You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "BeckyP" started this thread

Reg: Jan 30th 2007

Monday, August 27th 2007, 11:07am

congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferens

Hiya All

I've been away from FZ for a few weeks because my computer died - have finally given in and bought a new one.

In that time we've found out that mf DF is a carrier of Cystic Fibrosis and also probably has 'congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferens'. He is going for an ultrasound scan to confirm this next week.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or have their own experience of this that they can share with me?

It all seems quite scary right now and we're waiting for the results of my genetic test to see if I'm also a carrier.

Every time we go to see our consultant there is another complication - am starting to feel really negative about things and am wondering if us having a child is just 'not meant to be' .. know what I mean?

Becky x

Me: 36 PCOS & Anovulation & very overweight.
DF: 37 Azoospermia / CBAVD / Carrier of CF gene
TTC baby #1 for 5 years
ICSI our only hope.

• "londonchic" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 18th 2005

Monday, August 27th 2007, 11:23am

hi becky, my dh has this condition, we found out after a sperm test showed no sperm and a subsequent operation discovered no vas deferens. We dont know if he carries the gene as he was never tested but he probably does. Good thing is that in most cases, sperm is made but it just cant get out! In our case they extracted it straight from his testicle and it was obviously good stuff as im expecting twins in a few weeks after undergoing icsi treatment.

It is a rollercoaster ride and seems like you will never get any good news, but stay hopeful.

I was tested and am not a carrier of the gene so at least we know there is no chance our children will have the disease. Good luck with all of your tests and if you need any more advice/support, just let me know

xx

Monday, August 27th 2007, 12:31pm

Wow Londonchic that's great news!

Thanks for your reply. Where did you have your treatment?

TTC baby #1 for 5 years
ICSI our only hope.

• "londonchic" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 18th 2005

Monday, August 27th 2007, 6:41pm

chelsea and westminster hospital, quite a way from where you are!

Tuesday, August 28th 2007, 9:26am

Yes that's true.

Always nice to hear good news.

We're faced with the whole journey ahead of us and it's all so daunting. I think people who haven't been through this somehow think all the tests and finding out you can't conceive naturally is the hard part ... and even tho I agree that it is difficult and emotional it's just the tip of the iceberg once your treatment starts.

I kind of feel that my journey is on hold at the moment tho because we still don't know yet if we can actually harvest any sperm from DF. PLus I've got a whole heap of weight to lose before I can go on the NHS list proper - at the moment I'm on a 'holding list' until my BMI is under 30. PLus I'm now 35 and DF is 36 - it's a bit like a race against time ... know what i mean?

TTC baby #1 for 5 years
ICSI our only hope.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE