!! Crinone is the progesterone I'm on - the cyclogest wasn't for me! Yesterday I think the combination of all the hormones and the stress started giving me the worst headaches. Had to have the day off work then back today and another splitting headache- anyone have experience with this? I'm drinking plenty but I suppose I've been a bit restless.

Hope everything goes well for you NK cell test rodeogirl- keep us posted.

Hope the egg collection goes well on Friday sunflower- sounds like you'll have an abundance of healthy wee embabies

Tuesday, November 15th 2016, 7:53pm

Hope the egg collection goes well on Friday sunflower- sounds like you'll have an abundance of healthy wee embabies

Tuesday, November 15th 2016, 7:54pm

Hope you manage to get a cancellation bambie!! Can't believe the wait is so long at the moment!! Persevere- there's always last minute cancellations.

Hope everyone is well xx

Friday, November 18th 2016, 10:32am

Morning Ladies

Bambi what a nightmare you are having to wait so long for your follow up appt. It's so soul destroying when you just want to get going again. Try giving them a call and see if they can pull your appt forward. It worked for us and the secretary phoned us back within a few weeks to offer us a cancellation appt. good luck xxx

Sunflower, welcome back and great to hear from you. Thanks for the info about the scratch. Fingers crossed I don't do the same! Yikes! Brilliant news about all the follices. That's an amazing amount! Good luck for collection today and will be thinking of you.Let us know how you get on.xxx

Wee miracles, hope the headaches area easing off a wee bit now. There is nothing worse than a spitting headache when you can only take paracetamol for them. Try for Forehead rub you can buy in a chemist or supermarket. I swear by that stuff for bad headaches and it sometimes works better than tablets! Take care.xxx

Hi to everyone else and have a lovely weekend.

xxx

blowkiss

Friday, November 18th 2016, 10:37am

Forgot to say did anyone see on the news last night that Aberdeen Research Team have invented an IVF prediction calculator? I've added some links below.

Link to the BBC news article.
Online calculator predicts IVF baby chances - BBC News

Research article in the BMJ
Predicting the chances of a live birth after one or more complete cycles of in vitro fertilisation: population based study of linked cycle data from 113 873 women | The BMJ

Link to the IVF Calculator
Home Page

xxx

blowkiss

Saturday, November 19th 2016, 12:05pm

Hi,
EC went well yesterday. Pretty much the same way it went last time (perhaps because I had the same doctor?). They recovered 17 eggs; exactly the same number than last time! However, I had phone call from embryologist this morning, saying that they successfully injected 11 and 9 fertilised. I know it's a great result, but last year we had 13 at this stage... I do wonder if age, as in just one year later, makes already that big a difference. Anyway, happy regardless. I know of other people with far less success, so I'm just grateful for our results.
I have been booked for transfer on Monday afternoon. They might advise in the morning if I should wait for blastocyst stage or not. We shall see!

Yes, I heard about the fertility calculator thing on the radio. I wonder if it is to raise awareness that, although IVF is a successful alternative to get pregnant, perhaps for people who don't know much about the process and what it involves have this idea that IVF is the ultimate solution with 100% success on your first attempt. We do know better than that!! I was quite surprised that in a program like Neighbours, had a storyline of a couple going for IVF and they went into the detail of talking about injections etc, which I had never heard before! It always seemed that you turned up at the hospital one day and you came out pregnant, just like that! Anyway, it turned out that the couple in question in Neighbours didn't get any viable eggs and had to drop the treatment. It also made me think about the fact that, even being fiction, are they trying to raise awareness that it doesn't always work??
How is everyone else doing?

Saturday, November 19th 2016, 3:34pm

Hi

Thanks for the link rodeo girl - amazing site, my brain hurts after reading the research though!! Having a calculator like this makes so much sense - it takes into account every variable :) our odds start at 40% and increase to 60% for second round so fingers crossed! Interesting that tubal factors decrease chance by 10%.

Well done sunflower!! I think that's an amazing round :) quality, not quantity :) we had 16 collected on our 1st round 11 fertilised and by day 3 only 2 poor quality embryos transferred and no embryos/ blasts to freeze :( BFN whereas in our second round 13 collected, only 6 fertilised and we had 2 grade 2 embryos transferred and we had 2 good quality blasts frozen :) so numbers really aren't important sometimes :) hope you are feeling well after your collection and have a lovely relaxing weekend before transfer on Monday. I have everything crossed for you- hope you have lots of lovely blasts /embryos to transfer and freeze.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I'm one week down and one week to go!!! Feeling surprisingly relaxed :) happy not to know just now xx

Monday, November 21st 2016, 9:07am

Morning Ladies

Hope you all had a nice relaxing weekend.Sunflower, good luck with your transfer this afternoon if it goes ahead and hope everything goes smoothly. Enjoy being PUPO :) Fingers crossed you get lots of frosties too!

Wee miracles glad you are doing ok too. Stay nice and relaxed and will keep everything crossed for you. When is your OTD?

I know what you mean about reading through all the research. I printed it all off and read it properly at home over the weekend when I had more time. I sometimes think the first cycle is pot luck as they are experimenting to get the correct level of drugs to use. I've heard a lot of stories about people having more success after a few cycles. Good point Sunflower too. A lot of people going into IVF blind so to speak thinking it's a miracle cure for infertility and they press a button and walk away pregnant. Sadly the emotional roller coaster as well as the practical aspects of injections etc are not well shown on tv etc so people think ti's a breeze. We had an interesting talk with the counsellor before we chose to use a donor and they had to make sure that lots of emotional aspects were covered and how we would cope with things especially if we did have a baby at the end of the treatment. I sometimes wonder if everyone should have to have at least one session with the counsellor before all types of IVF and not just using a donor, as the group sessions don't really prepare you for what you are about to go through.

My update is that I emailed Prof Quenby over the weekend to say I had got a positive ovulation test so fingers crossed we hear back today with a date for the NKC biopsy to be taken in the next 7-10 days. Here's hoping the weather improves before we travel. It's -6 here today!!

xxxx

blowkiss

Monday, November 21st 2016, 3:19pm

Hi ladies,

Thank you for your support. I had the call from embryologist in the morning and said that we have 7 nice looking embies, so ET won't be until Wednesday.
I'm off all week, so taking it easy and resting. I don't feel as great as I did last year. I still feel a bit of discomfort and abdominal pain... However, they gave me progesterone pessaries since EC day, which I don't remember getting last time. I'm pretty sure I only started with those from ET. Is this something new?? Did anyone else get pessaries from egg collection too?
So I'm thinking that maybe the discomfort and abdominal pain may be a side effect from pessaries, although I never felt that way in the past... I'll mention it to the nurses and see what they say. Just glad I'm at home, actually!
Good luck Wee miracles. When's your test due? Hope you get good news too Rodeo girl: you're due some!! Xx

Monday, November 21st 2016, 4:13pm

Hi Sunflower that's a great amount and sounds promising too if they are leaving your transfer until day 5. Will keep everything crossed for you they keep growing nice and strong. I started the progesterone pessaries day of egg collection toallow my lining to thicekn up before transfer and with my donor cycle I started them on the day of the donor's egg collection before my transfer. I'm not sure if they do things differently though for different types of cycles. The progesterone can make you feel rubbish sometimes especially if you have had a lot of follicles popped to check for eggs.My empty follicles filled up with fluid again by time of transfer and looked like a bunch of grapes! I remember feeling really bloated and uncomfortable for a few days afterwards. make sure you keep drinking lots of fluid to prevent OHSS. Take things easy while your littel ones are cooking. Good luck for Wed and hope it all goes well.

Well I spoke to the clinic at lunchtime and I'm booked for natural killer cells biopsy next Mon afternoon. Just need to get home and work out all the travel arangements now. It's not an easy place to get to!

xxxx

blowkiss

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 5:05pm

Thanks Rodeo girl. Feeling better today, but still have such an uncomfortable bloated feeling. First time I've felt as bad since treatment started! Hopefully tomorrow I will be ok for ET. Between bloated feeling and full bladder, I don't think it will be pleasant at all! If you don't mind me asking, I totally missed out on what happened with your egg donor cycle. What was the outcome of it? Are you still going through it? I hope it all goes well for you on Monday. Xx

hay12

Reg: Nov 10th 2016

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 6:36pm

Hi guys, been following this thread for a while now. Me an DH have been waiting to start our ivf icsi and todays the day i start my injections. Thought i would join in the chat and see how everyone is getting on. Were are on the short protocol. This is our firat cycle so unsure what to expect.

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 10:02pm

Hi Hay12,
Welcome! The nurses at the unit are great and they will keep you right every step of the way. If you have any questions, they're always great at getting back to you. If you have started injections, they will arrange a few scans (one every second day) to monitor and measure your follicles. When they think you'll be ready for egg collection (usually 2 days after last scan) they will tell you what time to take your last injection, which is 36h before egg collection. I just had my second one last Friday. My advice would be: go in with plenty of positive thoughts, but not with great expectations. This is such a difficult journey to go through and, although some might be lucky, I always prepare myself for the worst; that way the disappointment if it doesn't work is not as devastating. Try to be as calm and patient about it. The more you stress, the more anxious you become and it doesn't help matters. I really hope your first cycle has a great outcome and my fingers are crossed to wish you good luck. I'm in for ET tomorrow! X

Thursday, November 24th 2016, 1:56pm

Hi Everyone

I've just read this article online at lunchtime. Whatever will they come up with next! My colleagues would wonder what on earth I am up to if I sat with this device strapped to my thigh! :rollseyes:

Women could conceive at their desks with the help of new ‘holster’ fertility pump

xxxx

blowkiss

Thursday, November 24th 2016, 2:14pm

Welcome Hay12 to our group. Good luck with your cycle and feel free to ask any questions. I'm sure someone will pop online and hopefully be able to answer them for you. There is so much information out there and it's such a minefield to know what is right or wrong. Keep in touch and we will try to support you as much as possible.

Sunflower, how did your transfer go yesterday? Hope you are taking things easy and the side effects have a settled a wee bit.Fingers crossed for a sticky bean!

Our egg donor cycle had 5 out of 6 eggs fertilized, 3 excellent grade and 2 weren't great. So 1 was frozen and they transferred 2 but the Cons was struggling to insert the catheter through my cervix and didn't page the 2nd on call Cons for help. To cut a long story short after trying a 3rd type of catheter her eventaully forced it in and inserted the embryos near the neck of the uterus, not an ideal place so we came away feeling it hadn't worked as I had major cramping afterwards. We saw our own Cons for a follow up 2 weeks later so she is going to do a mock transfer first to make sure this doesnt happen again and if they can't get in they will take me back for another hysteroscopy. If they can get in, they will do the scratch at the same time. So we are off to Coventry at the weekend to get my natural killer cells uterine biopsy done first on Moday then once we get the results in about 6 weeks, Aberdeen will schedule the mock transfer and scratch the month before my FET. It's going to be a busy few months and back to travelling in winter again which isn't ideal but fingers crossed we won't get too much snow this year! I'm not looking forward to getting the uterine biopsy on Mon but I've been going on about it for nearly 4 years so I need to get it done to keep me sane! lol

xxxx

blowkiss

Thursday, November 24th 2016, 7:52pm

Hi,
I forgot to mention my ET yesterday. It all went pretty well and straight forward, thank goodness. 5 frosties! Plus 2 still left from previous round. Good reserve for back up plan... We'll see how things go this time round. 2WW until 8th December. Will come fast enough, I'm sure. Side effects from pessaries are getting better. Felt much better today, actually. Will be back to work on Monday. It's been good having the week off and just chilling at home.
Rodeogirl, what a carry on!! I can't believe they had such issues with the catheter. I hope the biopsy goes well on Monday and better luck with the next attempt. You deserve a bit of luck at last! Xx

ABCgirl

Reg: Nov 26th 2016

Saturday, November 26th 2016, 1:51pm

New to all this

Hi ladies - ive been reading for a while and seeing as AF has just came I'm just so sad and need an outlet. DH and I are 33, been trying for almost 2 years. We moved to Aberdeen a few months ago and before then had started the investigations. Hormone levels (D3 and D21) are normal, tubes clear (after HSG), had an ovarian cyst removed as well as 3 polyps back in July. No male factor. I ovulate regularly and have normal cycles (25-29 days). Im a healthy BMI, don't smoke, don't drink that much and eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly. I was referred from my previous doctor to the fertility clinic here. We had a consult with Dr Damian Best. Unexplained infertility is the diagnosis and now we just have to wait a few more months until we've been trying for 2 years and then he'll recommend IVF.

I'm so distraught... I know this is only the beginning of a possibly long and hard journey. I desperately want to avoid IVF mainly because I'm not convinced of the success rates for unexplained. I've been trying everything: Pregnacare, CoQ10, Omega 3, extra Vitamin E & D, Pre-seed and just started acupuncture. The acupuncturist suggested Vitex and Tumeric pills but haven't bought those yet. After months of temping and taking OPKs I decided to stop all that. Was feeling happy and positive last month until AF came yesterday and just feel like I fall apart and it happens every month. Then I get better, get hopeful, try to have fun during sex, and the cycle repeats. I'm so frustrated that there isn't an answer to why it's not working.

I'm thinking of going to the monthly support group. Does anyone go to that? Does it help?

I'm also curious about getting immunology testing done... even willing to pay and travel for it... just makes more sense to me to get as much testing done as possible before hand. Dr Best told me they don't support it and I know I'm not the 'typical' patient.. haven't had miscarriages, no known issues with autoimmune disease, etc. I just hate waiting and feeling helpless.

And I'm about to go to lunch with friends and they all have kids, one is pregnant with her second. And I don't know how I'm going to make it through the day. I want to cancel so badly and was thinking of doing so yesterday, but it's a big event we've been planning for a few weeks. They are new friends too since we're trying to adjust to life here, I don't want to bail. I just feel like we're the odd ones out without kids.... I can't bear to hear them talk about children, not today. Yesterday I thought I'd feel better today and thought I'd give myself the benefit of the doubt, hope I'm stronger than I think to get through this.
And at the same time, i feel so foolish... I feel like I might be over reacting and being too emotional... I haven't gone through the struggles that I know many of you have. So I'm sorry for sounding like I'm whining about nothing... I just don't know who or where to turn to. I've tried to reach out to some friends back home and they just told me "just relax, get drunk and it'll happen." Another acquaintance I reached out to said they decided to move abroad after being unsuccessful with all the treatments and just trying to focus on themselves now. None of that has been helpful. :(

Well thanks for reading... ;(
Me/DH(34) TTC 2.5y Unexplained
Oct '17: IVF1 TFF
Feb ‘18: IVF2 w/ICSI+AOA BFN
5 ❄️
Apr: FET 1 BFP

Saturday, November 26th 2016, 10:44pm

Hi ABCgirl,

I totally understand how you feel and quite right about it! It's very normal to feel the way you do. My DH and I have been trying for 4 years, we also have 'unexplained infertility', since no tube blocked, never had a mc or male factor either. It just doesn't happen! Worse than that, we started IVF last year. I had a great response to the drugs (I was told I'm in the top 5% of good response), lots of good eggs collected, got as many as 8 really good grading embryos, everything from start to finish going very positive and smoothly and yet, negative results for the last 3 attempts. We have just gone through our second round of IVF, again, all very good, but just waiting patiently until test day... Fingers crossed!
It really is an emotional rollercoaster and I totally know what you mean about meeting with friends with kids. We have a similar situation, where ALL of our friends have young children. Sometimes it doesn't bother us, but other times it really does. Like you say, you feel the odd ones out with no kids... 2 years ago we were invited to an Easter lunch with everyone coming together and at that time, we couldn't face it and we didn't go. So I totally know how you feel. You don't want to avoid seeing your friends because of it, but it is so hard at times...
It is true that it becomes a really stressful and frustrating process and puts a lot of pressure on both of you, sometimes putting so much strain in the relationship that I know of people breaking up because of it! So you need to watch that... I also know of lots of cases of people who were very stressed about it all, gave it a break and went on a holiday together to get away from the stress, and they got pregnant while they were away. So each case is different and yes, easier said than done, but the more you obsess about it, the more anxious you become and that will definitely won't help matters. We just take the whole thing with as much calm and patience as we can. Since things didn't work for the first 2 years, we came to the conclusion that we had a long journey ahead of us, and we take each step as it comes, with positive thinking but low expectations. That's my way to deal with disappointment, so it's not as devastating if your hopes are high.
There is not much I can probably say to make you feel better, but sometimes just letting it out and know that someone is listening can mean a bit of comfort. I hope I can at least do that for you... Friends and family can be sympathetic, but only people who are going through the same as you will fully understand you.
On the positive side, if you say you're 33 you still have age on your side for a positive outcome. Don't despair. One day it will be your turn.
Do try to stop obsessing about it all and knowing you're already 'in the system' may give you some reassurance too. Do some fun things to take your mind off things and perhaps go to the group for support if you feel talking to other people will help. Big hugs and chin up!

ABCgirl

Reg: Nov 26th 2016

Sunday, November 27th 2016, 12:34pm

Hi Sunflower77

Thank you so very much. I went through the dinner and it was okay. I didn't feel like myself but made it through. I know I have lots to be thankful for and reasons to stay positive. I'll remember 'staying positive but have low expectations' That is the hardest part for me right now. So far our marriage isn't suffering... the timed sex has been a bit of a buzz kill but we're trying to work through that. He's been super supportive and I know it's hard for him too.

Fingers crossed for you and hope this time it works out. And thank you again for your message.

Out of curiosity - i searched 'aspirin' and some people here take the low dose aspirin. Is it called aspirin in the U.K.? Would any chemist have it? I'm weary of self medicating and trying a drug to help with this... but again I'm willing to try anything at this point before moving on to IVF.
Me/DH(34) TTC 2.5y Unexplained
Oct '17: IVF1 TFF
Feb ‘18: IVF2 w/ICSI+AOA BFN
5 ❄️
Apr: FET 1 BFP

Monday, November 28th 2016, 9:39pm

Hi ABCgirl,
Glad to hear you feel a bit better and that you managed the dinner in the end. I'm glad I could help. :)
I don't really know about the aspirin. I wouldn't take anything unless advised by a doctor, because what might benefit one person might not work for the next. I just take the folic acid tablets and nothing else. Unless I have been told otherwise. The internet is very dangerous with so many different bits of advice... I think it probably makes things worse! Take care. X

Tuesday, November 29th 2016, 5:38pm

Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

Welcome ABCgirl. I'm so sorry to hear your story and all you are going through. The emotional side of fertility issues is so hard and I totally understand where you are coming from in wanting to avoid friends with kids when you want it so badly. I've been there done that. Most of our close friends with young children are great and don't go on and on about them all the time and we get on great with their kids when we do see them but we have one couple where the mum thinks she is Mother Earth, and that's all she lives for. Sadly I was pregnant at the same time as her and it was torture to listen I her going on and on about her pregnancy after my mc. Sometimes though I've discovered the thought of not wanting to get together with people is worse than the actual event but if I've gone and it gets too much I just make excuses to change the children subject and jokingly say it's a child free zone so let's have some adult talk. Big hugs though. It's really hard. Feel free to chat to us all anytime.

Well I had my private appt in Coventry yesterday at Prof Quenby's Clinic. We saw her colleague Prof Jan Bronsens and he was amazing! I don't usually rave about people but he was such a lovely guy and totally put us at ease and answered all our questions. He thought I had a really interesting history and didn't quite fit into an exact criteria. What he did say was that my thin lining issues was caused by the 2 ERCP's I had after the last 2 mc's and the last failed IVF cycle would have been due to the muck up at the embryo transfer. He then explained all about how the natural killer cells form and multiply out of control surrounding the foetus killing it off And how cells flatten each month during your cycle and over time don't bounce back so to speak so they they need to treat them to allow the lining to thicken up also. His gut feeling is that I have high levels of NKC goI got by what I've described in my history, cycle and lining etc but said the biosymwill also check for any underlying infections which may have never been picked up on swabs which can be below the surface. By doing the biopsy checks cells deeper down. Ive never has any infections to my knowledge or been treated for any but I'm intreigued to see what may show up now.

What was really interesting though was probably in connection to the Panorama documentary which was on BBC1 last night about 'ivf add ons' which are a waste of money. He said basically that acupuncture and reflexology are good for relaxation but a waste of money for preventing mc and helping with IVF, all herbs, lotions and potions, tablets, vitamins are a waste in money too. Anythung you need, you should get from a good healthy diet with fruit and veg and home cooked food and not processed food. By taking some of these additional things can cause an overdose effect of certain vitamins you get from other sources such as food, pregacare etc which can be dangerous too and too much can have an adverse effect on your body from what you want them to do. I told him I did a year of acupuncture, took pregacare conception, Vit E, omega 3 fish oils, Brazil nuts, pomegranate juice, Ubiquinol (better form of co-enzyme q10) and nothing helped or improved my lining. I stopped taking them apart from pregacare conception last Easter and my lining improved for my trial cycle of drugs in July and before my last cycle in Sept. it wasn't perfect and the high dose of oestrogen helped but baseline scan was way better than it had ever been. My scan yesterday on CD21 was 6.4mm which isn't brilliant and needs worked in as he put it, but is way better than 4.3mm at the same point on CD21 a year ago when I took everything under the sun thinking it was helping. He also told me to stop taking aspirin immediately as you should never take it until at least 7 weeks pregnant at the earliest as it can block some 'agents' (can't remember the name of them) which your body naturally produces to help with implantation and early pregnancy. Even if you have proven clotting issues, you still shouldn't take it until after 7 weeks.and only on medical advice. Also taking some vitamins such as Vit E and Omega 3's when taking aspirin is dangerous as they can cause similar blood thinning effects as aspirin. I had heard this before. He asked why I was asking it and I said I was told to take it in my 3rd pregnancy after we got a heartbeat at 6weeks going by my dates. Sadly scan 2 weeks later showed no HB and that baby died 3 days after startung on the aspirin so there is a possibility the aspirin was blocking these natural agents which caused the pregnancy to fail. He then took the uterine biopsy to test a tissue sample for natural killer cells. oh my god I have never felt so much pain in my life and with no pain killers but thankfully the biopsy only takes 10 seconds then the severe cramping stops immediately when they removed the catheter. He used a thick catheter to go in through my cervix after the issues I had with my last transfer and said he felt a little resistance but it went in ok with no issues this time thank goodness. So it's a waiting game now until after the Crimbo hols until I get the results then they do a phone follow up appt to decide what to do next. He said if I have very high levels then he wants to treat me with steroids first then repeat the biopsy before my FET to ensure the best chance of success and to check the levels have dropped to below 5% which is normal. Resting now and taking things easy.

Glad to be home now after a long few days away and ready to watch Panorama show from last night with hubby when he comes home. It will be interesting viewing. Did anyone else watch it? What did you think?

Love and hugs to you all xxxx

blowkiss

Tuesday, November 29th 2016, 5:38pm

PS sorry for the novel above! Lol xxxx

blowkiss

Tuesday, November 29th 2016, 5:49pm

Sunflower great news about the transfer and all the Frosties too! Lots as a backup for the future. Glad the symptoms are doing ok too. Take care and look after yourself Hun xxx

blowkiss

Tuesday, November 29th 2016, 9:27pm

Hi Rodeogirl,

Glad to hear that your appointment yesterday went well and that you got lots of answers. Amazing what you can get from a second opinion, huh? Hopefully they will be able to get you on the right tracks too.

I didn't catch the documentary you mentioned (I'll see if I can catch it on demand), but it confirms my theory that you shouldn't take anything because you have 'read' or 'heard' somewhere that it helps with fertility, etc. Again, perhaps there have been cases where it has helped, but not a solution for all, or worse it could cause some damage instead. I'm a true believer that eating healthy food (the least processed and least 'added bits' the better!) should be a source of all those vitamins needed: you want omega 3, eat blue fish, etc. Vitamin supplements are really for those people who cannot eat those particular types of food, because of allergies or other reasons and that's the way you make up for it. All the extra supplements, as you well said, could mean ending up taking far too much of something, which may cause negative effects instead... This conversation always makes me think of Actimel. The so praised L. Casei ingredient in it, apparently it was created as a drug/medicine for those people unable to produce the bacteria inside their bodies themselves. This served a really small amount of people, so not a good business idea. Solution: let's sell this ingredient to a yogurt company and market it as if this is the best thing ever to strengthen your immunologic system. Even better, make people believe that you have to have one everyday (let's think, who benefits more from this concept: you/your health or their pockets with all the sales?). Well... eventually, your body gets an overdose of this bacteria, so your body stops producing it naturally and, guess what? You will have no choice but to continue taking Actimel every day because that's the only way your body will have this bacteria. So... who's the winner here after all? Isn't it shocking how companies fool us like that? A good doctor told my mum this story when she asked once years ago if there was any benefit at all in taking it.
Sorry about the ranting, but I hate how we are manipulated to eat or drink certain things because of advertising and moneymaking purposes.... Also to watch out for all those low fat or 'no added sugars' products, because what they put it them to make up for it is usually worse!
Never mind... Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and having a good week so far. I'm back to work and trying to enjoy being PUPO until a week on Thursday! Xx

Wednesday, November 30th 2016, 3:29pm

Hi Sunflower

I'm so glad we paid the money to go down ans see the clinic as they are the leading experts on recurrent mc and on natural killer cells which can be a major cause of implantation failure. It's the best £360 I've paid in a while and if I need a repeat biopsy done after any treatment they do this for free which is really good too. Fingers crossed the can find something to treat if that makes sense. I'm getting the odd little twinges today if I bend over and my stomach is a bit swollen but apart from that I feel fine which is good.

The TV documentary is avaialble on BBC iPlayer and is called Panorama - Inside Britain's Fertility Business. I had planend to watch it last night but fell asleep so will watch it tonight instead. I suppose we will all try anything to begin with if it gives us a hope that it might help improve things and give us a successful outcome but after reading some of the list of of tests they have mentined elsewhere today, I'll give some a miss this time but I don't totally agree with all the things they have listed. I think the Embryoscope is a great way to monitor the division of cells by continually taking pics without disturbing them and I know people who have had no luck with IVF but by selecting a specific sperm to use, have finally had a positive result. They all seem to agree that the endometrial scratch is good though.

The Doctor who told your mum the story about Actimel is probably right. I take it if I've been on antibiotics but that's the only time. Your body has to try and absorb these vitamins from good sources but then I suppose if you have been ill then you sometimes need a little extra help getting them in other forms short term. Well I've tried acupuncture, all the herbs, potions and pills and been off them all since about Easter so apart from Pregacare Conception I'm going all natural from now on and trying to be extra healthy over the crimbo hols and not eat too much junk lol. That might be easier said that done! Christmas is the season of Chocolate!

Glad you are doing ok and back at work.Take things easy and fingers crossed for a sticky bean this time.

xxxx

blowkiss

Wednesday, November 30th 2016, 10:10pm

Hi,
I watched the Panorama documentary. It's so shocking to see how they take advantage of people's desperation to have a baby by taking your money for all those tests! Especially the ones that it said were harmful instead of beneficial... Especially going private, you'll think they are offering you the most complete package and instead, they're ripping you off. And of course, you believe what the doctors say and you don't question it! So shocking to see.
Anyway, half way through 2WW already! Only 1 week to go. Are there any symptoms at all at this stage?xx

Thursday, December 1st 2016, 12:06pm

Morning, we finally watched the documentary last night and had mixed views about it. We mainly thought it gave a very negative and one sided view to the treatmennts they discussed and didn't give you the full picture or information about them. That's the media scare mongering though to get people worried! We were interested to see what they said about the natural killers cell test after having it done on Mon and speaking to the top UK expert leading on research into it. Anyone with any common sense who wants their levels checked and who has done any research into it will know that a blood test is a waste of time as everyone carries NKC in their bloodstream to fight off various things such as cancer and infection. The only reliable way to test levels is by having a uterine biopsy as the levels in the bloodstream have nothing to do with pregnancy. I agree that any clinic offerring a blood test is ripping you off but I wish they had given a fair side to the discussion and gone into a bit more detail about the biopsy to give you a more balanced view. They also discussed in detail about PGD embryo testing. Again they laid it on thick that it was randomly being offered instead of it only should really be used if you have an underlying medical/genetic condition which needs to be checked to see if you are carrying the faulty gene. I could go on and on about lots of things said but you get my personal feeling that it was a very one sided view to some thins discussed. Yes some private clinics are charging for lots of things but the NHS are also providing lots of these tests for free and the NHS don't do anything unless there is some sort of evidence to show they do help in some cases. Aberdeen offer lots of these things for free which is good. I think the bottom line is yes we are desperate enough to try anything if we thought it might help but the bottom line is do your research properly first and ask your clinic for as much info as possible and ask them about any risks and what evidence they have or what research they have personally carried out into these tests before spending thousands of pounds. Aberdeen love me when I come in with my lists of questions and printouts of latest research which on occasssion they haven't heard of yet! lol. I had to tell them about stem cell research at the start of the year so they were going to discuss the journal article I have given them a copy of at their next meeting! I do agree though that HEFA or whoever do need to tighten up and regulate some private clinics a bit better so patients know what they are getting themselves into before they even go for a consultation with whoever.

Sunflower have a look at the day 3 and day 5 transfer timeline. It might help a wee bit with what to expect.

Morning, we finally watched the documentary last night and had mixed views about it. We mainly thought it gave a very negative and one sided view to the treatmennts they discussed and didn't give you the full picture or information about them. That's the media scare mongering though to get people worried! We were interested to see what they said about the natural killers cell test after having it done on Mon and speaking to the top UK expert leading on research into it. Anyone with any common sense who wants their levels checked and who has done any research into it will know that a blood test is a waste of time as everyone carries NKC in their bloodstream to fight off various things such as cancer and infection. The only reliable way to test levels is by having a uterine biopsy as the levels in the bloodstream have nothing to do with pregnancy. I agree that any clinic offerring a blood test is ripping you off but I wish they had given a fair side to the discussion and gone into a bit more detail about the biopsy to give you a more balanced view. They also discussed in detail about PGD embryo testing. Again they laid it on thick that it was randomly being offered instead of it only should really be used if you have an underlying medical/genetic condition which needs to be checked to see if you are carrying the faulty gene. I could go on and on about lots of things said but you get my personal feeling that it was a very one sided view to some thins discussed. Yes some private clinics are charging for lots of things but the NHS are also providing lots of these tests for free and the NHS don't do anything unless there is some sort of evidence to show they do help in some cases. Aberdeen offer lots of these things for free which is good. I think the bottom line is yes we are desperate enough to try anything if we thought it might help but the bottom line is do your research properly first and ask your clinic for as much info as possible and ask them about any risks and what evidence they have or what research they have personally carried out into these tests before spending thousands of pounds. Aberdeen love me when I come in with my lists of questions and printouts of latest research which on occasssion they haven't heard of yet! lol. I had to tell them about stem cell research at the start of the year so they were going to discuss the journal article I have given them a copy of at their next meeting! I do agree though that HEFA or whoever do need to tighten up and regulate some private clinics a bit better so patients know what they are getting themselves into before they even go for a consultation with whoever.

Sunflower have a look at the day 3 and day 5 transfer timeline. It might help a wee bit with what to expect.

What happens after Embryo transfer? Day 3 & Day 5 transfer calendar, ivf | Bubbles and Bumps

xxx

blowkiss

8 users apart from you are browsing this thread:

8 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE