You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Duffymoon

Megastar

• "Duffymoon" started this thread

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, February 4th 2008, 7:24pm

Gonal-F -v- Menopur

Wasn't really sure what to call this thread .....

I was on Gonal-F last cycle. I LOVED lurve the pen...dead easy to use. click click click...done.

This time I'm using Menopur because of quality issues with eggs which apparently Menopur (yet to be proven of course) is thought to improve.....

How can I put it.....me and Menopur will never be the best of friends :no:

Some people love all the fiddly stuff.....but I find it stressful!!

Tonight.....on putting the syringe into the second amp.....there was no vacuum....no suction whatsoever. Really confused as to what to do. I've assumed that no vacuum means that air must have gotten in to it and was worried this would affect it somehow....I mean they don't make it airless to help with the syringe bit cos that makes it fookin difficult!!!

Just wondered if this had happened to anyone else??

So I scrapped it and started again with 2 new amps, new syringe, water everything. Then on the next one, broke the water bottle....sucked it up and just realised in the nick of time I can't have flicked the water out of the top of the bottle and only had half a syringe full...so yet again....had to start again :hairout

I'm stressing about injecting a good couple of hours before the deed because I don't feel confident and today's attempts are not helping!!!

Does anyone have any useful tips re the Menopur - I did go through it again with the nurse today but they don't use vacuum ones for teaching you which is half my problem......:tear:

xxx

p.s....re Gonal-F...my nurse told me today that Gonal F manufacturers are looking at adding LH to Gonal F....this is the main difference between it and Menopur. It would of course mean that that is going to require mixing as well in the future.

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Reg: Oct 2nd 2007

Monday, February 4th 2008, 7:28pm

RE: Gonal-F -v- Menopur

Hello Duffy

I'm sorry to see you're having problems, and am afraid I cant offer practical help as I'm not yet at the same stage.

But you should go back to the nurse and maybe get them to help you 'live' with the real deal if its causing you this much distress??? Would you be able to do that?

Cathie

xx
Cathie

Proud mum to Eric after 3 years TCC!!!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, February 4th 2008, 7:32pm

I doubt it hon...I think once a needle has gone in and out the vacuum is lost and that would mean they'd need hundreds of the little things to demonstrate to patients.

I know I've just got to get on with it....but feel :tired: tonight and a bit under the weather bigcloud so it really didn't help having to make decisions!!!

:thanx: though Cathie :hugs:

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN

Reg: Oct 2nd 2007

Monday, February 4th 2008, 7:43pm

Hey DM

Is a bummer when youre down in the dumps and cant even have a G&T isnt it??? Well i guess you should just get DH to give you a nice back rub, then have a lovely bubbly shower or bath and some choccies, just to help???

Hope it goes better for you tomorrow babes

Cathie

xx
Cathie

Proud mum to Eric after 3 years TCC!!!

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, February 4th 2008, 7:47pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAzfYTCDfL0

down reg and stimms vid

you really need to try and stop stressing as i think this what is making it worst hun, if i lived closer i would come and mix um for you, as for smashing the water, i do that sometimes

the secret is be gentle but firm
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Reg: Aug 3rd 2007

Monday, February 4th 2008, 7:51pm

Hiya Duffy,

Sorry you're stressed...!!!! I didn't really have any problems with the Menopur I would just say try to put the needle right in the middle of the bottle as I found it easier to penetrate, if I hit the side it would then stick a bit and I had to force it through.

Not really any help sorry but I would just advise to give yourself time to mix them up at your own pace and then you're not racing against the clock to do them at the same time each night. I found it less stressful if I got everything laid out on a table ready to start whilst listening to the T.V. and then did all the mixing and then did the injections at the end, (I had 2 to do) felt much calmer and knew that I had to start mixing when Emmerdale started.

Good luck :smile:
Lizzy

:xxx3:

kar1

Monday, February 4th 2008, 7:54pm

fab tip lizzy

duffy if it helps have you thought of putting popping the top first with a separate needle, so the suction isnt a problem
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, February 4th 2008, 8:02pm

....i thought there might be a youtube vid heading my way! I obviously can do it (since my follies are growing!)....but I hate it when things go wrong and I don't know what to do....bless you for offering to come round!

Lizzy Lou - you sound like you did it in a very calm way! and I do get it all out.....tops off, needles, syringes, chocolate :snigger: lined up etc.....I just wish it was easier and quicker!

Let's hope I stay on jus 3 amps!

I'm having a pathetic day and it's the first time on this tx so not done too badly!

:thanx: girls

xxxx

p.s. Kar.....sounds like a good idea! I'll check with the clinic but don't see why not!! :hugs:

4 x ICSI BFN

kar1

Monday, February 4th 2008, 8:05pm

i can't see why it would matter if you popped them first and hey if it saves the stress

im gona try it tomorrow night just to see :D

a day of flapping all round, im flapping over smear !!!!

you can and are doing well hunni....stay strong
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

Miss Ed

Reg: Jan 28th 2008

Monday, February 4th 2008, 8:28pm

hey duffy, don't get stressed with the menopur amps everything takes a bit of time to get used to.

i found a few good tips over the weeks i used it - and like lizzy lou i used to lay everything out on the table, then mix them all up and then inject at the end.

in terms of getting no vaccuum to get the water up into the syringe, i found if this happened, push all the liquid back into the amp, keep the syringe top held down so no air can get in then tilt the amp so all the water is on an angle then put the needle under the water (all still holding syringe down) and when you let go of the syringe it starts to fill itself.

with the water - make sure you have your thumb square on the blue dot and crack it open like you're taking the top of a nice cole bottle of beer - you tend to get a nice clean break. if you have water in the top, simply syringe that out and then syringe the bottom out.... that's what i did and everything went fine.
me 33 :heart: dp 27
TTC since May 2006
Male factor infertility
Ist IVF/ICSI January 2008 - :BFN:
2nd ICSI April 2008 :BFP:- lost at 5 weeks :bawl:
3rd ICSI September 2008 - :BFN:

Jan 09 - wowser - natural :BFP: :weehee:

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 7:22am

aaaaaaaaawwwwwww poor duffy :hugs:

I have absolutely no advice for you of any value whatsoever (just thought I'd sympathize) as my DP does all mine (so I think you're all brill for doing your own) as I would freak just seeing the needle but I know he struggled the first 2 days but now seems to be doing it like a pro!

I'm sure tonight's will be :thumbsup2:

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 12:31pm

Hi Hun, i had a little tube thing that i stuck on top of the water so it was easier to break maybe your clinic can give you some? i also used to lay everything out, get the needles out of the packets before i started, but then i did do my jabs in the morning 7AM :cross: and was still half asleep maybe thats why i didn't have a prob :snigger: stupid stupid question but you have got different needles for drawing up and jabbin? sorry if thats a bit :duh:
xx xx

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Duffymoon

Megastar

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 1:54pm

Hi people.....thanks so much for all your advice :hugs:

Sammysue.....I should bloody hope I have different needles....those green ones are like knitting needles....NO WAY would I inject with that thing :vamp1:

The needles are the same for buserelin and menopur once I've mixed (brown).

Swellhill - I didn't so much mind that there was no vacuum (would actually prefer it!) but was worried because if it wasn't "airless" then maybe the drug could be compromised....a silly worry no doubt but thought it best to start again...

Just to say....I don't think I'm at all brave and I don't think I mind jabbing.....but I just don't like it when things go wrong when I'm already feeling frazzled!!

So.....tonight I shall put on some relaxing music....get it all out on a tray....tissues at the ready for that emergency gush of blood! (eww) and hopefully xfingers not have any more dramas!!!

One more week to go then THAT'S IT....so I guess I'll cope!!

:thanx: everyone - you're all starsmile starsmile starsmile

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 3:20pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Duffymoon
re Gonal-F...my nurse told me today that Gonal F manufacturers are looking at adding LH to Gonal F....this is the main difference between it and Menopur.

That's interesting. I've always needed LH because of my abnormal hormonal profile. The first two cycles I had was with Menogon which didn't just need mixing up but stabbing in the buttock muscles (kind DH did the deed!) and it contains FSH and LH. In my 3rd cycle (different clinic), I was given Gonal-F and had that on its own for 5 or 6 days, then had to do a second injection each day of something called Luveris as well as the Gonal-F up to EC. It would be tidy to have a Gonal-F kind of pen with both in, but I don't remember adding Luveris in for those few days being difficult and the pen was great for the FSH.

Duffymoon

Megastar

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 3:36pm

Hi Limpet.....if they do make it with LH....it'll be :bye: :bye: nice tidy pen....and :hello: to mixing faffing fiddly stuff....grrrr

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN

Reg: Feb 11th 2008

Children: The Lister

Saturday, October 25th 2008, 5:58pm

Gonal F Vs Menopur

Hi. I've had 1 IVF and 1 GIFT on long protocol and using Menopur. I'm just about to start another IVF and the hospital (at a new one) has put me on a short protocol but with Gonal F instead of Menopur. I have reserached the costs and Gonal F is over £1000 more expensive than Menopur.

Is anyone able to provide advice on the difference between the 2? Anyone have any experience of the both or why I might have been moved onto another one?

Also, is it a good idea to get prescription on-line as it works out cheaper? I've found a web-site called Chemist Direct.

Thanks xx

:xxx3:

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 GIFT - BFN
ED Nov 09, April 10 - BFP but early loss
ED July 10 - :BFP:

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Saturday, October 25th 2008, 6:01pm

I can't help with the actual drugs, but I got mine from Fazeley Pharmacy which deliver anywhere - they were the cheapest I could find both times.. You call them up, they give you a quote and will deliver the next day..
ICSI number 5 - BFP!! :boy: :girl: arrived December 2010

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 25th 2008, 6:02pm

RE: Gonal F Vs Menopur

Quoted

Originally posted by curly girl
Also, is it a good idea to get prescription on-line as it works out cheaper? I've found a web-site called Chemist Direct.

Thanks xx

This thread will help INFO: CHEAPER IVF DRUGS

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Sunday, October 26th 2008, 8:43am

RE: Gonal F Vs Menopur

I know nothing about IVF drugs but you might want to have a look through the Fertility Drugs section to see if there's any info on there.
For instance I found this thread:

Menopur - Failure to respond to first ivf

Unfortunately search isn't working at the moment but if you have a read through a few threads you might find something that will help you.

xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

MacMummy

Superstar

United Kingdom

Sunday, October 26th 2008, 10:44am

Hey Amanda,

I was told by my clinic that they found that Menopur gives better stims results than Gonal F in alot of cases.My understanding is that Gonal F is a lab made substance whilst menopur is made from wee!!
I always used Gonal F as the pens are fabulous and so easy to use, I got mine from Homecare(I think!)and the cost of all the meds minus the cetrotide was roughly £800.
Its a difficult call isn't it, I am thinking that I will do the opposite swop and use menopur next time but then you are left thinking.. what if gonal F would have worked better???
I am also thinking about a new drug called Pergoveris, this has given a good result in a poor responder, here is the link to the Herald newspaper story...

http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/displa…iled_at_ivf.php

Sorry if this confuses you even more!!

hugs, MM xx

:girl: :girl:

twin girls

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MacMummy" (Oct 26th 2008, 10:44am)

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Sunday, October 26th 2008, 2:35pm

Hello Amanda, I have also asked this question in the past and it seems that there is no concrete proof that one is better than the other.

MacMummy is right - Gonal F is a man made drug and Menopur is made from wee, so it is often said that Gonal F is a more 'pure' drug and some cons swear by this more than Menopur. If I was you I wouldn't worry which drug you're on - you clinic know best what to do. I've always had Gonal F and loved the simplicity of the pen. Best of luck with your tx x

p.s. Duffy is a fountain of knowledge on these drugs and once she is back from her hols I'm sure she'd be happy to give you full details.

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Sunday, October 26th 2008, 4:33pm

I did not respond well to Gonal-f at all and ended up taking Gonal-f but then having to have additional Menopur jabs...
It cost me the double in the end :(
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Reg: Jul 23rd 2008

Children: Fingers crossed

Wednesday, October 29th 2008, 4:32pm

menopur contains FSH which is extracted from purified urine of menopausal ladies and also contains a substantial amount of LH whereas gonal F is manufactured synthetically (from genetically modified hamster material, I think) and only contains FSH.

Some ladies respond better to a mixture of LH and FSH (e.g., menopur) whereas some respond better to pure FSH (because its FSH that does the stimulation but LH can help a bit with maturation)- some studies have shown a better percentage result with menopur whereas others have shown a better result with gonal F, so its likely to be down to individual variation - we all respond differently.

If you respond poorly on the combination its worth switching to pure and vice versa to see if you can get an improvement but in general each doctor will tend to go with the one that he is most familiar with and if that doesn't work, then try switching for the next cycle.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE