You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

woodyv

• "woodyv" started this thread

Reg: Jul 23rd 2009

Friday, July 24th 2009, 4:21pm

Help with Motility

Hello,

I'm new to this site and wondered if anyone could help. My husband has low motility, after scouring the net I can't see anyway we can help to improve this, and the doctor didn't give any suggestions. I don't ovulate but am having OD in September. If this does make me ovulate, what are the chances of conceiving naturally with a motility rate of 5%??? ;(

Woody
Woody
partee
DH 29- Low motiliy Me 28-PCOS
Clomid x5 BFN

:BFP:

Dec '09 Au Naturelle, Miracles happen.

xfingers :sticky:

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Friday, July 24th 2009, 4:52pm

RE: Help with Motility

Hi Woody,

Welcome to FZ.

Obviously 5% motility is not good, but it is the quality of that motility and the total number of motile sperm which are also important. Plus you need to be more than average fertile to try to compensate. So make sure that your progesterone is assayed and kept high.

It is very difficult to find any chemical or nutritional means that will guarantee that the sperm will improve, and you will find a lot of posts on FZ talking about improving sperm number and quality, using herbs, minerals, vitamins etc. The only thing that scientifically has been shown to help with motility is zinc, as this is part of the enzyme system which makes sperm motile. Zincomed or Solvazinc are the usually prescribed products, but talk to your pharmacist about alternatives. Take 2-3 times the recommended dose for three months then drop down to the proper dose thereafter. Sperm take 12-14 weeks to develop to maturity, so you will not see any improvement until then, but then organise two semen tests two months apart to see if there has been any response.

It is also important that he ejaculates regularly, every 2-3 days (2-3 times per week) as sperm suffer in quality from being stored. More than a week's abstention and quality goes down. Also ttc 2-3 times per week means you will always have his best sperm inside you when an egg appears, and that you never miss your ovulation.

Good luck,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

woodyv

• "woodyv" started this thread

Reg: Jul 23rd 2009

Monday, July 27th 2009, 6:32pm

Thanks Paul, That's great.

I recently read an article that suggested that rather than the recommended, intercourse every other day, it should be upped to every day during ovulation to give the best sperm quality at the time. Do you think this is true or just stick to every other day and hope that one of the 5% get through?! I don't want to make it worse by having too much of a good thing!
Woody
partee
DH 29- Low motiliy Me 28-PCOS
Clomid x5 BFN

:BFP:

Dec '09 Au Naturelle, Miracles happen.

xfingers :sticky:

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Monday, July 27th 2009, 9:07pm

Hi woodyv - My dp also had poor motility. Once we'd made dietry changes, I fell pregnant very quickly. Perhaps the following thread will be of use:

DPs Diet Plan

(The thread shows details of his diet and his SA results)

best wishes x
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Monday, July 27th 2009, 10:09pm

Hi again,

The danger about everyday ejaculation is that for many men this will quickly produce a low semen volume and by the fourth day, which could happen to be ovulation day, the volume could become too low to efficiently coat the cervix and allow maximal sperm penetration into mucus. Also the vaginal fluid is naturally not the best medium for sperm to be in, and you need a large enough semen volume to dilute down this anti-spermal effect. So every other day still remains the best.

And with due respect to Jen84's 'sperm improvement programme' there is no firm prove that the observed difference between the two semen results two months apart was due to his changed diet. Such a difference is very common and could easily have resulted from his 1st specimen following on from a cold or other problem. A pregnancy was always possible with his original sperm picture, plus two months of treatment would not necessarily produce any real benefits to sperm output. And there is always a danger that following a rigorous protocol for either male or female fertility problems can become stressful, and stress reduces both male and female fertility.

Clearly we are all very happy that they have managed to get a pregnancy, but there always needs to be some care in allocating a causal relational in infertility.

Good luck as always.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE