You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Friday, July 24th 2009, 8:07pm

Evening! I had GA for EC. It was all very quick and painless!

No idea what sedation is like but I think most ladies have it for EC and seem to be ok with it. I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to tell you about it!

Good luck.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

• "Moonshine" is 40 years old today

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Friday, July 24th 2009, 9:02pm

Hi Olivia,

There's a couple of previous threads that have discussed this that might be worth you having a look through:

EC - sedation vs general

Sedation or General for egg collection?

I guess it boils down to the preferred choice of the clinic, each has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages - but as long as your knocked out you'll be fine :snigger:

:xxx3:

Moonshine

Reg: Feb 24th 2009

Children: NURTURE

Friday, July 24th 2009, 10:17pm

thanks ladies..

moonshine.. that's true :snigger: thanks for the links, i'll take a look now.

x x

ICSI #1 Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ~~~ Two frosties waiting xfingers
ICSI #2 Aug/Sept 2009 - :BFP:!! :D
30/09/09 1 precious [zx076] seen

Reg: Oct 21st 2008

Friday, July 24th 2009, 11:10pm

I had sedation and was fine. I had a GA when I had my feet operated on and I must admit I came around in teh recovery room bawling my eyes out and had a pretty awful weekend after as I was all sleepy etc from the GA whereas with the sedation for EC I was fine after and had no bad side effects!!

Your choice I guess but i would always opt for sedation for the quicker recovery time!
1st ICSI -May 2009 BFN
2nd ICSI -Oct 2009 BFN
Took a break
3rd ICSI - Dec 2010 - BFP - Ruby born 13th September 2011

Lynsey

Reg: Dec 3rd 2008

Children: Adopted Son @ 10.5mths old Feb 2014 xx

What's Up?
FINALLY I am a MUMMY!!!!

Sunday, July 26th 2009, 9:05am

Hi I had a GA......I'd already opted for this as I really didn't want to know anything about it and in the past have come round from them fine. My clinic also said it was best that I had GA as there were so many eggs colleced. At my last scan before EC I had over 50 follies.

Anyway when I came round I think I was coughing and kind of recall telling the nurse I felt sick but as soon as I had a couple of drinks I was fine just very sore and tender but that was due to the over stimming which resulted in OHSS
LYNSEY xx

After x3 ICSI X2 FETs resulting in :BFN:s Apart from the last one being a faint :BFP: (only lasted a day or two) I was turned down as an egg donor so we called it a day with TX
WE ARE ADOPTING
APT Apr/May 13 HS June-Aug 13 PANEL Sept 13 YES!!
LINKED to 7mth old bab22 Oct 13
MATCHING PANEL JAN 14 YES. HOME with us 11th Feb 2014 (10.5mths old)
Finally I AM A MUMMY

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Monday, August 17th 2009, 8:26pm

Useful info if you are scared of the needle used for sedation / anaesthetic

I had a hysteroscopy (camera inside the uterus) under general anaesthetic on Friday. As always I made a big fuss about having the needle put in my hand. The doc said it was no problem and drifted me off to sleep using gas. It is what they usually do for children but don't normally bother for adults. First they gave me pure oxygen through the mask, then he said that he was putting laughing gas through, finally he said that I would start to get a funny smell and taste. I was laughing away telling him that it was foul so I was holding my breath and then I started to get a bit light headed and that was the last thing I knew until I woke up in recovery.

I knew they were going to have to put the needle in my hand when I was already asleep but I did a deal with the doc to have it removed before I woke up.

So I never saw a needle throughout the whole process and it was far less stressful that usual. I highly recommend it!
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Monday, August 17th 2009, 10:23pm

so glad they looked after you well hun x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

kimtia

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Hopefully one day.......

Tuesday, August 18th 2009, 10:24am

How thoughtful of your Doc, its so nice when they treat you so well xx

Reg: Jul 31st 2009

Children: J R Oxford

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 12:36pm

Sedation

Hi there
I am having my EC tomorrow and will be sedated.
Can anyone tell me how this works, in that are you completly out of it? Sleepy? How are you afterwards?

Thanks
H
Good luck on your journey!
Live strong; be happy
:rose:

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 12:40pm

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 12:50pm

Thank you for your very quick reply!
Hx
Live strong; be happy

Palegirl

Reg: Apr 21st 2009

Children: None

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 4:01pm

Good Luck hmcl, I too am having EC tomorrow morning, so very nervous but I will be thinking of you.
FET - 26th January 2010 = BFP !!!!!! 31st March 2010 11 week scan showed baby had died.

lisanad

Reg: Aug 17th 2009

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 6:51pm

Hi, I will also be having EC tomorrow morning....this is my first time so I am soooo nervous,
will b thnking of u both...
Lisa
x

United Kingdom

Sunday, August 23rd 2009, 6:59pm

I was terribly worried about the sedation but having done it twice now I can say that it really is nothing to worry about. For me the worst bit is when they put the needle in my arm but that this nothing more than having a blood test (which I also hate). When they start to put the drugs in I remember getting a very pleasent light headed feeling and I remember absolutely nothing after that until I woke up. I always come out of it really well and I am up and about within half an hour.

Good luck all of you having EC tomorrow.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

Tuesday, August 25th 2009, 6:11pm

You were so right Newlywed. It went well. Dont know why I got so nervous about it all.
Just feeling a bit achey today and wishing water tasted more exciting!
Palegirl & Lisa hope your EC went well.
Hx
Live strong; be happy

Reg: May 7th 2009

Children: Hopefully soon - but count one Tortoiseshell cat!

Tuesday, September 8th 2009, 3:24pm

Hi H, I was worried about sedation (had it twice now) and it really is OK. Just a needle in your arm like a blood test as said above, they inject the drugs into you, I felt like I had drunk 12 vodkas, so quite nice feeling! but i dont remember at any point actually going to sleep but later on I cant recall what happened, very weird but is all very OK! Hope everything went well for you xx
Nicky :xxx3:

1st IUI 21 August :BFN:
1st ICSI :BFN:
2nd IVF March 2010 :BFN:
3rd IVF June 2010 Failed Blastocyst :BFN:
4th IVF Alturistic Donor Eggs, :BFP:

Miscarriage 6 February 2011 at 10 weeks
Baby Billy my angel :tears:

Reg: Jul 10th 2008

Children: TTC number one

Wednesday, November 25th 2009, 9:33am

Sedation Questions

Can anyone tell me what the conscious sedation is like? ?( Do you wear your own night dress and slippers to the theatre (is it even a theatre?) or more of a room? Are you awake when they put the needle thingy in the back of your hand? Do you put your legs in stirrups before you drift off or do they do that once you’re under sedation :O?

Many thanks xx
Me 37 (low AMH) DH 40 (LSC)
TTC since Dec 2006
ICSI 1-Jan 2010 no response
ICSI 2-March 2011 (1 egg) BFN
ICSI 3 DE -Currently on 2WW test 24/3/12

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Wednesday, November 25th 2009, 11:32am

Hi Angel-mouse

I expect different clinics do it a bit differently. But here is what happened to me.

I had a canula put into my vein at the elbow. Then I was asked to go for a wee, just before being taken into the room (it was more of a room than a theatre). Then I stripped my bottom half off (I was wearing normal clothes, not dressing gown and slippers!) and lay on the bed with a sheet covering me. Then the staff came in (three of them I think - one to look after me, one to do the procedure and one to look after the eggs). I put my legs up on the cradle/stirrup things and got 'comfy'. Then the nurse put the sedation into my arm and it all went a bit hazy. I was aware of what was going on, and they were explaining everything to me and DH (who was sitting by me holding my hand). It did hurt a bit, but because of the sedation it was 'distant' pain. They told me how many eggs they had collected, and then I was left to rest for a short while before getting dressed, being given my drugs etc. and going home!

Hope this helps a bit. As I say, different clinics may have different procedures. Good luck!

TTC#1 since Dec 06, PCOS
IVF#1 2009 - 3xSET (blasts) - 3xBFN
IgG cardiolipins and Lupus antibodies, MTHFR heterozygous
IVF#2 2010 - 2 blasts, BFP 1/6/10, secondary OHSS
[zx076] 18/6/10 at 6+4!
On Metformin 4x500mg, Clexane 80mg, Aspirin 75mg, B12 3x50mcg
Gestational diabetes (diet controlled)
Elizabeth born prematurely on 25/11/10 at 29+3, weighing 3lbs

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Wednesday, November 25th 2009, 8:42pm

at my clinic I get there an hour before, they put me in a gown an hair net thing (not my own) and some paper pants I think.

Then nurse puts canula in back of my hand and some oral painkillers and tamazepan.

DH has to get into surgical trousers and top and plastic croc shoe things.

Then we all go into the room - like cross between scan room and theatre. I jump on the bed and put my legs in stirrups, then they put a blue surigcal cloth over my bottom half and legs. Then one lady puts sedation in, one nurse helps doctor who does procedure and embryologist is in adjoining room and shouts egg if there is one each time.

After I rested for about an hour then go for a pee, I have to drink and eat something then I can go home.

good luck, I have my EC friday xx
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

Tigs

Reg: Nov 5th 2009

Wednesday, November 25th 2009, 8:50pm

Hi Angel Mouse,

My treatment was through the nhs but EC was done at a private clinic. Here's my experience.

I had to take my nightgown and slippers, I had to strip off and put on one of their own gowns (very sexy!!), I had to walk to the threatre wearing my slippers and nighgown. When I got to the threatre I took off my nightgown and slippers but kept the sexy gown on. The anethetist then put the canula into the back of my hand and gave me the sedative, as this kicked in the threatre staff helped get me into position on the strirrups. I kind of new what was going on but was only semi concious, I could feel little twinges but nothing to be affraid off at all and the whole thing was over in about 10 mins. I was really scared but it was find.

Like Platinum said though, each clinic will do things differently.

Wishing you all the best for you treatment in Jan xx
ICSI Nov 09 zero fertilisation :bawl:

Reg: May 7th 2009

Children: Hopefully soon - but count one Tortoiseshell cat!

Wednesday, November 25th 2009, 9:12pm

hi angel mouse

I just had sedation today with my egg collection, and it was fine, they took me to a separate little room with like a really comfortable chair that reclines and I put on a gown but can keep my top and bra on underneath. When they ready they took me to a bigger room which is like a small theatre but not quite the same scale where there was the consultant and two nurses and an embriologist (she wouldnt be there if you having IUI). The consultant did the canular in my arm at my elbow and thats just like a sharp scratch of the needle then nothing else and whilst you might be talking to everybody else he inserts the sedation and next thing you know you are feeling rather like you have had 12 vodkas (great feeling!) and you lay down and they put your legs on the stirrup things and to be honest i dont really remember much after that, I do remember feeling a bit uncomfortable when he was trying to look at my left ovary for eggs (trouble getting access) but didn't feel anything happening in my right and he took 7 eggs, I dont remember getting back in the wheelchair just to go back to the room and then spent nearly an hour just taking it easy, having a couple of biscuits, drinking water and making sure you pee and if you feel ok you can go straight home. Nothing to it really, you will be absolutely fine. Good luck :hugs:
Nicky :xxx3:

1st IUI 21 August :BFN:
1st ICSI :BFN:
2nd IVF March 2010 :BFN:
3rd IVF June 2010 Failed Blastocyst :BFN:
4th IVF Alturistic Donor Eggs, :BFP:

Miscarriage 6 February 2011 at 10 weeks
Baby Billy my angel :tears:

Reg: Nov 27th 2009

Monday, December 21st 2009, 3:36pm

Does sedation knock you out?

Hello and merry christmas.

I am having EC tomorrow - I'm now starting to feel sick with nerves :headache .

At my last scan I had 23 follies, 17 on the right and 6 on the left.

Does the sedation knock you out, are you awake, or does it differ in people?

Vic xx

Jo101

Star

Reg: Mar 18th 2008

Children: None yet

Monday, December 21st 2009, 4:09pm

I had general first time and was totally knocked out. Last week I sedation, I was totally aware what was going on I just closed my eyes and did lots of deep breathing. It was totally fine actually so nothing to be scared of. I did have sedation before non IVF related and I do remember feeling completely knocked out. I guess it depends how much of the stuff you are given. Do not worry anyway just relax.

2nd IVF :BFP:

United Kingdom

Monday, December 21st 2009, 4:34pm

I had sedation. I was told I chatted away through the whole procedure but I don't remember a thing about it. I have had EC twice and it is absolutely nothing to worry about. The worst bit for me was the needle in the back of my hand but even that was fine and within 30 seconds of that I was out of it. Different people react differently but I was up and about with no pain whatsoever within 30 minutes.

Good luck tomorrow. It is really will be worth it when you get your BFP!
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

Reg: Nov 27th 2009

Monday, December 21st 2009, 5:59pm

Thanks Jo and Newly Wed.

I guess I will just have to go with it - there are people going through worse things than me.

Congratulations on your success Newly Wed :thumbsup2: and I've got my fingers crossed for you Jo xfingers .

How many eggs did you both have put back in?

Vic xx

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Monday, December 21st 2009, 6:05pm

i had light sedation for both of my transfers. i found canular uncomfortable, dont remember a thing about the procedure but my DH says i was on a loop for about 3 hrs later. i dont remember that either, apparently i was chatting crap and repeating myself constantly. wouldnt say its unpleasant. good luck to all

xxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Reg: Jun 6th 2008

Monday, December 21st 2009, 6:10pm

I was sedated and don't remember a thing. They told me to completely relax and I was so intent on making sure I didn't
feel a thing so just closed my eyes and was woken up when it was all over. Hope all goes well.

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Friday, November 5th 2010, 6:51pm

I've got e/c on monday and this time I am having sedation. I have read all the posts, but I'm still scared I will be awake, or feel pain! I don't want to see/hear anything! :scared:

Sel

Reg: Sep 22nd 2009

Children: St Marys

Saturday, May 14th 2011, 5:52pm

Egg collection sedation

Hi guys, this procedure scares me as i usually avoid taking drugs when i can so the thought of something alien being injected into my body is worrying me. How do they know how much to put into you, is it based on height weight etc or is it just the same for each person?. I know i sound overly dramatic but i would just like to put my own mind to rest so ant help would be much appreciated.
Love and Luck.

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Saturday, May 14th 2011, 5:57pm

Hi there,

I have never been sedated but I would assume it is worked out on your weight so they know how much to give you. I have always had a GA so not sure?!

hx
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Reg: Feb 10th 2011

Saturday, May 14th 2011, 6:16pm

Don't worry! It is based on height, weight and age. You will be asked minutes before EC about any allergies and other medications you are taking.

You will meet the anaesthetist and he will reassure you. I had general for EC and it went fine.
""Life doesn't require that we be the best, only that we try our best!!!""

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 24th 2010

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 4:02pm

Just thought id post in case anyone was looking recently. I had my EC today, ive always been fine coming round from GAs but had a sedation, people had said they may try and talk you into a GA but this wasnt even mentioned so maybe it goes off the consultants preference. I was in at 10 and out by 10past under sedation i actually loved it i was awake throughout in an almost dreamy trance and can honestly say did not feel any pain throughout the ec at all. Since then mild very mild period type cramp and feel abit woozy and tired if im stood up or walking around too much but other than that absolutley fine. they say sedation has a quicker recovery time and i was home by 11:50am
Jan11 clomid :BFP: Feb 11 M/C 9wks 6days

7/7/11 clomid :BFP: 24/08: ERPC

26/1/12 2 embies back 12/02/12 :BFN:

Aug12 :BFP:

10/04/13 bab22

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 24th 2010

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 4:04pm

oh and i wasnt weighed or anything before hand just asked all the usual questions, last ate? medication? crowns fillings etc? i presume if it does go off height and weight they kept it from when they originally weighed me that must be getting on for 9months or so now at least
Just thought id post in case anyone was looking recently. I had my EC today, ive always been fine coming round from GAs but had a sedation, people had said they may try and talk you into a GA but this wasnt even mentioned so maybe it goes off the consultants preference. I was in at 10 and out by 10past under sedation i actually loved it i was awake throughout in an almost dreamy trance and can honestly say did not feel any pain throughout the ec at all. Since then mild very mild period type cramp and feel abit woozy and tired if im stood up or walking around too much but other than that absolutley fine. they say sedation has a quicker recovery time and i was home by 11:50am
Jan11 clomid :BFP: Feb 11 M/C 9wks 6days

7/7/11 clomid :BFP: 24/08: ERPC

26/1/12 2 embies back 12/02/12 :BFN:

Aug12 :BFP:

10/04/13 bab22

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE