You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sunshine" started this thread

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 6:07am

implant contraception?

erm, not sure where to put this question as i dont want to upset people on the health section, and I dont want to upset people ttc for #2,3,4, whatever, but it is a genuine question that I never thought I would ask

we need long term contraception, but dont really want to have sterilisation

has anyone tried the implanon implanted contraception?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 7:36am

We use it at the surgery. The brand licensed in the UK is called Implanon, but they are all very similar, a small plastic rod about 3-4cm long which is injected under the skin and slowly releases progesterone. It last for 3 years and is very effective (no method is 100% effective). We like it more than the 3 monthly injections because as soon as you remove the implant, the patient is fertile again (assuming they were to begin with :rolleyes:). The only drawbacks are that it can cause irregular bleeding, but we sometimes treat that with a 3 month course of the combined pill which sorts it out, and they can be difficult to remove.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 8:03am

My friend is using the implant and she is very happy. Moody as hell though but so she has always been!

I would stay away from the injections since I had a really bad experience with them.

Would you not be interested in a coil?
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

Children: if only!

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 10:19am

Hi

Can I throw in my two cents from the 'mental patient' perspective? :D

Its probably not an issue for you sunshine, but I thought I would mention this in case it helps someone else.

For ladies with previous psych history hormonal methods, and especially progesterone only methods (implant, mirena IUS, minipill, depo injection) are not without risk, because synthetic progesterones can make you more prone to relapse. The official line is that they only 'dampen mood' so its not an issue for most people, but is something to think about for anyone with a previous history of depression etc or even bad PMS because it could suggest your mood is hormone sensitive.

I'd be especially cautious about the depo injection if you have fragile or hormone dependent moods because although most ladies get on fine with it, a few do not and they can have a tough time waiting for the side effects to wear off.

Barrier methods e.g., diaphragm, are a safer bet than messing about with your hormonal system if you have fragile mental health (I wish someone had told me that!).

best wishes

Mousie

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 10:51am

I have the mirena coil in for a year this month, for the first 6 months or so it was a dream, light periods, sometimes no bleed, pain free and PMS was better, for the last 6 months periods have been erratic and v painful, sore boobs, awful PMS and migraines :( My mum has similar problems to me but got on fine with her implant, all I can say is you never know unless you try :))

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 12:41pm

mousie - thanks for that - tbh that is my biggest concern which is why long term we were thinking of vasectomy for DH

I discussed with my GP who is also an ex-fertility clinic consultant who knows full well about my previous PND

He reckons my symptoms (of PND) were more to do with the withdrawal of oestrogen than the progesterone dosage, but that I should be relatively safe. I was on the combined pill at one stage and that was baaaaad.

He recommended either Mirena or Implanon for the long term.

I heard that you could feel the metal wires in the coil?

I dont like the idea of the injection in case the side effects are bad - you cant remove an injection , can you?!

Torisen

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 1:30pm

No you can't remove the injection and it is BAAAAD!
You can try out the hormones in pill form fist but when you get the jab then that is it!!!
The implant you can remove!!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 1:33pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshine

He recommended either Mirena or Implanon for the long term.

I heard that you could feel the metal wires in the coil?

I can't hun, neither can DP :) I have had a feel around there though to check it was there a few months back and I can feel like a very very fine thread at my cervix

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 2:09pm

Whether you can feel the threads or not depends on how long they are. Women sometimes come back in to have them trimmed.

Torisen

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 2:11pm

Mrs J, do you trim the rest too? :D
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

mrsjasper

Megastar

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 2:13pm

Just the threads! Actually its the doc that does it, not me, I just take them out.

Torisen

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 2:15pm

Dr's trim the rest? :)
Its like being in the dog parlour! :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

mrsjasper

Megastar

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 2:18pm

You have a very strange idea of what my working day involves!

Torisen

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 2:20pm

Mine involves trimming nose hair at the moment. Exact instructions are: "watch inside of nostrils, make as photogenic as poss" Uhm...
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 5:52pm

I know I'm being daft but there is just something about the coil which makes my toes curl up. Mrs J are people generally happy with it? It sounds like you have to have an awful lot of people fiddling about up there with a coil!

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 6:56pm

It did take me 3 appointments and a scan to get mine in but purely because of the shape of my womb, seems to take a hell of a lot to get it out though ;(

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 8:33pm

We fit dozens of Mirenas (coil plus hormone). And most women LOVE them, especially as one of our GPs is one of the few people around who will fit women who've never given birth. It suits our students really well, they can completely forget about contraception for 5 years, then once its out fertility goes back to normal immediatley.

I admit, I find the idea of a bit of bent wire in my womb a bit strange. Apparently in accient times, women used to put stones inside with the same effect! :8o: But so many of our patients think they are fantastic that I'm completely sold. I'm definitely going to try one when I've finished having babies, a Mirena I have to stress, not a coil minus the hormone. Fitting them can be uncomfortable but not exactly painful in women who have had vaginal deliveries or a c section after labour where they dilated to 2cm. Ok one girl passed out once but she had no kids, a hangover and hadn't eaten all day!

Sunday, September 2nd 2007, 4:47am

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper It suits our students really well, they can completely forget about contraception for 5 years,

eek :8o: what about STDs?! ?(

anyway, as I've had 2 c-sections & never dilated - not even the tiniest bit - would that be a problem for the coil? just remembered - they had trouble doing an HSG cos of my cervix - i wonder if fitting a coil might have the same triouble?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Sunday, September 2nd 2007, 4:23pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshine

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper It suits our students really well, they can completely forget about contraception for 5 years,

eek :8o: what about STDs?! ?(

anyway, as I've had 2 c-sections & never dilated - not even the tiniest bit - would that be a problem for the coil? just remembered - they had trouble doing an HSG cos of my cervix - i wonder if fitting a coil might have the same triouble?

Good point about STDs, we do give out condoms too! And we offer testing.

If you've never dilated its still perfectly possible to fit one, just more 'uncomfortable'. Its very similar to having a HSG. I would advise, find a doctor who is experienced in fitting them in women who have never had a vaginal delivery, have it fitted on a period (you are definitely not pregnant and your cervix is softer and dilated), don't turn up for your appointment having had no food all day, take some ibuprofen before you go and don't plan anything strenuous (you know like looking after children :rolleyes:) for a few hours afterwards.

Missy

Superstar

Sunday, September 2nd 2007, 5:14pm

I had a period type cramp which lasted for about 2-3 seconds, after that I felt fine :))

I forgot to say that my friend has also had the implant and 4 months on she has had no side effects yet :)

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Monday, September 3rd 2007, 3:04am

mrsj - ooh - in that case I am not so sure about the coil

it took three attempts to have an HSG, the first cos they couldnt get a tube small enough to pass through the cervix, the second because the womb was tilted

the third worked a few weeks later, but I was put under a light general anaesthetic as I was totally traumatised by this stage

I'm also breastfeeding so havent had a period yet and going by previous experience might take another 6 months or so

mmmmmm implant looking more attractive

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE