You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 35 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

mrsjasper

Megastar

• "mrsjasper" started this thread

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, March 29th 2007, 8:45pm

Fertility and painkillers

I've been having a quick browse around some of the fertility threads and there is something I wanted to bring to everyones attention.

Painkillers like ibuprofen can affect ovulation. Ibuprofen is from a family of drugs called non steroidal anti inflammatories (NSAIDS). This group includes mefanamic acid (ponstan) often given for period/endometriosis pain, and diclofenac(voltarol) which is often used for joint pain. There are some small scale research studies that show that taking NSAIDS around the time you would normally ovulate can delay or even prevent ovulation. The studies are not all conclusive and when I say small scale, some have only been done on a handful of women but when you are TTC you don't want to take any chances.

A google search on 'NSAIDS and fertility' will bring up the studies if anyone wants to read them.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrsjasper" (Mar 29th 2007, 8:45pm)

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Thursday, March 29th 2007, 9:01pm

thanks mrs j.
i'm also aware that taking ibuprofen just before/ after conception increases the chance of early m/c? was told ONLY to take paracetamol, or codiene with paracetamol if recommended by a gp and very necessary, when ttc

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 29th 2007, 10:13pm

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=n…yUK%7CcountryGB

Here's a link to the Google search that Mrs Jasper has recommended.

I would like to make this sticky but am aware than stickies are often missed so can we bump this over the next few days and then stick it?

Reg: Nov 16th 2006

Wednesday, June 13th 2007, 10:57pm

I'd always stick to just paracetamol to be safe personally

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, June 14th 2007, 8:21am

me too - you know you can also inadvertently become addicted to neurofen/ibuprofen?

if you get regular daily headaches and regularly take at least 2 painkillers a day for it, then chances are you are addicted! 8o

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 35 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE