You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Reg: Dec 14th 2009

Children: none

Monday, March 16th 2009, 8:36pm

they prefer you to have a bmi of 29.9 but they do take into consideration any weight loss usually 10% while your on waiting list.
TTC 8 1/2yrs
unexplained infertility
clomid 2008 x3 bfn
gonal f 2009 x2 bfn

1st ivf April 2010 BFN

2nd ivf (icsi) Aug 2010 BFN :tears:

Nikki34

Reg: Apr 11th 2009

Children: one Daughter

Monday, April 13th 2009, 11:53am

Hi

This all sounds very frustrating, if its not bad enough having to go through this treatment they then put restrictions in. My BMI is very high 42 and I have been told to get this to 37 or below before I can start my treatment which is private, I hate to think what I would do if I needed to get to 30 or below I think I would just give up or starve myself. We had wanted to start our treatment next month after what has been a stressful few months of trying to raise the 4k its going to cost us only to be told I need to get my BMI down - I was already on Weight Watchers taking it slow lost 8lb so far this year but now I needed to hurry things along, gone on diet pills can hardly eat or sleep the weight seems to be coming off at a quick pace which is pleasing but I am not happy that I am putting my body through this as I don't believe in taking these pills, so I have said I am going to take them for 10 weeks then go back to Weight Watchers, although I must admit what I do eat I am writing down and still putting points by it so I can still keep in track with the plan.

What I find the most frustrating is that I had my daughter 6 years ago using one cycle of ICSI there were no restrictions back then at the private hospital I used and probably wasn't far off what I weight now. So I actually believe that if its meant to happen it will happen don't matter if you are fat or thin or how old you are, yes you probably think that is not true but look at some of these ladies 20 stone + who get pregnant 60 years old get pregnant!!

The first time I had this done I had none of the stresses I am having to go through now, we just paid the money and had the treatment.

All I have to left to say is keep going ladies.xx
Nikki

maevey

Reg: Jan 2nd 2009

Children: 1 darling 3 yr old boy

Tuesday, April 14th 2009, 10:15pm

hi nikki
all i can ask is ,what r the diet pills called i need a miracle...
i am also ready to start private icsi treatment and my BMI is 35.9 it has to b under 33 b4 i can begin.. all was going good loosing a few pounds and then we came to EASTER EGGS oh how if u just get the taste of choclate in the system its soo hard to get it out of the taste buds :yumyum:
do u know i am the very same as u, i have a 3 yr old boy from icsi and probably didn just weigh as heavy then but near enough, weight wasnt mentioned. yes u r right if its meant to b it wil b....
i believe that infertility is caused by several reasons not by weight or age..

i have to ring with my next month cycle start date and tell them my BMI so i probably wont have reached it but please god by the next month.. thats what i mean bout needing a miracle.
good luck any way, isnt it great to know positive stories bout icsi. miracles really do happen----
maevey

buzz

Ace

Reg: Aug 27th 2008

Tuesday, August 18th 2009, 4:57pm

I've been slightly anxious about my weight but after reading your posts I feel much more positive - so i just wanted to say Thank You

If everything ok with scan we'll be having our second IVF, starting tomorrow

me 37 dp 39
08-IVF 1 - bfn
2009-IVF 2 :BFP:
2011- natural :BFP:

Reg: Oct 3rd 2009

Children: Roehampton

Saturday, October 3rd 2009, 6:31pm

RE: Weight and ICSI

Hi
I have had the nurse clinic appointment at Roehampton and was told BMI needs to be below 30.
Hope that helps.
Good luck xxx
Charlie
Charlie

What's Up?
Finally I'm a mummy!

Saturday, October 10th 2009, 4:30pm

Hi,

You definitely find it varies in different PCT's. For NHS funding where I am you need to have a BMI less than 30, however, at the same clinic if you pay for treatment then a BMI under 35 is ok. I'm currently at a BMI of 33 having lost 23 pounds. It seems to be taking forever and I obviously still have a long way to go before reaching a BMI of 30 so we are going to self fund a cycle in the meantime. Losing weight is so difficult - especially when the pressure is on, and also if you have P.c.o.s like me which makes the battle even harder. Good luck to everyone trying to lose weight! xx

TTC since 2007

PCOS/High ATA's/MF issues/Immune issues/Hidden C+

ICSI 1 :BFN:
ICSI 2 :BFP: mmc
ICSI 3 :BFN:
DICSI 4 :BFP: chem pg
DFET 5 :BFN:
DICSI 6 (Immune protocol) :BFN:
DICSI 7 (Immune protocol) :BFN:
DFET 8 (Immune protocol) :BFP: : D
Finally blessed with a beautiful :girl: on 28.11.15, 8Ib 12

Reg: Oct 12th 2009

Children: i wish!

Monday, October 12th 2009, 11:56am

putting weight on to get started with ivf

hi everyone!

i'm new to this website, and to ivf in general.

me and mu husband went to st mary's hospital in manchester on sat morn for my bloods/internal scan.

the nurse weighed me and measured my height, and she told me i need to put weight on to begin ivf. she said if i don't this will delay us in our treatment.

i am 5ft 4in, and weigh only 7 stone 4 pounds. my bmi is 17.
she said i need to be nearer 8 stone for us to begin treatment as being underweight afftects the outcome of the meds/success.

i am trying to gain weight, i have been to a nurtitionist who told me to drink 1 pint of milk per day, in cereal/tea/coffee/milkshake/yogurt etc.

i will do this, but i am wondering if anyone else was told the same thing when they went to st mary's?

i can't be the only underweight person on here so any stories would be great!

i have been the same weight for as long as i can remember and i know how important it is for me to gain weight in order to have a baby. it's actually harder than you think as i can eat whatever i want and it doesn't go anywhere!

thanks all!!
me - 25 dh - 27
dh sperm ok
me - 1 blocked tube, 1 open but damaged tube discovered after laparoscopy
ivf our only option
having ICSI

Feb 2010 - :BFN: :scream: :tears: :rant: :tears: :tears:
FET June 2010 - None of our 4 embryos survived the thaw :tears:

Reg: Jul 21st 2009

Children: 2 angels watching over us & our precious DD Scarlett Leigh <3

Monday, October 12th 2009, 12:38pm

So many people on here will Envy you, haha . . . I can tell you if I cut bread out, I lose weight, so maybe eat more bread??

Sorry I can't be of more help, but Welcome to FZ, and someone will be able to help you soon :happy:
Lots of heartbreaking history incl 2 losses :-(

April 12 - IVF - :BFP:

Sept/Oct 18 - ICSI

OHSS ;(

4 embies in the freezer :rollseyes:

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, October 12th 2009, 1:12pm

Hi and welcome to FZ. :D

Just to let you know that I have deleted your duplicate thread on this issue. I'm sure one of the girls who have IVF experience will be along soon to give you some advice.

You might want to introduce yourself and say hi on the newbies board here as well?

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Mar 10th 2009

Monday, October 12th 2009, 2:04pm

RE: putting weight on to get started with ivf

Hi

Good luck with IVF.

I would definitely look at your general lifestyle. Are you always on the go, have lots of nervous energy or work out at the gym a lot? If so try and slow down lots.

Milk is good as it is fat and protein and that is what you need to eat lots of to gain weight. So just increase all dairy products which have both and be more observant of really high protein and fat and dishes etc.

Combining both these things will put weight on, it depends how much you focus on it as to how quickly!

The best of luck with it and let us know how you get on. Maybe get one of the those weight tickers to help monitor it.

Cheers
7yr old DD Natural
2nd ICSI Nov 09
2 embies on board :BFP: 1 [zx076] seen 6.5 wks

Australia

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: Boy/Girl Twins - Feel blessed everday...

Monday, October 12th 2009, 11:22pm

Hi Hopingitworks!

First of all welcome to FZ. I can see you are in a little pickle here hon!

First of all, do you exercise? If you do, you may want to cut back on this a bit.

Secondly, apart from all the other foods that you have already mentioned for your diet, the only other thing that I can think of are protein shakes. You could maybe add a couple of these to your diet a day so you are eating more 'meals'. And they are healthy calories.

I would also go back and see the dietician and get some more advise about putting on weight. They are the experts on this topic.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on. xxxxx
Rachel blowkiss

#1 ICSI Sept 09 - Chem preg
#2 ICSI Nov 09 - Chem preg
#3 ICSI May 10 - BFP: Twins!!! :girl: :boy:

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 6:00pm

hi.

thanks for your reply.

i don't go to the gym, but i do run a small bed and breakfast and i do all the cleaning of the rooms, so i guess i get exercise from doing that, bending down a lot/up and down stairs.

i have been looking at that complan, and maybe that's a good idea.

i take it you weren't told to put on weight?
me - 25 dh - 27
dh sperm ok
ivf our only option
having ICSI

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 6:23pm

i know! it's nothing to be envied if you can't start ivf without putting weight on! we just want to get started and the only thing holding us back is my inability to put weight on!
me - 25 dh - 27
dh sperm ok
ivf our only option
having ICSI

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 7:16pm

I was in a similar position to you before my first baby. I got up to 8 stone. Don't know if it made a difference but all the books/research says that being a "normal" bmi is more conducive to conceiving.

I currently weigh about 59 kilos carrying twins!!!

R x

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

Wednesday, October 14th 2009, 11:30am

hi roxy7,

good to know i'm not the only one out there having to put ON weight, rather than taking it OFF!

how did you put weight on? did you eat more than normal, or did you do any weights?

my husband tells me muscle weighs more than fat, and since i don't have much muscle he said i should start doing sit ups/lifting weights.

what do you think?
me - 25 dh - 27
dh sperm ok
ivf our only option
having ICSI

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Thursday, October 15th 2009, 6:44pm

Hi, well I stopped any hardcore cardio because I get like a whippet if I run (treadmill) and stuck to yoga and walking. The research suggests that cardio exercise is not helpful if you're trying to conceive with ivf anyway, so two good reasons to stop. I ate more frequently and didn't skip meals and I think I was about a pound under 8 stone when I conceived my son. I ate really healthily: I can highly recommend Patrick Holford's books on Optimum Nutrition. I've just ordered the pregnancy one.

It was easier to put on weight once I'd had my lo! I lost all my baby weight in six months through breastfeeding and pushing him around in the pram but once I stopped breastfeeding.... You can eat anything you want breastfeeding but once you stop, if you continue to eat at that rate, you'll soon see your weight creep up :snigger:

Good luck!

R x

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE