You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Cal Lou" started this thread

Reg: Apr 20th 2006

Tuesday, January 8th 2008, 3:27pm

Gestone & Clexane Injections

Hi all

Is anyone else having Gestone and Clexane injections? I'm doing them daily and are due to keep doing them upto 10 or 11 weeks?

I really shouldn't be moaning I know but my legs and bum are so sore. I've tried ice and hot wheat packs but nothing helps? Any ideas ladies?

Sending lots of :sticky: to all

love Cal x

blowkiss

TTC since Aug 2004
5 Clomid cycles :BFN:
IVF Aug 2007 :BFN:
ICSI Dec 2007 :BFP:

Reg: Jun 8th 2006

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 1:06pm

Hi Cal Lou - I know how you feel. I am doing Gestone injections everyday and will continue until my 10 week scan.

I have no magic advice for the bruises - they wake me up every time i roll over in bed! And I'm getting nasty lumps under the skin - which take a while to disappear. The only thing I will say is that it does seem to go in cycles - i seem to get 4-5 days where i get lots of bruises and it is really sore, and then they settle down for a week or so and i feel fine.

I know its hard, but it seems to be doing the trick so I'm just focussing on two weeks away when the injections will stop.

The only thing we've found sometimes helps is if you massage the area of the injection afterwards - it is supposed to help with the absorption of the drug and prevent the development of lumps and bruises. I'm not really convinced any of it works - but DH seems to enjoy the massage! lmao

Hang in there,
Petra

5 years ttc
Endemetriosis
2005 - 3 IUI
1st IVF - 2006 - BFN
Nov 2006 - FET - BFP - 3/01/07 m/c at 8 weeks - blighted ovum

Nov 2007 - FET - :BFP: - bab21

• "Cal Lou" started this thread

Reg: Apr 20th 2006

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 3:30pm

Thank you for replying Petra and thanks for the advice too - I'll get DH to try it tonight? Everytime he does the injection he says sorry - bless !

I know what you mean though sometimes I'm really sore then other nights I'm fine.

We know it will all be worth it in the end - they are keeping our little buds safe. So if I stop the injections at 10 weeks - I only have 4 weeks of injections to go.....

Take care

Love Cal x

blowkiss

TTC since Aug 2004
5 Clomid cycles :BFN:
IVF Aug 2007 :BFN:
ICSI Dec 2007 :BFP:

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 4:02pm

It sounds such a long time when you say 4 weeks left.

Mind you i just calculated that we have been doing the injections for 6 weeks now.

I'm counting down now - only 13 more injections to go - happydance - bring on the needle.

My DH is getting very fed up of doing the injections - I don't think he is taking quite as much care as he did before - mind you i was brave the other night and let him do it after he'd had about 5 pints. Thankfully my bum is quite a large target, but i never thought he'd use it for dart board practice lmao !

Hang in there, and use a nice cushion for sitting down! You've got to laugh about it. As you say hopefully its keeping Og (that's what we are calling our bean) nice and safe until the placenta takes over fully.
Petra

5 years ttc
Endemetriosis
2005 - 3 IUI
1st IVF - 2006 - BFN
Nov 2006 - FET - BFP - 3/01/07 m/c at 8 weeks - blighted ovum

Nov 2007 - FET - :BFP: - bab21

Reg: Feb 23rd 2007

Children: 1 Gorgeous little boy

Sunday, March 16th 2008, 1:01pm

GESTONE QUESTIONS

Hi

I have been put on Gestone Injections post ET and have a quiery about the needles.

When I was in the clinic the nurse showed me and my DP how to do the injections and the needle she showed us how with was..lets say slightly on the HUGE size!!

But when I went to pick up my perscrption from the chemist, the pharmasist said that as I was small she would give me the blue needles instead of the green, the blue ones are smaller and not as thick.

Worrying slightly now as when I had the injection last night it didnt hurt, it hurts when i feel where the needle went in but not at the time of injection.

Has anyone got any advise???

I am going to check with the clinic on Monday, but in the mean time any advise would be great

xxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Andrea" (Mar 16th 2008, 1:02pm)

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Sunday, March 16th 2008, 1:17pm

i have never done these well not yet

how much smaller is the blue needle?

im sure it will be ok but of course check

Reg: Feb 20th 2008

Children: No Children

Sunday, March 16th 2008, 1:33pm

Hi Andrea,

I havent had this medication, but just in case it helps, i was given the blue needles to draw up the buserelin inj for down regging, then given the green for the stimming injections.

My sis-in-law who is a nurse, explained that it is because of the meds u are drawing up, ie the stimms had powder in them, so need bigger hole in the end of the needle.

As for your injection hurting one day and the not the next, mine do that constantly and i reckon it is just pot luck whether it hurts or not, so i wudnt take that as an indication.

Im sure it will be fine.

God luck,

dx

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Sunday, March 16th 2008, 7:04pm

Hi Andrea, I'm using gestone at the moment. With the blue needles.

x

Sunday, March 16th 2008, 7:25pm

Thanks girls

Kara they are quite a bit smaller, maybe just over half the size i'd guess

Hi Jodie, so glad someone else is using them :D was you told why you were to use the blue needles???

xxx

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Andrea" (Mar 16th 2008, 7:33pm)

kar1

Sunday, March 16th 2008, 8:39pm

i found a link that might help you

http://www.cmht.nwest.nhs.uk/directorate…onTechnique.pdf

**Admin/Moderator note - This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityZone.co.uk is not responsible for the content of external internet sites**

Monday, March 17th 2008, 4:16pm

Thanks Kara, spoken with my clinic this afternoon and they have said that I should have the green needles, so have been speaking to pharcamies this arvo to get some as the receptionist at the Dr's said they could only write me a perscription on Wed ... absolutley useless i tell you!!!!!!!!!!!! to angry to argue with them!!!

Tuesday, March 18th 2008, 1:28pm

Hi Andrea

We were told to use the green needles to craw up and the blue needles to inject.

As for the pain - that is quite common - well it was with me. Might not hurt at the time and then you'll get a really painful lump or bruise the next day. Luck of the draw as to which one hurt.

Hope you get on ok. I guess you should do what the clinic tells you, but does it really matter which needles you use - in the end they are all getting the drugs to the right place. The blue ones are definitely thinner though - so probably less painful.

Good Luck

Pootle

Megastar

Tuesday, March 18th 2008, 2:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Herts Hopeful
We were told to use the green needles to craw up and the blue needles to inject.

Same as me!

My bum's a bit sore too but if it helps then I'll happily keep going! I put a hot water bottle under my bum after the injection and it takes the sting out! Also apparently sitting on frozen peas is a good tip (not tried it myself - too cold!).

x

Wednesday, March 19th 2008, 9:02am

Hi Jodie & Petra

Well I am now using the green needles, I can feel them more then the blue ones, but its not so bad, maybe i'll reply again after I have been on them for a few more days lmao I'm liking the sitting on a hot water bottle afterwards!!!

xxx

kar1

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 2:33pm

lets talk gestone

i will be using this for the first time this cycle and need to inject for 5 days before blastocyst transfer so even if we don;t make transfer i will have to do 5 jabs lol

ok how did you find it?

did you warm the oil?

did you ice your butt?

did you jab yourself as i will be?

did you pinch the skin or not?

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 3:05pm

I had one injection on my last tx and the nurse did it in my thigh.

She prepared me for how much it was going to hurt and I was gripping Dh's hand and when she did it I didn't even realise :smile:

They never as bad as you think

If you don't mind me asking why are you having them?

kar1

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 3:12pm

im not really worried about it hurting, im hard lol

im having gestone for progestrone support just because we haven't tried it and we are trying anything that might help it work. A changed to a cycle can be good and i certainly am willing to try anything

ever elephant pee is that was known to help :P

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 3:24pm

i know what you mean about trying anything.

I have ordered a progesterone cream and my clinic said I don;t need pessaries but I told them I am having them to give extra support

It can't hurt anyway.x

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 4:03pm

DH jabbed it in my bum. First one was sore, rest fine.
No iced butt and no warmed oil.

We grabbed flab and jabbed

Are you doing 50 or 100?

Reg: Jun 15th 2007

Children: Soon I hope

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 4:21pm

Hi Kara, i had gestone for the first time with last ivf. DH did it as i prefered it in my bum rather than thigh. From what i can remember i think he warmed it up briefly in his hands and then just jabbed it without grabbing any skin. It stung a little but not painful.

I prefrered this to cyclogest as there's no mess, it was only once a day and lasted seconds and i felt it was giving me more progesterone support (this could have been my imagination!!)

kar1

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 4:27pm

i will be doing 50 a day and jabbing my own butt :D

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Thursday, June 19th 2008, 10:10pm

Kara I have heard the thing about elephant pee too. Apparently it is collected from lady elephants at their fertile time, which is about once every 2 years. Can you imagine standing under a gert big elephant waiting for her to pee in your cup!! :P

kar1

Saturday, June 21st 2008, 2:33pm

i should be starting the gestone next week and i am hoping to do a video of it whe i can figure out how to use my vid cam as im not sure i wana do this one infront on a male mate

Pootle

Megastar

Saturday, June 21st 2008, 11:57pm

RE: lets talk gestone

Quoted

Originally posted by kar1
i will be using this for the first time this cycle and need to inject for 5 days before blastocyst transfer so even if we don;t make transfer i will have to do 5 jabs lol

ok how did you find it? Ok really - no worse than any other jab

did you warm the oil? Yes, just in my hands for 10 mins before jabbing

did you ice your butt? No! Sat on a hot water bottle afterwards though - helped ease the sting a little!

did you jab yourself as i will be? No, DH did it.

did you pinch the skin or not? No, he just jabbed the needle straight in!

Hope that helps! Good luck.

x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Pootle" (Jun 21st 2008, 11:58pm)

Torisen

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 7:48am

The 50s are quite small, they are easier if you relaxe so I would get someone to jab your butt or to do your thigh yourself.
You might get like a muscle ache (from exercise) afterwards but this will dissappear.
Just go slowly when you inject it.
Mine leaked afterwards too.

kar1

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 12:30pm

so pretty much the same as the other jabs?

i never jab quick and always stop and start when it stings

Reg: Jul 21st 2007

Children: Baby boy Brennan...born 23rd April 09

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 8:25pm

If i can use my thigh for gestone i think i will be fine as this is where i did it for ivf jabs...i always go slow too...much better than jabbing...i cant stab myself quickly !!!! :snigger:

kar1

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 8:40pm

Quoted

Originally posted by MELISSA
...i cant stab myself quickly !!!! :snigger:

pmsl, im gona try both butt and thigh

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 11:11pm

I have to rest needle on skin and then push til it goes in !!!! Tried to stab quickly but stop before i get there...natural reaction to want to stop i say !!!! :snigger: :snigger: :snigger:

Monday, June 23rd 2008, 9:44am

Just wrote a long post and it got deleted!

We used Gestone in our last FET cycle - which was successful. I was on for about 8 weeks in the end - which was a bit of a pain (both literally and figuratively), but totally worth if for the outcome.

We tried warming and ice and pinching the skin, but found it made little difference to the experience, so we gave it all up in the end and just went for it.

We did a lot of dodging round of injection sites - butt and thigh - as i found that the bruises started to come up, and that I got quite hard lumps in the muscle (normal so the nurse said), so we had to move around to dodge these.

We did not jab, but went for a relatively swift and firm needle-in technique.

We often had a bit of leakage after pulling the needle out, and sometimes some blood if the needle nicked a little blood vessel, but nothing to worry about.

My only other bit of advice is to shop around on price - if you are going to be paying for it yourselves. My clinic were charging £20 per dose, and in the end I got it for £10 at my local pharmacy! Half price. I also looked at Sainsbury, tesco and boots pharmacies, but my local one was the cheapest and was able to get it in for the next day.

Wishing you loads of luck, and really hope that this change in protocol does the trick, as it did for us.

kar1

Monday, June 23rd 2008, 10:24pm

wow thanks hun

i found gestone the cheapest at ferring at home 50mg for £5.18 i am very lucky and my gp has prescribe the gestone for me

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 3:20pm

I think we had 100mg per day so sounds about the same. But great if the GP is prescribing it for you.

I'm keeping everything crossed for your scan on Friday. xfingers

kar1

Saturday, June 28th 2008, 11:42am

i have a confession

i am not getting worried about the gestone jabs, more cause i scared of hitting the sactic nerve.......its stressing me out a bit it all honesty

Pootle

Megastar

Saturday, June 28th 2008, 7:44pm

That's what worried me too! Paul was doing mine and was under STRICT instructions! But one night I think he got too close - don't think he hit it but maybe too near it as I had an awful pain in my spine - so bad it made me want to cry and I'm not really a cry baby. Worse part was he had to take it out and finish the injection in the other side!

x

kar1

Saturday, June 28th 2008, 8:17pm

i found a good tip earlier

inject where you thumb is when you put your hands on your hips

Saturday, June 28th 2008, 8:57pm

God that feels really hard in that area??!! Just felt it,its high up then? x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MELISSA" (Jun 28th 2008, 8:57pm)

kar1

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 12:35am

i did it

no pain and i used the z technic

will post a link about that tomorrow

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 3:01pm

Gestone

I had a nightmare with gestone - had it for 16 weeks - bum no areas that were not bruised - bruising stayed for months after but was on high dosage - also have now a baby boy so ...............

kar1

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 1:15pm

just thought i would update this thread after inject gestone for over a week

i have no lumps or bumps and only one tiny bruise

no pain on injecting and find it so much better than the cylocgest, i will 100% never use cyclogest again

i didn't numb area nothing just put the vial of gestone in my bra for 15 to 30mins before injecting, i injected myself while lieing down

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Sunday, August 31st 2008, 8:34pm

Gestone and weight gain

I have weighed myself today and found that I have gained 1 stone and 3 pounds. Now I know that this is not normal at 7 weeks by any stretch of the imagination and I am quite concerned. I am eating healthily, more fruit and veg than normal, not eating any more calories than I normally do. The only thing I can put it down to is the Gestone. Has anyone else experienced this? I read the leaflet that goes with it just now and it says excessive weight gain should be reported to the doctor, so I am gonna call the clinic tomorrow and see what they say. Can anyone else shed light on this? I know the progesterone pill causes a bit of weight gain, but I certainly haven't gained anything like this when I've been on the pill.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Torisen

Monday, September 1st 2008, 9:47am

If you are sure that you are not snacking more on high calorie stuff then it could be as simple as fluid retention.
I don't think that the actual progesterone increases your weight but your appetite.

I would get it checked up though. I didn't gain any weight on the gestrone jabs.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Monday, September 1st 2008, 11:18am

I have gained weight too, but didn't think of the gestone but perhaps your right!

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Monday, September 1st 2008, 1:43pm

It just seems a ridiculous amount to have put on already. I am definitely not snacking on calories though. In the early days I probably ate more, but not over a stone's worth, I would need to be seriously putting away the grub for that! I'm not even eating between meals, so I just don't get it. Ah well, not as if I can go on a diet now eh. I am just gonna have to relax a bit and go with the flow me thinks.
I have 4 lovely big kids

Pootle

Megastar

Monday, September 1st 2008, 2:36pm

Hi, I didn't put on weight on gestone. x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Torisen

Monday, September 1st 2008, 3:38pm

smiff, are you taking any exercise or taking it easier now when you are PG?
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Monday, September 1st 2008, 5:21pm

Still doing the same as ever. Running round like a blue arsed fly with the kids and dogs! No time for sitting in this house!
I have 4 lovely big kids

Reg: Jul 26th 2007

Children: Yes please!

Saturday, October 4th 2008, 12:38pm

Gestone injections

Hello girls-
For my next icsi cycle I have been prescribed Gestone injections whilst on my 2ww as opposed to the cyclogest supositres. Any one else familiar with it?
xx

Indiechick

Superstar

Saturday, October 4th 2008, 3:44pm

Hello there!

I swear by Gestone and am sure that it resulted in my BFP. The injections are with pretty big needles but you soon get used to them, they are for the top outter corner of your bum cheek. It's a good Idea to warm up the bottle in your bra for half an hour before hand as the liquid is like an oil and this makes it easier to inject. Some ladies get there partners or friends to do the injections but there are a few of us on here Me, Kara and I think Mrs Smiff who have done them ourselves.
Kara has done a fab video which should help . . . . I'm off to find it, for you!

x

Indiechick

Superstar

Saturday, October 4th 2008, 5:54pm

After a lot of searching and help from the lovely Polly Pocket here it is....

kara's injecting vids...may 07 and gestone july 08

Pootle

Megastar

Saturday, October 4th 2008, 6:26pm

Hi, I had gestone too. DEFINITELY helped warming the oil! I wasn't brave enough to do them myself though!

x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE