You are not logged in.

Unread posts

dondon

• "dondon" started this thread

Reg: Aug 28th 2008

Monday, April 6th 2009, 11:08am

could my past be the reason *sensitive*

Hi there.

I have been trying for a baby since 2007 with no luck and am about to start Clomid as we have been told we have unexplained infertility. I do Ovulate.

In 1996 I had a termination and I am wondering if this might have caused something to go wrong? I had an HSG last month and they say that my tubes are clear. My Blood tests have all been fine, my OH's sperm test came back as Satisfactory.

Am just wondering if I should ask them to take a look at the HSG again to see if there is any scarring etc which may be the reason why I am not able to get pregnant? Obviously I have manage to get pregnant before but it wasn't to be.

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, April 6th 2009, 4:16pm

Hi hun

My understanding is that it is extremely rare for a previous termination to cause problems for your future fertility. Also a HSG will not show up any scarring, a hysteroscopy would be more likely to show up any possible problems with your uterus. Have you spoken to your consultant about your fears?

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

dondon

Monday, April 6th 2009, 4:20pm

Hiya - I've not really had a chance. Has all been very 'bish bosh' in and out and then prescribed Clomid?

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, April 6th 2009, 4:31pm

They can make you feel a bit that way you go in, is there anyone at your fertility clinic that you can phone? Even if you phone up your con secretary to ask, its worth it even if all they do is put your mind at ease.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

dondon

Monday, April 6th 2009, 4:33pm

thank you - I will do that. there is one nice woman who was lovely to me when I was worrying about my blood tests. Not sure why I have put a stray '?' in my lat post BTW! :D

Reg: Mar 17th 2009

Monday, April 6th 2009, 6:25pm

Hi Dondon,

Just wanted to let you know that a cousin of mine had a termination a few years ago, she was in a relationship but they were having problems, her health wasn't great at the time and a termination was the only way she could go. Since then she has gotton pregnant and the termination did not effect her in any way physically that is.

Its not an easy decision for any woman to make and she still thinks about it but everyone close to her supported her and this help her a lot. Don't think that this is the reason as you will only eat yourself up and stress is a very real thing and can effect your fertility.

Hugs
Vonnie
XX

Me- 36 Dh-46 ttc 5+ yrs
Diagnosed PCOS Aug 08.
On Metformin Sept 08- 1000mg
Feb 09-1500mg
Wt loss- 49lbs
First clinic appt- May 09.

[zx145]

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Monday, April 6th 2009, 11:34pm

Hi Dondon,

Do you know that 40% of women in the 30's have had at least one termination - so you are not far short of being normal in that respect. Most of those women go on to have their babies in due course, without any delay. Those who do have a delay, for whatever reason, will, as all couples do, start to look for reasons for this - and those who have had a TOP then start to brood and feel guilty about this. Totally inappropriately I have to say.

Unexplained infertility is very common and you need to pursue this thoroughly. But if your tubes were shown to be patent at laparoscopy then this is not the problem, and you should stop worrying about that side of things.

If you start to feel that you are becoming too emotionally distressed by your past termination then this stress can start to become a factor in diminishing your fertility. Before this gets too bad you must to talk to somebody such as a post-abortion counsellor. PM me if you want to know more about this. I used to run a fertility unit for an abortion service, would you believe - odd combination I know!! So I know what I am talking about.

Please contact me if you wish to talk more.

Paul

XX
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

dondon

Tuesday, April 7th 2009, 9:41am

Thanks for your kind words and for not judging me. I have only had an HSG not a laparoscopy and have been prescribed Clomid which I start taking next cycle (in about a week) so I will try to relax and hope that it works.

thanks Paul for your offer of help. Having the termination was a choice I was ok with making and it was many years ago and isn't causing me stress emotionally reall, just kind of wondering medically that's all. I had to tell my partner about it which I really didn't want to do as it was so long ago, almost another lifetime, and I didn't think it was relevant to our relationship. That was quite hard for me to do but he was fine with it.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE