You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "tia12" started this thread

Reg: Feb 24th 2009

Children: None

Friday, July 24th 2009, 10:02am

Failed ICSI due to poor sperm motility

Hi,

I have just failed my first attempt at ICSI, I got 11 mature eggs and non fertilised due to poor quality sperm. We went to see the embryologist yesterday and they told us they wouldnt recommend another cycle using just his sperm. We dont want just any baby we want our own baby and are not really wanting to use donor sperm or adopt.

I dont really know where to go from here apart from attempting another cycle with just DPs sperm or TTC naturally.

Has anyone else been in this situation before and have any thoughts of what else we could try?

I feel at a bit of a dead end.... :bawl:

xx
TTC 4 & 1/2 yrs
Me 26 & DP 27
Started ICSI 12th June 2009, 16 eggs, 11 mature, all injected but none fertilised due to poor sperm quality

starsmile

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Friday, July 24th 2009, 10:51am

So sorry to hear this....

Hi Tia,

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you. And I can see why you feel you're at a dead end, it really isn't a good outcome for you, and so much to go through for you to then get a zero fertilisation rate... You poor darlings.

I'm no expert my love, so you can probably take what I say with a pinch of salt, but if the embryologist doesn't think the sperm is of a good enough quality to work - then I suspect they are probably correct. And if the sperm cannot be ICSI'ed into an egg to fertilise it, then I would think your chances of concieving naturally are very, very low.

Another try with your DH's sperm is probably a good idea. Nothing ventured hey? but I would just say one thing... And you can tell me to butt out if you like... But when we were first told of our "issues" I was very anti donor sperm or donor eggs. I had set ideas about wanting 2 children, of our own, no compromise - it was just the way it had to be for us. But it's amazing what you can come to terms with if you just give things some time to filter through. In the end we were lucky and managed to scrape through each stage of the IVF with our own eggs and sperm. But now I have faced the possibility of failure and childlessness - I am a lot more open minded to other ways of achieving the end goal. At the start of our journey, I wouldn't even have considered it an option for us.

Maybe it's awful to say that you get worn down by it and end up settling for the best you can hope for, but I think in some ways, it's true. It may not be your first choice, and it would be a difficult thing for your DH to come to terms with, but don't slam the door on donor sperm just yet. Maybe chat to some others who have been through a similar situation. They might be able to provide some angles you haven't thought of. Just take your time with it. No pressure. See how you get on.

You're being really brave, you've had a terribly tough time of it from the sounds of your post. Very, very best of luck to you.

Sarah xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Friday, July 24th 2009, 4:34pm

RE: Failed ICSI due to poor sperm motility

Hi Tia,

With respect, the title of your thread is "Failed ICSI due to poor sperm motility" does not explain what has happened, as there is no need for motility for ICSI to work, in fact they often break the tails of sperm for ICSI, before they inject them.

The reason for your very sad lack of fertilisation is usually unknown, as we usually don't know why good looking eggs fail to fertilise, nor whether it is the sperm or the eggs that are the problem. The drugs used to induce multiple follicular growth (a very abnormal situation for humans) can, for some wmen, result in eggs that don't fertilise, even when those women have previously conceived naturally.

I would feel that it is too soon to switch to donor sperm, a big decision for you to agree to in a hurry, and that another attempt using his sperm would seem justified. In the meantime, whilst you think about this then you certainly need to continue ttc naturally, as pregnancies happen at all the oddest of times, and very often against odds.

Good luck,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

• "tia12" started this thread

Reg: Feb 24th 2009

Children: None

Monday, July 27th 2009, 11:27pm

Thanks Sez, DP has started his acupuncture so xfingers we should hopefully get better results next time!!

Thanks for your post Paul me and DP were very pleased you pointed that out as to be honest we hadnt stepped back to look at it logically but as you say ICSI is specifically been brought in to help people with poor sperm motility so we need to ask why we are being told its not worth another attempt with DP's sperm! We have started acupuncture, not sure what your views are on that? and hopefully this will improve his sperm motility for our next SA and then soon we should be ready for another attempt at ICSI but only with DP's sperm.....sometimes it makes me think if they actually realise that we will do anything to have a baby and it doesnt matter if I have to have 30 cycles of ICSI I will keep going!!
TTC 4 & 1/2 yrs
Me 26 & DP 27
Started ICSI 12th June 2009, 16 eggs, 11 mature, all injected but none fertilised due to poor sperm quality

starsmile

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, July 28th 2009, 6:16pm

A very sensible decision for you both.

I have a high regard for acupuncture and use it for my own patients - so yes, he should give it a good try.

Lots of luck.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE