You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Baby-Dancer" started this thread

Reg: Dec 1st 2007

Saturday, December 1st 2007, 12:03pm

1st IUI - SILLY QUESTION!

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here so hello to everyone out there :hello:

I have just had my first IUI treatment this week, all went well thankfully. I was just wondering though about one important detail ... I was given a scan first to measure the size of my follies and they found I had 2 on each side, one of which was a good 18mm. I returned home with an ovulation testing kit and was told to ring the clinic as soon as I had an LH surge. I did the test the next morning and found that I had a good reading, even stronger than the test line so my DH and I booked in for the IUI. The question I'm a little unsure about is how long the sperm they inject actually last once they are high up in the womb. Some articles I've read say they last for up to 5 days, and other articles say that they last for only 24 hours or so. Our Cons advised us to have sex as normal to help our chances and I actually ovulated last night so I was slighty concerned that the treatment I had on Wednesday will have been a waste of time if the sperm don't live very long. My DH and I did have fun in the meantime so I think we've done all we can to boost our chances [zx084]!!

If anyone out there can answer my questions I'd be so grateful. I love this site, it can be a lonely process doing fertility treatment as nobody REALLY understands what you go through unless they have been there themselves, so I'm hoping i might get to know some of you over the coming months.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE !!

B-D xxxx
M/C x 4
PCOS - now clear!
1st IUI - Nov. '07 :BFN:

:snowangel:
[/URL]

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Saturday, December 1st 2007, 12:14pm

Fresh, unwashed sperm (i.e. what you get when you BD) lasts up to 5 days. Freshly washed sperm (handed in an hour before and used for IUI etc) survives about 48 hours, I was led to believe. Frozen sperm lasts for a shorter time.

Of course I could have it wrong. The best people to answer this question accurately would be Spermscientist or Paul Entwistle...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, December 1st 2007, 12:24pm

Hi baby-dancer, and welcome to FZ! Your tx won't be a lonely process now you've found us!!

There are a number of threads which have asked a similar question - and I can't remember any of the answers now! Sorry! Maybe try searching around a bit...I'll have a look as well and if I find anything I'll pop back and let you know x

edited to say found this in a post from Paul E when he responded to similar questions

There is a lot of conjecture as to how long sperm will survive in the cervical mucus. It depends on the quailty of the mucus, and the sperm, quality and the number inseminated. Also whether they were fresh or frozen donor sperm may make a difference. In general I would normally expect such sperm to last 48 hours plus, so this should be within reach of your expectant egg's arrival.

When doing AI, whether with donor sperm or partner's sperm, I have always done two inseminations, the first two days before I expected ovulation to occur, and the second on the expected day of ovulation. That way you cover a window of 4-5 days, within which mucus should peak and an egg be released.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "bubble" (Dec 1st 2007, 12:36pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE