Unread posts
  • "Wee Janey" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 7:49am

Advice Please - Blood in Semen

Hi there,

Im looking for some advice.

We had EC on Thursday and DHs sample was pinky - so rather worried.

His count has also dropped in the samples he has given over the last 2 months (we had to have ICSI on Thursday).

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Its a 2 ww for a doc app so some advice would be very welcome.

thanks

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 9:04am

RE: Advice Please - Blood in Semen

Hi W-Janey,

Finding blood in semen is not that uncommon, and it is rarely of any great importance, and does not continue. Firstly you need to confirm that it is blood, as colourings in food, e.g. beetroot and Indian meals, can colour semen pink. I am assuming that your ICSI did not involve sperm retrieval prior to the ICSI. Blood usually gives the specimen a smokey pink rather than a bright pink. Get to see a copy of the report, which should confirm whether this is blood or not.

Trauma whilst doing the specimen is one option, it is easy to rupture a little blood vessel along the tract, rather like finding blood in saliva after coughing. Infection can also cause the genital tract to be inflamed and more likely to bleed during the passage of the semen. This is the commonest reason. I assume that this was the specimen that was used for the ICSI, so it must have been felt to be normal enough be used for this purpose.

Blood in semen happens from time to time and if it does not re-occur then it can be ignored. If it persists then it may indicate a on-going seminal tract or prostatic infection, which may need to be investigated and treated. Such an infection is not one that he has caught from somewhere else, self infection is the normal situation-rather like an infected appendix or intermittent vaginal thrush, it is a flare up in one of the natural population of bacteria in the area.

He could try doing another specimen for your own information. You need to have a semen container, or obtain one from the chemist or practice nurse. If a repeat specimen looks the same, arrange to have this examined through the GP practice. If it looks normal, then don't worry about it.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

• "Wee Janey" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 7:17pm

Hi Paul,

thanks for your post, i will contact the clinic to ask if def was blood.

You have put both our minds at ease so can stop worrying so much until we get more info.

Our ICSI did not require sperm retreival - we were unsure until the day if they would do ICSI as his previous sample was ICSI grade but all previous had been ok

Many thanks

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Sunday, April 26th 2009, 11:39am

Hi Janey, an ex colleague once had blood in his semen and was very very concerned (so much so that he even told me!) but it was a one off odd occasion, and he now has two little children. So as Paul says, it can be pretty common and of no concern unless it keeps on happening. Best of luck with your testing in two weeks! x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE