You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "SusieWinwood" started this thread

Reg: Jul 4th 2006

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 8:37am

Testosterone!

Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to what the 'normal' level is?

Ive dug out DH blood work from last year and we were lead to believe that at 8.2 nmol/L this was a little low as the norm was 10. Is this correct? The CARE consultant said it was little low but Prof Lieberman at MFS didnt seem overly concerned. Im desparately trying to work out why he's no swimmers! :hairout

Many thanks

Susie x

Me 39+3 ok
DH 39 Azoospermia
3xDIUI all BFN
Plan B AI known donor, 4 x BFN :tears:
:BFP: 22 March 2008! happydance :sticky:please

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 8:53am

Your seemingly simple question requires some complicated explaining and then the final conclusion is, "It Depends." You see, there are two types of testosterone floating around in a guy's bloodstream and three ways of measuring it. Bound testosterone is hitching a ride on a protein molecule, such as albumin or globulin and is inactive; that is, it could spring into action at any time -- but not right now. Free testosterone, on the other hand, is unattached and on the prowl. There are far fewer of those free-spirited types than there are of the bound, a ratio of 5:95 or about 5% of total testosterone. But it's these few free 5% that drive the sex drive.

A total testosterone level (bound and free combined) reading can be misleading. The bound and free levels need to be separated out to get the clearest picture of what is really going on. For even if the total levels of testosterone appear normal, or even high, if levels of free testosterone are below normal a quantifiable problem exists.

Then there is the matter of capturing those micro-critters--no easy task. The secretion of testosterone is regulated by LHRH secretions from the brain which in turn is affected by seasonal changes. This means that testosterone levels can fluctuate dramatically (up to 100 ng/dl) in as little as fifteen minutes. Over the course of a day the levels can vary by as much as 50%. What this all boils down to is that a single blood test is unlikely to yield an accurate picture and that three drawings at fifteen to twenty minute intervals are called for. This is not a pleasant thought for the needle shy or faint-at-the sight-of-blood folks!

When you've gone through all that, you can finally get to some numbers. And these numbers are sometimes hard to decipher. The *normal* range for total testosterone is incredibly broad -- 250 to 1,200 nanograms (ng) per deciliter (dl). These numbers indicate whether there is adequate testosterone for normal sexual drive. If total level are in the "low normal" range, less than 400 ng/dl levels should be monitored. If levels are below normal, less than 250 ng/dl, your physician may recommend replacement therapy.

What about the free testosterone levels? Here comes the "It Depends." It depends on a man's age. The normal range of free testosterone is 1.0-5.0 ng/dl. However, a guy in his 20's may have levels around 41.0 pg/ml ( p grams/milliliter) while a gentleman in his 80's may have around 9.0 pg/ml -- and they would both be considered normal.

"Normal" and "not normal" can often be hard to define in any situation. Especially in the case of testosterone there are no simple answers.

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Reg: Jan 30th 2007

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 5:12pm

Hiya Susie,

I can't answer your question but am interested because my DF has no swimmers either. I'm wondering what tests he needs to have now they've found this our after 2 SA's. He's going to have his bloods done next week - but what else is there? What tests did your DH have? Have you not been given any idea as to why no swimmers?

Thanks
Becky xx

Me: 36 PCOS & Anovulation & very overweight.
DF: 37 Azoospermia / CBAVD / Carrier of CF gene
TTC baby #1 for 5 years
ICSI our only hope.

• "SusieWinwood" started this thread

Reg: Jul 4th 2006

Wednesday, June 13th 2007, 11:56am

Hi Becky

We've both had shedful of fertility blood tests.

DH had his HIV/HEP B and C, FSH, LH and Testosterone.

Apart from maybe his testosterone being a little low at 8.2 (10 - 25 is the norm) this might be a factor, but saying that, I posted on the Male factor thread yesterday there isnt a 'normal' reading as such according the what Eeyore kindly posted so I'm none the wiser!

Prof Lieberman didnt seem all the concerned about it tbh.

I guess we are still flummoxed as to what in going on insides DH bits! :hairout

Susie x

Me 39+3 ok
DH 39 Azoospermia
3xDIUI all BFN
Plan B AI known donor, 4 x BFN :tears:
:BFP: 22 March 2008! happydance :sticky:please

Reg: Jan 30th 2007

Wednesday, June 13th 2007, 3:45pm

Hiya Susie,

Has DH had any scans?

I wondered if that was the next step - to check for blockages or any missing tubes or whatnot ...

Sorry if this all seems a bit uneducated - I just don't know what the procedure should be in cases like these. My DF has no sperm but we've no ideas why. Shouldn't the doctors be concerned with finding that out? Or is it just us it drives insane?

Any ideas?
Thanks
Becky x

Me: 36 PCOS & Anovulation & very overweight.
DF: 37 Azoospermia / CBAVD / Carrier of CF gene
TTC baby #1 for 5 years
ICSI our only hope.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE