You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Calypso

Superstar

• "Calypso" started this thread

Friday, November 21st 2008, 6:19pm

"Abstaining" before EC!

Anyone know how long you are supposed to eh...ehm 'abstain' from [zx068] for before EC? 88) I forgot to ask the nurse!!! She said something about 4 days, but i'm not sure what!!! :duh: xxx

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning how to dance in the rain

Jan 08 Fibroid removed. May 08 IUI - BFN :sadface:
Nov 08 IVF 7 eggs (just one fertilised :sadface: - BFN
May 09 ICSI 1 - 7 eggs (two fertilised) BFN :sadface:
Aug 09 Another fibroid removed
Nov 09 ICSI 2 - 1 mature egg (it fertilised) BFN :sadface:

My journey is now over

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Calypso" (Nov 21st 2008, 6:21pm)

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Friday, November 21st 2008, 6:21pm

RE: "Abstaining" before EC!

Hi Calypso

I believe most say 3 days is optimum!! :eyebrows:

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, November 21st 2008, 6:39pm

agreed maybe she said no more that 4

you could double check with your clinic
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Calypso

Superstar

Friday, November 21st 2008, 6:57pm

Thanks Kar
I've just had a very useful PM discussion about it with Dr Duffy :smile:
I think you're right - no more than 4. Just phoned DH and told him to get home earlier tonight if poss :snigger:- he said he had to check his diary (he is hilarious isn't he :rolleyes:)

Thanks gals!! blowkiss

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning how to dance in the rain

My journey is now over

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 7:46am

I have't had any since I stated d/r :sadface:. I don't feel like it. Maybe now that I'm on the stimm drugs I'll be more up for it........

Reg: Oct 29th 2008

Children: Hewit Centre

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 1:45pm

I havnt had a bit since the DR either....not for the lack of wanting hahahaha
im just too scared but extremely raring to go hahahahaha
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tracey

2angels

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 6:07pm

hi

just wondered how do you count it. my DB going for sperm freezing on wednesday. was told to abstain for no less than 3days, and no more than 7days. so does that make it saturday or sunday? do you count wednesday as day 1??

thanks

:xxx:

Calypso

Superstar

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 6:34pm

Not sure. I think I would count the Wednesday of the freezing as Day 7, and count back from there?

My journey is now over

Reg: Nov 18th 2008

Children: 2 miracle IVF twin girls and 3 miracle surprises!!

What's Up?
Life's hectic but good !!!

Sunday, November 23rd 2008, 5:01pm

Calyspo - My clinic told me for the old swimmers no less than two days and no more than 5 days! I wish they could just tell us a definite day! I think it is hilarious that we spend all this time ttc and then being told to use condoms during DR just in case we fall pregnant. It has made us feel like teenagers again sneaking about. We were so embarrassed buying them shy1.

Andrea you're best bet would be to ring your clinic because I think the dates are so confusing. I ws told recently that the EC day is counted as day zero and the next was day 1 so would do no harm to check to put your mind at ease.
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP
Twins Girls Born August 09 : D
Shock Natural BFP - Oct 12
Baby Girl Born June 13 : D
Shock Natural BFP during DR!! - October 14
Baby Boy Born June 15 : D
Another Shock Natural BFP!
Baby Girl Born January 17 : D
Hmcfeather's Diary of My Brood

Duffymoon

Megastar

Sunday, November 23rd 2008, 5:28pm

Quoted

Originally posted by celtchicky33
hi

just wondered how do you count it. my DB going for sperm freezing on wednesday. was told to abstain for no less than 3days, and no more than 7days. so does that make it saturday or sunday? do you count wednesday as day 1??

thanks

Hi Andrea

If your DH is doing his sperm sample on Wednesday, and you've been told no less then 3 days, then in my mind, that means he needs to have *done the business* at the latest this morning, yesterday, Friday, Thursday or at a push Wednesday.

Hope this makes sense. Like hmcfeather says in her first para, she was told no less than two days. Certainly if he hasn't *done it* since before Wednesday 19th, I would definitely say to do it asap today.

xxx

p.s. hmcfeather - I think you're getting confused with EC to ET days honey! There's information overload in this thread!!

4 x ICSI BFN

What's Up?

Sunday, November 23rd 2008, 5:57pm

Thanks Duffymoon. Of course I mean ET! All so confusing at times - think my IQ has dropped during this whoel process. You may be able to assist me as well with a quick query. My DH has been taking an anitbiotoic for the past few days and it was only after he started it that he thought it might affect his sample. We phoned the clinic and they said to stop it if poss (which he has done) as it might affect it. Do you know what way it might affect it?? Hope we haven't blown our chances for this cycle :bawl:
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP

2angels

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Sunday, November 23rd 2008, 6:04pm

thanks for the advice all

made him *do the business* this morning as i wasnt in the mood!!!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Sunday, November 23rd 2008, 8:11pm

Quoted

Originally posted by hmcfeather
You may be able to assist me as well with a quick query.

Hello again

I couldn't say honey but I've posted your question here LIFE IN THE LAB - FOR ALL OF YOUR SPERM QUESTIONS

Can I ask which antibiotic he was taking? Just in case that's important.

I hope his sperm will be fine and the clinic were just being extra cautious. :cuddle

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN

What's Up?

Sunday, November 23rd 2008, 11:01pm

The anitbiotic is called for tetralysal - it's suposed to be for acne, obviously not what my DH needs it for tho! He has stopped it and will restart them after the sample is given on 8th (fingers crossed!).

Thanks
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, November 24th 2008, 8:12am

Hi hmc

Just saw your reply on life in the lab too. I was going to ask if you're hving ivf or icsi and you've answered that. Like you say, you've got ICSI as a back up.

If your clinic aren't overly concerned then that should give you comfort that all will be well on the day.

Best of luck honey!

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Reg: Jan 29th 2009

Children: Our gorgeous son was born 16/7/2010

Tuesday, September 22nd 2009, 5:23pm

do we need to abstain from bding?

Hi, we are in the early stages of starting our 1st IVF tx. AF has just finished and I have an internal scan on fri with a view to starting suprecur injections a week later. Can anyone tell me if we should be BDing or not? Don't know what to do as clinic haven't said either way. Also, if we should be abstaining does DH need to be 'relieved' :snigger: regularly before egg collection? Would really appreciate some advice. :smile:

Oct/Nov 09 - 1st IVF :BFP:
Jan 2012 - Short Protocol ICSI :BFP:
7 wk scan 2/3/12 One [zx076] seen

Reg: Sep 7th 2009

Children: Oxford

Wednesday, September 23rd 2009, 10:08am

We were advised no less than 2 days and no more than 5.

But now from actual experience the results that we have had as been that 2-3 days seems to be the optimum any more and the sample is much poorer quality, a greater volume but a lower percentage of heathy ones. It seems that they die off after a while so the sample contains a lot of dead ones if you leave it to long.

I had a vasectomy reversal so have had to give many samples over the last 2 years for both analyses post reversal and then for IUI and now our first round of IVF this month. Due to the high number of samples given I have had chance to experiment with various ideas given about what is best and here is what I have found, a bit long but I hope helpful.

• First a zinc supplement helped increase the volume slightly.
  • Reducing caffine and drinking a bit more water than normal also increased volume.

But that didn't really make much difference to the percentage of motile sperm what made the biggest difference was to ensure that ejaculation happened every 3-4 days during the month before the sample is required, this obviously cleared out the dead and old sperm and made sure that those in the sample were fresh but not using the supply faster than new ones were produced.

I also found that when my wife and I made an effort to make things exciting it helped, I know it probably sounds like an excuse for us men to have more fun but it really did make a difference when my wife and I make an effort to add some excitement. Just simple things like sexy lingerie and experimenting with new techniques does wonders for a mans excitement level. I don't know why, perhaps hormone levels go up or just the brain starts to get the idea that the sperm is needed in that it seems to increase the amount produced. The trouble is we both found that it is an emotional time trying to conceive and you start counting days and treating the whole thing like a medical procedure and it soon makes it a bit of a chore for you both and the excitement is lost.

The important thing to remember is that it is the quality more than the quantity that is important. With IUI and standard IVF it is true that the number of sperm is important the more you can produce the better, but it isn't worth anything if most of them are dead or non swimmers. So make sure you have regular ejaculations on the lead up to get rid of the the old boys who have had their day, so they can be replaced with the eager young ones that are good swimmers.

For ICSI the embryologist only needs to be able to extract one good sperm for each egg so the quality is the most important thing. If the man has a low count don't be tempted to leave it a while to increase the volume. Don't abstain for more than 3 days as when going for ICSI you have the chance to make sure you have the very best fresh swimmers as you needn't worry so much about the quantity.

Reg: Sep 7th 2009

Children: Oxford

Wednesday, September 23rd 2009, 10:17am

RE: do we need to abstain from bding?

Quoted

Originally posted by rockchick
Can anyone tell me if we should be BDing or not? Don't know what to do as clinic haven't said either way. Also, if we should be abstaining does DH need to be 'relieved' :snigger: regularly before egg collection? Would really appreciate some advice. :smile:

No you don't need to abstain and in fact it would be beneficial in my experience BDing gives better results than manual relief. I would advise that if for some reason you are not able to BD then your husband should find another way for release after 3 days for best results.

You needn't worry about getting pregnant as usually you will be given something like cetritide that will prevent you from ovulating so that the clinic can control when they collect the eggs.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE