You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "alaskadas" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "alaskadas" started this thread

Reg: Feb 7th 2008

Children: No children

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 10:33am

Hysterosalpingogram and IVF...

Hi girls,
Im really confused...
When i did the test in the beginning of my 1st cycle, my doctor said that was not necessary to have the Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) done, because wouldnt affect my IVF treatment. She said even if the tubes would be blocked...
I was not very sure, but i just believed what she said.
I have read many things about failure IVF and i came across with these tubes issue.
Must i check the tubes or its not necessary for the IVf treatment. If so, i will assume the doctor wants to make money with me....
Thanks,
A.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 11:42am

wellll...... what other tests have been done?

where does she think the infertility problem is from?

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 12:09pm

Thanks Sunshine!
I did the blood test 1-5 day of my cycle, 21 day and the scan to see the ovaries. Thats all.
My husband did his semmen test.

The conclusion was that the shape of his sperms is not good. Just 3% are normal.
Relating to me was just the fact that im 35 years and the eggs are decreasing- which she said is normal to my age.
What do you think?
A.

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 12:45pm

I agree.

So basically what she is saying is that quite frankly if your tubes are blocked or if your tubes are not blocked she thinks the main reason you are not able to conceive together is because of your husband;s semen quality.

So.... you will have to go for IVF or more likely ICSI because of this.

The HSG can show whether your tubes are blocked or not (but not guaranteed) and it is not a particularly pleasant experience.

So..... I would to some extent agree with your consultant that you might as well not bother with the HSG. It saves time, money and unpleasantness.

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 5:07pm

Yes, we had IVf+ICSI... thanks for ayour answer - feel better about my doctor.
A.

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 5:11pm

if your tubes are blocked and had hydrosalpinx( fluid in tubes ) this fluid can be toxis to embryos

most cons advise removal or clipping before IVF, so yes it is important to get your tubes check
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Hope

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 2:35am

I've just been booked in for a HSG next week and I am a bit scared about it. Been having some pain down in my bladder area that the doc hasn't got to the bottom of yet and I am worried it'll really hurt because of this.

The gynae consultant that has reccomended me for the HSG was beyond useless so I don't trust him. After reading this I'm not sure if I need to have it done now. I know that the more stuff you can habe checked out the better but my stress levels are sky high and have to go for an examination, because of abnormal cells on my cervix showing up on my smear, next week too.

We have male factor infertility and my bloods have all come back fine.

So much to worry about! Sorry I can't be of any help but wish you the best of luck

xxx

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 10:12am

hope sorry to hear of your abnormal cells, are they treating this?
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 1:39pm

well, abnormal cells can also show up if you have a UTI (urinary tract infection) which is easily treatable with anti-biotics and can pass into the vagina as well, which might also explain the bladder pains.

now, as for clipping tubes, my DH had a great sperm sample, so I had an HSG, which did show blocked tubes. but..... mine were not clipped nor removed, and I am very grateful for that because I went on to have two natural pregnancies, and the blockage was found to be endometriosis some of which tore away during a post-ICSI miscarriage and obviously cleared things up. obviously if they had blocked or removed my tubes I would not have had children this way, and IVF/ICSI didnt work for us as my eggs didnt respond to the treatment.

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 5:51pm

The thing about blocked tubes is that it depends on how badly damaged the tubes are or whether they are even damaged. Sometimes it can be blocked but it can be drained and the tubes saved and you can have a normal pregnancy.

My consultant said a rule of thumb is that if the blocked tubes can be seen on ultrasound, they are large and lumpy then the chances are the tubes are damaged.

I had mine removed and they were really damaged - am convalescing at the moment and will see the consultant on 28th to find out when I can start IVF.

Good luck with your tubes and the abnormal cells.

First Scan Date: 22 May 08

Second Scan: 10 June 08

Hope

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 3:04am

Oh gawd sounds like I am just going to have to pain killer myself up and go for it. I never used to be such a scaredy cat!

They have to asses how abnormal the cells are which is what the magnifying glass investigation thingy will do next week. Most people just have to have more regular smears to make sure it doesn't change into something more serious. Been told it's very rare for it to turn serious so trying not to worry too much. Think they are just being cautious.

Been tested for a uti 3 times in past month and waiting for 4th test to come back but my smear was done at same time as my baldder problems started so interesting to know about that. Thanks.

Good luck to you all xxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hope" (Feb 23rd 2008, 3:05am)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE