You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kimbokoo

• "kimbokoo" started this thread

Reg: Oct 18th 2007

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 7:29pm

Question about IVF - Private and NHS

As you may know from some of my other posts, i have just been told that we are being referred for IVF and the waiting list is 2 and a half years to 3 years.

My parents have been very generous and have said they will pay for us to go private for the first cycle.

But what i wanted to know was if we go private, does it take us off the waiting list or affect our chances onn the NHS in any way? Also, how many 'go's' do you get on the NHS?

These are all questions i should have asked when we were told we were being referred but at the time, i just wanted to get out of the hospital and have a good old cry!!!

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 21st 2007

Children: 2

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 7:43pm

Hi,

I believe you can still stay on the nhs waiting list but am sure other fertility friends will confirm that for sure.

you are entitled to one free 'go'.

good luck!

Icsi Oct 07 BFP 25th Nov - miscarried @ 7 weeks
Icsi April 08 BFP May 23rd
15th Jan 09 - Gave birth to 2 beautiful girls!

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 7:59pm

with us we could ahve a max of 2 private ivfs before we were disallowed our nhs go, you can stay on list while ding private cycles
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 8:02pm

Hi Kimbokoo

Every NHS area has different rules.

All I can tell you is that I got on our NHS waiting list in January and was told it was a year's waiting.

We wanted to get a cycle in before then (and hopefully succeed of course!) but with the view that if we weren't successful we'd then be nearer the top of the list.

We can have three attempts with the NHS but for every private treatment you have, they knock one off. So, (god forbid) this attempt is unsuccessful, our next try would be with the NHS and they would see that as cycle no.2.

This is a quote from the HFEA website:

Since April 2005, women between the ages of 23 and 39 are able to get one free IVF cycle on the NHS. However, there are eligibility criteria which are set by each of the Primary Care Trusts (PCT) and these can vary from region to region.

Your GP can give you the contact details for your local PCT, who will be able to advise you of their funding criteria, or you can contact the PCT direct.

That's what I would suggest your next step be.

The very best of luck!!!

xxxxxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 8:42pm

Hi Kimbokoo

As duffymoon says, it does vary from area to area - you should be able to find out from your local trusts priorities statement - which should be on their website.

Where I am we are entitled to only one free go and if you go private you lose that go (so I lose it because we are going private because we don't qualify for nhs - too young).

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Ethel

Star

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 9:00pm

I dont think with my authority it made any difference

What i do know is if you give birth to a baby or even adopt you are taken out NHS list immediately

Reg: Mar 6th 2007

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 9:24pm

With Leeds you have to be referred BEFORE your 38th birthday to qualify for a go on the NHS.

It's a postcode lottery !

Annette
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
March 07 Early m'pause.Ovaries inactive
IVF Aug 07 No response to drugs Adoption only optn
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 9:28pm

We got one free go of IVF and the waiting was only 6mth, my consultant said there was no problem having a go private in between it wouldnt of made any difference to us getting out go free.

When I was with my ex husband living up North the list for St Marys was a 4yr wait. So it does vary from area to area.
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "melanie" (Oct 22nd 2007, 9:30pm)

kimbokoo

• "kimbokoo" started this thread

Reg: Oct 18th 2007

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 1:42pm

Wow, it certainly does vary doesnt it.

Im at the doctors in the morning so hopefully will ask him everything i want to know then, but i just know im gonna come out of there and have something that i didnt ask him.

What would you all suggest I ask him so that I can try and understand all this a bit better???

Katy

Ace

Reg: Jun 7th 2007

Children: 1 daughter!

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 4:27pm

Hi Kimbokoo,

I'm in Manchester as well, so can probably answer your questions! What PCT are you under? I'm with Bury and you get three goes, but everytime you have a go with a private clinic it gets knocked off you nhs. But this is only if the ivf tx goes from start to finish regardless of whether it is pos or neg.

If like me, you have to stop the tx half way through and it gets converted to something else, this doesn't knock any goes off.

Also, your name will go on the nhs waiting list from the date you were first seen by the consultant at the nhs. So for example, I was referred and seen by a consultant in Nov 2006, but due to all the tests we had we weren't referred for ivf until around July this year. But I was backdated on the list from Nov 06 and was told very recently that we are the top of the list (so the waiting list time we were told was 2-3 years in Bury but is actually shorter. Apparently they've put some money into it to shorten the list or something).

Which clinic were you going to use to go private? PM me if you want to discuss this in private!!!!

1st IVF Oct 07 convert to IUI due to poor response to drugs Bfn
2nd IVF Feb 08 poor response convert IUI Bfn
29.03.08 - Natural Bfp - early loss
Aug 08 3rd ivf BFP!!!
One gorgeous daughter!!!
Trying to recover from Post Natal Depression
Jan 10 Natural Bfp!!! :8o:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE