You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sar26

• "Sar26" started this thread

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:07am

Next Step - IUI

Hi - I am new to this site.

Let me tell you a bit about me. I experienced a miscarriage in 03 after falling pregnant immediately. Been trying now for two years with no success, diagnosed with PCOS 18 months ago and had various tests but I am 'unexplained'. Referral letter has been sent I am now awaiting my first appointment to start the whole IUI process. Was quite positive about it a few days ago but now getting more worried as I am finding out more. I don't really know what it involves and am just awaiting all the information to drop through my letter box.

I am hoping that talking to you girls will help ease my worries.

Hello to you all x x x x

• "Tabithasecret" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:13am

Hi Sar. Good to see you on the IUI section

It can be a very nerve wracking time, when you've had your letter issued and you're just waiting. Once you've had some info through and a date you'll begin to feel a little brighter.

Like I said earlier - any Q's just shout. IUI itself is a pretty simple procedure, not very painfull (may give dull tummy ache after), but you can take various drugs to begin with. Most of us on here are on slightly different protocols, so you're bound to find someone on the same drug as you :D

Lisa
x

Sar26

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:25am

It has been recommended that I take some pills (not injections luckily) to assist but no idea what they will be yet. Was taking Clomid for three months last year but no success.

I am sure I will have numerous questions as the process go on.

How do you all juggle IUI and work? It sounds like quite a lot of time off will be needed for scans etc.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:31am

Work have been fantastic with my time off. I've so far had 5 and a half hours in total for my treatment. They have just said I can either take it as leave or work the overtime over a period of time!

Sar26

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:34am

I hope my boss is as understanding as yours.

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:36am

It can be a little awkward with work. Is your clinic near your work ?

Because IUI is all about the timing, it is quite possible you'll have to go in every other day for maybe a week to check whats developing.

The scans themselves are very quick and the results are immediately seen, it's just the waiting for the Dr/nurse that takes the time!

If it's pills they're suggesting with IUI - perhaps they are planning to keep you on clomid whilst they do it?
How many attempts do you have on the NHS?

Lisa

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:36am

I don't think they should be harsh about it - it's an important stage in your life and they shouldn't scupper it for you.

Could you have a word with Personnel?

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:37am

They like you to have a clear month off clomid before they can start the IUI treatment.....

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:45am

Don't most companies allow you time away from your desk for Dr's appointments? I'm sure you don't have to go into much detail about what its for.

I'd always recommend having a whole day off for the insemination tho.
It's nice to not worry about leaving work & getting there on time, you can take your time in the morning, then relax for the rest of the day.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:48am

Does the insemination process hurt then? I guess it would be pretty uncomfortable. Does the whole process take long?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheZooKeeper" (Oct 12th 2005, 11:48am)

Sar26

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:50am

No attempts on NHS. THis is the very first attempt. Been off the Clomid for a while now so no problem there. Clinic is a tube ride away from work so that should help. I have started to do a bit of overtime to butter up my boss for when it all starts.

Might speak to personnel as suggested to see if they have a policy or guidelines on this sort of thing - surely I can't be the first!

Thanks for all the help to both of you - I am a bit of a worrier!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 11:58am

Nah, not at all. It's all a tad daunting isn't it? [zx081]

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:01pm

Thats a good idea to go to personnel. As you say, you can't be the first!

The insem itself is a very quick procedure. They use a catheter with a very fine tube on the end. Once they open your cervix they place this inside & inject the spermies up into your uterus.

The actual process shouldn't hurt too much. I had a little pain as my cervical tunnel (thingy!) is slightly bent towards the left so the catheter wasn't going in smoothly, but once it was bent too, it went in very quickly.

Because the procedure is like a smear test, you may get tummy aches after like you do with that.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:04pm

Thanks for that Tab. I have a slightly sensitive stomach (and womens bits!) so it might be wise for me to have the day off. I might just see how I go and if it hurts go home straight after.

I'll be a bag of nerves when it's my time! [zx236]

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:05pm

Will your DH or DP go along with you ? It's nice to not have to drive yourself after.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:07pm

sorry - is this for me or Sar?

I'll end up driving unless dh gets the time off work - he'll have to come in with me anyway!! I'll make him!!!!!!! [zx139]

Flossy

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:10pm

Both times I had IUI DH came with me. It is a must!!! As he put it, he wanted to be there for the conception :P I wouldn't recommend driving afterwards.

Me 35 DH 32
TTC 7 years
Low Motility and count
2 x failed IUI
ICSI Oct/Nov - BFN

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by JennyS
sorry - is this for me or Sar?

I'll end up driving unless dh gets the time off work - he'll have to come in with me anyway!! I'll make him!!!!!!! [zx139]

Sorry Jen! it was for you, but can be for Sar too !!!

depending on the time of the IUI, DH will have to go in 1st thing in the morning to provide a sample, then its washed etc and you may be called back about 2+ hours later.

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:14pm

Flossy - it is a very weird thing isn't it... techically it's possible that our DH's may not be there for the conception

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:19pm

Really? We were told to take the sample in within the hour, it'd be washed then we'd have it done. It's all a bit vague at the moment really. I'll bear that in mind then. It'd be nice to lie down at home and cherish the moment!!!

What a nice thought Flossy - your DH saying he'd like to be there for the conception. Made me go all goosebumpy!

I have to say I'd be all embarrassed if my dh was there during the insemination!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheZooKeeper" (Oct 12th 2005, 12:19pm)

Flossy

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:27pm

After all I've been through, you get used to leaving your dignity at the door. I didn't mind one bit him being there, I wanted him to be there too - someone to hold my hand [zx016]

When we had IUI, DH went in morning to deliver the goods and I didn't actually go in to have it done until 5pm.

Like Tab said, it isn't painful, just a little uncomfortable afterwards. The first time they had trouble getting the catheter through and I felt like I was going to wet myself. I managed not to disgrace myself!!

Me 35 DH 32
TTC 7 years
Low Motility and count
2 x failed IUI
ICSI Oct/Nov - BFN

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 12:59pm

Still don't know whether I'd like him to be there at the actual insemination - defo for when I'm lying there waiting. You would have thought with all the prodding and internals I've had over the past year or 5 wouldn't have made any difference. My dh might be 'too' interested in what they are doing down there!!!!! [zx059]

Sar26

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:01pm

I will have the boyf with me (work depending). Really don't want to go on my own as will have to get the train home afterwards.

Although he would rather things have happended naturally I think he is actaully excited about being there for the 'conception'. He loves all that sort of stuff. Good thing really - could go through all with someone who is squeamish!!!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:03pm

It's quite exciting, although scary isn't it? I won't be able to relax.

Sar26

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:07pm

I'll be perfectly calm and relaxed when having the treatments etc - I think I have learnt to deal with that. I just worry and get stressed at ALL other times. Like now, I know that I only have to wait a week or two before I get details of my first appointment and I am having trouble sleeping. Once the process starts I think I will calm down.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:10pm

I wish I was like you! I'm so anxious about the whole process and wishing my parenting dream will come true I'll be a bag of nerves! I'm not sure if that's gonna help with the conception!

Sar26

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:16pm

Just try and stay calm and you'll be fine. Try and think about the miracle that could be happening whilst you are having that treatment. I always take a book (not a magazine) to the hospitals so I can get distracted and lost in another story. Will keep your mind off things and give you something else to think about.

If you are nervous - deep breaths in through the nose and out through ther mouth.

Good luck x

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:19pm

I've always been a nervy person - I think it's more of a mild anxiety attack! When I've been waiting for something for a very long time and the moment is here and panic strikes!

Sar26

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:24pm

Fully understand - I occasionally suffer from panic attacks in overcrowded places and once it starts it is difficult to control.

The breathing always helps me and it calms the body down. I am sure you will be fine. I will keep everything crossed for you.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:27pm

Thanks hun, I'll probably want to go out and get very drunk to calm myself down! I've promised myself I won't touch the stuff during the 2ww.

Sar26

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:41pm

I'm the same. I replace alcohol with chocolate and ice cream!

Gonna have to log off now as I have to go to a meeting but I will be thinking of you.

Take care x x

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:42pm

and you, will post an update tomorrow.

xx

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:55pm

Quoted

Originally posted by JennyS
Really? We were told to take the sample in within the hour, it'd be washed then we'd have it done. It's all a bit vague at the moment really.

Sorry i wasn't very clear.

You do have to get the sample to the clinic within the hour of producing it - so you may need to get it to them at 8.30 in the morning. Then, they may take 1 or 2 hours to wash and process the sperm. So you both go away (do some shopping !) then return a little later (say, 12noon) for the insemination.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 1:59pm

ah, ok, might be a problem for my DH. He drives for a local bus company so would have to be back at a certain time. Although even they are very good with our appointments and I'm sure we can work round it.

As long as we're not expected to go back about 5 hours later!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 2:02pm

It shouldn't be too long.

For each of my IUI's we had to get the sample to the clinic at 8.30. Then the 1st IUI was scheduled for 12o'clock noon. For the 2nd one I would have been asked back for the insem at 1.15.

If DH can't go back with you for the insem at lunch time, can you ask someone else to come with you ?

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 12th 2005, 2:20pm

I think I'll wait and see what they say. I'm sure his company will make some allowances for him. He might even stretch to taking unpaid leave for it! [zx018]

Rufus

Star

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Thursday, October 13th 2005, 8:31pm

My dh didn't come for the scans or anything - but I'm glad he was there for the insem. At least we could make small talk while all that carry on was happening!!! Lol Lesa oxox
Keep smiling :happy:

• "moomin05" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, October 13th 2005, 9:07pm

We are just starting our first cycle of IUI and DH has been with me for every single appointment and scan, he has been fab. He says that he would not miss it for the world, as he feels that he is doing his bit to help being there.

Also would not miss the actual basting as he would feel like he was missing out. Our consultant is very discreet when doing the scans so DH or myself never feel embarrassed at any time, my dignity is left outside the hospital doors and I pick it up again on the way out!

JennyS and Sar26 good luck with your TX.

Sar26

Friday, October 14th 2005, 10:16am

Thank you. I think I lost my diginity a few years ago when all this started. I look at it as preperation for the actual birth - can't think of anything dignified about that at all! My Boyf is a great support and I know I am very lucky but I am pleasantly surprised about the amount of support we are all getting from our men.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Friday, October 14th 2005, 3:21pm

I would feel a bit embarrassed if my dh was there during the scan. Ridiculous I know seeing as we've been together 14 years!!

• "moomin05" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, October 14th 2005, 6:23pm

But my DH can't see anything, only what is on the screen, as my bottom half is covered by a sheet, which is why it does not bother me or him

Sar26

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 9:26am

FIRST IUI

Had my first consultation at the fertility clinic yesterday. We having IUI with 100mg of Clomid. Agreed that we would try this for 1-2 cycles then perhaps go onto something stronger.

Having treatment privately and just paid £400 for some blood tests! Think we'll be eating turkey soup on Christmas day!!!

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 9:28am

Sar

Good luck with your treatment x
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I have 2 beautiful boys 8 & 6, and one beautiful girl
1st ICSI - 15 eggs - Oct 05 - BFN
2nd ICSI - 22 eggs - egg sharer -Feb 2006 - BFN
I'm a single parent.

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 9:31am

Hi Sar

Glad you've got the ball rolling! good luck with it all

when do you think you'll be able to start?

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 9:43am

hiya Sar

best of luck for your tx. hope it all goes smoothly :)
can you get tinned turkey soup? I might need some this year - just sent off an internet payment for £2,175 for IVF. that's not including the cost of the drugs!

love Flori xx

I will be a Mum!
TTC a few years.
12 months Clomid - BFN! Getting acupuncture/reflexology. Hypothyroid.
First IVF - put on hold Jan. 2006 due to thyroid problem
Young at heart 40 year old! [zx078]

Bon

• "Bon" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 9:51am

Good luck with your treatment Sar hope it all goes well xxxx

Sar26

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 11:32am

Period due in just over a week so the whole process should be starting very soon.

Can't believe how expensive the whole thing is. The treatment itself is not too bad but it is all the added extras. My doctor wants £22.50 for a form that the clinic have asked him to sign to say that we are suitable to be parents! And there is a form for me and one for my partner - why do we pay taxes??? I plan on getting those forms in my hand and walking out!!

Thank you for all your good luck wishes

Sar26

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 11:33am

PS Flori - the very best of luck with the IVF. I really hope all goes well x x

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 11:37am

What ??? Your GP is asking for money for that??? No way should you be paying for him just signing his name on it. Thats disgusting, you're trying to start a family - privately so no strain on the bl00dy NHS anyway and he wants to get some money out of you? Good God.

You walk out sweetie!!!!

Sar26

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 11:40am

My thoughts exactly! I couldn't believe it. I didn't argue when the receptionist told me as without the forms I can't start the treatment but I will certainly make some noise once I have that signature!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE