You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "Claire Bear" started this thread

What's Up?
Finally I'm a mummy!

Friday, October 16th 2009, 10:54pm

Newbie seeking advice from Paul... please!

Hi Paul,

A few days ago I started a thread in this section entitled 'Am I a dreamer?' and had some helpful responses. However I would really like it if you could have a read of this post and look over the results my DH has received for his last few SA. I appreciate how busy you are but would really like your view on whether you think I am being a dreamer with regard to acheiving a natural pregnancy.

Thank you in anticipation xxx

TTC since 2007

PCOS/High ATA's/MF issues/Immune issues/Hidden C+

ICSI 1 :BFN:
ICSI 2 :BFP: mmc
ICSI 3 :BFN:
DICSI 4 :BFP: chem pg
DFET 5 :BFN:
DICSI 6 (Immune protocol) :BFN:
DICSI 7 (Immune protocol) :BFN:
DFET 8 (Immune protocol) :BFP: : D
Finally blessed with a beautiful :girl: on 28.11.15, 8Ib 12

Australia

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: Boy/Girl Twins - Feel blessed everday...

Friday, October 16th 2009, 11:14pm

Hi Claire Bear!

Hope you are doing ok hon. Just letting you know that I did let Paul know about your last thread. I think he is away at the moment, so please don't think he is ignoring you as this is not the case. I'm sure he will catch up with everyone really soon.

xxxxxxxxx
Rachel blowkiss

#1 ICSI Sept 09 - Chem preg
#2 ICSI Nov 09 - Chem preg
#3 ICSI May 10 - BFP: Twins!!! :girl: :boy:

• "Claire Bear" started this thread

What's Up?
Finally I'm a mummy!

Friday, October 16th 2009, 11:20pm

Thank you! I guess I seem very impatient don't I? You become good at being impatient though when TTC don't you think? :smile:

Hope he won't think I'm nagging.

xx

TTC since 2007

PCOS/High ATA's/MF issues/Immune issues/Hidden C+

ICSI 1 :BFN:
ICSI 2 :BFP: mmc
ICSI 3 :BFN:
DICSI 4 :BFP: chem pg
DFET 5 :BFN:
DICSI 6 (Immune protocol) :BFN:
DICSI 7 (Immune protocol) :BFN:
DFET 8 (Immune protocol) :BFP: : D
Finally blessed with a beautiful :girl: on 28.11.15, 8Ib 12

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, October 17th 2009, 12:26am

RE: Newbie seeking advice from Paul... please!

Hi again,

I have replied to you on your other thread but copied it to you here also:

" Did Somebody call?

Hello to Dreamer Claire Bear - I am not about to laugh at you. I have learnt never to say never in fertility. Odd and amazing things do happen, and I am always happy to be proven wrong when I am having to give out bad news.

So my answer to your question is that - yes, I have seen pregnancies conceived naturally even where there were very, very low sperm counts and qualities, certainly below one million/ml. Of course they do not happen as often or as quickly as when the male situation is better.

Many factors must combine together to produce a fertile couple, and they must combine together often enough (in enough cycles) for this to result in pregnancy. Even for fertile couples there are many more cycles in which a pregnancy does not occur than when it does happen. This is because there are random things that go wrong and which are out of our control. Not every sperm in a fertile man's seminal fluid is a fertile sperm, not every fertile woman's egg is a fertilisable one, not every egg/sperm combination leads to a viable embryo, not every embryo grows normally or implants adequately.

The only ever proof of fertility is a pregnancy and this can sometimes take a long time to happen. You have always to try to maximise your chances by getting your progesterone as good as possible (certainly greater than 30nmol/L), by his regularly ejaculating (every 2-3 days) and by making love every 2-3 days so that you never miss ovulation when it happens. Having a regular cycle is encouraging but you could still have a poor progesterone, so get this checked every few months, it is so important.

His second and third specimens were taken not that long after his flu and this may have contributed to the problem. He needs to have an update test soon, as if the viral infection was a factor, this would still be so in June, but should have passed by now. In the meantime he should start taking zinc to improve motility, perhaps multivitamins, avoiding testicular overheating. The raised viscosity is quite a common problem, and often comes and goes. It can be associated with a prostatic infection although there are usually increased numbers of white cells (leucocytes) when there is an active infection (and also often when there isn't!) Very viscose specimens can have a reduced motility as a result. It can sometimes be possible to reduce viscosity in the laboratory, or the sperm can be 'washed out' of the viscous seminal fluid, resuspended in culture medium and used for simple, intra-cervical insemination.

Get another semen analysis done as soon as you can, by a reputable laboratory and see what the picture is now, and have your progesterone tested. Then we can talk again. And in the meantime make sure that you and he keep active 2-3 times per week right through your cycle. And always test whenever you get anything different happening with your cycle. Most pregnancies fail very early on, but a positive test indicates a possible embryo trying (or tried to implant), and that is always good news in your situation.

Kind regards,

Paul

P.S. And carry on dreaming, for a while at least."

I hope this all makes sense - keep in touch in the meantime.

P.
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, October 17th 2009, 12:38am

RE: Newbie seeking advice from Paul... please!

Hi again C.B.

As another P.S. - there was a reference on your other thread to DH taking cough mixture to thin out and reduce his seminal viscosity.

This is an approach that has worked for some women whose cervical mucus always seems to be thick and tenacious. The original cough mixture used was always Benylin, hence the expression "Benylin Babies"

It did seem to work with these women. I am not sure about the logic of using it for DH as the high viscosity is not due to the same mechanism as that which causes cervical and chest mucus. But it might be worth a try. I can't think of any problem with this. He could take a standard dose of Benylin or any similar cough mixture (talk to the pharmacist) designed to digest mucus. He needs not to take too much, and use it at night, as some preparations can impair driving.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE