You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Kirsty C

• "Kirsty C" started this thread

Reg: Oct 15th 2007

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 3:53pm

Anyone heard of the Jinemed clinic in Turkey?

Hi there

My DH and I are thinking of going abroad for our next round of ICSI for a few reasons...

Less expensive than UK (by half)
Higher success rates
Transfer more than 1 embryo (although I think I would only ever agree to 2 being transferred, i'm well hacked off about the new law that's going to be in place soon about transferring only 1 embryo in the UK)

I've done a bit of research on the net and the Jinemed in Turkey seems to be a good place to go - has anyone ever heard of it or been to it?

Kirstyxxx
2 rounds of ICSI due to male infertility
Both freeze all due to OHSS
3 rounds of natural FET - all BFN
Cuurently on 2ww with medicated FET
BFP 24 th Oct :D
TWINS!!!! :D :D
Lost one twin @ 8 weeks 4 days :sadface:
One healthy baby still on board - please stay with us :pray:

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 4:06pm

As far as i know there has been no more news from the HFEA about only allowing one embryo to be transferred. A decision is expected shortly, but I personally very much doubt if they will reduce the max no of embies to be transferred from 2 to 1. It is more likely that they will encourage clinics to use only one, but that the clinics will have the final say over it. (Please someone correct me if I have missed something?)

Not heard of the clinic in Turkey. My Dh and I had our last cycle of treatment abroad, in Norway, and you are right, the treatment itself is a lot cheaper, but you have to factor in the cost of travel and accommodation and food, and incidentals before you decide if you will have saved a great deal or not.

I'm also a bit dubious about higher success rates now. I think they have different ways of portraying their statistics in a lot of other countries so it may be a little misleading. But even so, you have to consider whether you would be under added stress going aborad also, as that is likely to affect your outcome.

If you want to know any more about treatment abroad, there have been a few good threads on here a few months ago which had a very good response.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrs_smiff" (Oct 16th 2007, 4:07pm)

Kirsty C

Wednesday, October 17th 2007, 9:48am

Thanks Mrs Smiff for your response.

It was actually my mum that told me about the one embryo transfer, she read it in a sunday newspaper, but perhaps she has got her wires crossed - that would certainly be my main reason for going abroad.

As for going abroad, I hear you on the stress factor. We would have to stay out there for 3 weeks and I am definitely a "home bird" - 1 week away for me is always enough and that was a worry for me.

I think my best bet is to book a consultation with the private clinic in the UK and see what they have to say.

Good luck you on your journey

Kirstyxx

Kirsty C

Wednesday, October 17th 2007, 10:28am

Me again Mrs Smiff!

I took your advice and looked up previous posts - I looked up the link you provded for the Norwegian clinic you went to and I sent them an email.

How did you find them? Are their success rates really 40%? I expect to pay around £4000-£4500 for ICSI treatment here and the private clinic I will be going to is 40% success rate so I guess the deciding factor now would be cost.

How much did you have to pay all in including accomodation in Norway?

I see we would only have to be out there for a week, which suits me much better so it's a clinic I would definietly consider.

I'm sorry you got a BFN - will you try again?

Kirstyxx

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Wednesday, October 17th 2007, 2:33pm

Hi Kirsty. I have to say the clinic we used were very good. Very professional and polite. Knew what they were talking about. The only gripe I have is that there has been no follow up, and I am finding it difficult to get answers from them, which isn't want you want really! Also, the day after we got a negative test result, the clinic phoned my DH and he said it was like they were trying to 'sell' themselves to us again, trying to get us to make another appointment! Not what you want to hear under the circumstances!

I think in total the whole thing cost us nearly £4000, plus a lot more if you factor in the week DH had to take off work (he is self employed so gets no pay if he isn't working). I had to stay there for 10 days as I had a scan on the Friday. We could have flown home on the same day as the embryo transfer, but I just didn't feel up to it really. Flights are only on Tuesday Thursday and Sunday, so if you don't fly on one day, you have to wait for the next flight so it adds to the time over there. It is also VERY expensive over there! Just going out for a sandwich and coffee at lunch time cost more than £20 a time and forget eating out cos it really is steep! There is also a very limited amount of stuff to do over there, so it does become very boring.

On saying all this, another lady who uses this site, Addy, used the same clinic just before me and got a BFP first time round. So it's swings and roundabouts to be honest.

I don't think I would use the same clinic again. I would consider going abroad again if it was somewhere I really wanted to visit and wouldn't mind spending time there, but I think in my circumstances it is just easier if we use a 'home' clinic.

I have become very mistrusting of facts and figure on clinic websites advetising a certain % success rate. I think each person has their own success rate, and it very much depends on what your problem is as to whether you will be going along the lines of the clinic's 'average patient'. A lot of the success in IVF is very much down to luck I reckon. You can do everything by the book, and still get a BFN, or you can be reckless and do as you please and get a BFP! There seems to be no pattern. I guess if there was, then we wouldn't have so many IVF failures as we would know what makes it work!

At the clinic we are considering now, we are looking at paying aorund £4000 for our next treatment including drugs, so it really is quite comparable with the Norwegian clinic, without the hassle of DH being off work, and me being away from home for so long.

Edited to say, I'll just add a breakdown of the total cost of the treatment in Norway for you, so you can compare.

ICSI treatment £1700
Drugs £900
Accommodation £600
Flights £400 (this includes staying at a hotel near to Stansted as it was so far away from home)
Car Hire in Norway (essential unless ou want to eat your own eyes through boredom!) £400

Total £4000

I think we probably spent another couple of hundred on lunches, fuel for the car etc etc. So in all, the cost is pretty similar to what you'd spend over here. Don't forget you would need 2 trips out there, one for your consultation, so that will be flights, plus 2 nights accommodation, time off work etc, and unless you want to fly back home just a couple of hours after embryo transfer, which I personally didn't think was a good idea, you will need 10 days over there for treatment.
I have 4 lovely big kids

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrs_smiff" (Oct 17th 2007, 2:39pm)

Kirsty C

Wednesday, October 17th 2007, 5:49pm

Wow! Thanks for all that information! That really helped make my mind up! Sometimes you just don't know what to do for the best.

I get bored very very easily...another reason why I was apprehensive about going to Istanbul for 3 weeks, although I'm sure the sightseeing would have been lovely.

We had decided to go for a consultation at the private clinic near us, so I think we will stick with that and have our full treatment there and I think you are right with regards to pot luck and different stats for different people - I guess you just hope and want to believe the success rates when you see them so high at some clinics.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for from the clinic in Norway - you'd think if they wanted you to go through it again with them then they'd be keen to answer any follow up questions you have! It must be so frustrating!

Good luck for whatever you decide to do next - please let me know what you decide

xx

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Wednesday, October 17th 2007, 9:24pm

Thanks Kirsty! I have got a consultation tomorrow so fingers crossed! Same goes for you mate, let me know how it goes and what you decide. All the best anyway!
I have 4 lovely big kids

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE