You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

lgm

Unregistered

Friday, December 21st 2007, 8:40am

What to do?

I'm pretty devastated at the moment as is my wife, as we have been checking ourselves out due to us planning to have a baby in the next year or so.

My dual sperm test results came back first and have stated I have a major infertility problem.

My sperm count is at 9.22 (<20)

Healthy Sperm is 7.54 (<30)

and mobile sperm a + b is at 2.36 (<50)

Now I saw 2 doctors, one was positive the other only showed doom and gloom.

The second doctor stated that with a change of lifestyle and other things related to more healthy living that the situation could improve considerably (but most probably not to normality) within 5 years.

I was a heavy smoker until around 1 month ago, when I quit due to us planning for a child within the next year r so. I also suffered a serious liver infection around 1 and a half years ago when I was hospitalized for 1 month, this being due to heavy drinking over a number of years. I have not drank at all since that time. I did not exercise regularly if at all, and have only took up regular exercise since I quit smoking. I am wondering if these things are still effecting my sperm morphology?

The first doctor seemed to think that it could be a genetic problem, but I find that rather difficult to believe as I am from a large family, my parents are both from large families, and each of my brothers and sisters has at least 2 children.

I am obviously not going to give up and have already begun my changed lifestyle, planning healthy foods, vitamins, exercise, and plan to move to a less polluted environment. I would like to know if others have had a similar experience and if this is solvable (even in the long term)?

I am desperate not really for me, but for my wife, as she is from a culture where a baby is a necessity, obviously I know this is serious problem, and if it is not solvable, my wife will be in a very difficult situation regarding her family.

I have read that zinc intake may help (I have checked and have signs that I probably have a zinc deficiency). And also that daily intake of L-Carnitine may also help.

If anybody has ideas or advice I would be very grateful.

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Friday, December 21st 2007, 8:46am

hello and welcome, I don't really have any advice regarding improving sperm function but try searching through previous threads- you might find some help.

It does sound like you are doing all the right things and it does take time to show an improvement- three months I think.

Also, as long as you are producing sperm there are rpocedures such as icsi which mean you have every chance of concieving a child.

Please do not despair- it sounds like you have overcome divdersity in the past and I hope this is no exception

veggie
x
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Friday, December 21st 2007, 10:18am

RE: What to do?

:hi: lgm

Welcome to :FZ:

It's always a shock to find out results that you weren't expecting and it does take a bit of time coming to terms with the fact that things won't improve instantly.

I don't know much about sperm analysis but there's a great thread here called Life in the Lab

http://fertilityzone.co.uk/thread.php?threadid=9969

.... I'm sure Sperm Scientist will be able to offer you advice on your sperm quality.

I'd definitely agree with you on the healthy lifestyle change. A history of heavy drinking and smoking will I'm sure be a cause of poor quality and it might take time for your body to mend the damage. Zinc is definitely good and sperm scientist has seen good improvements with a zinc supplement and from what I've read....300% rda is the way to go. My DH also takes a supplement which has loads of goodies in it and contains Selenium which is another goodie :yes:

You're definitely going in the right direction to improving your sperm quality but don't expect it to happen overnight.

As Vegemite said...the procedure ICSI is a possibility and it can be used for couples who have male factor issues. It's literally one sperm injected into the egg so the best quality sperm are chosen. Hopefully you won't have to go down that road as it would be your wife who'd have to have the drugs and procedures.

With the changes you've made, I really hope you get your dream naturally without intervention.
Just carry on with the healthy lifestyle and wait and see what the next sperm analysis shows. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised and will be able to enjoy trying for a family on your own!

The best of luck!

xxxxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 21st 2007

Children: 2

Friday, December 21st 2007, 11:23am

zinc is good, and selenium, vitamin c and e.

try and eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

don't take hot baths.

have acupuncture.

my DH has very, very low sperm count (lower than yours) due to chemo and total body radiation but we got BFP first time with ICSI recently. i have since miscarried but that is a different story......

good luck, and maybe invest in a good fertility book e.g. zita wests guide to pregnancy.

Icsi Oct 07 BFP 25th Nov - miscarried @ 7 weeks
Icsi April 08 BFP May 23rd
15th Jan 09 - Gave birth to 2 beautiful girls!

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Sunday, December 23rd 2007, 2:06pm

welcome to fz

its good you have changed your lifestyle for the better which will hopefully improve your sperm quality. Zinc is very good and acupuncture. try them for a while and see how it goes.

do keep us updated on your progress. all the best

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "victoria82" (Dec 23rd 2007, 2:07pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE