You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 13 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

reb2009

• "reb2009" started this thread

Reg: Mar 14th 2009

Saturday, March 14th 2009, 6:00pm

questions about azospermia/investigations

my dh has recently been diagnosed with azospermia after 2 SA that showed no sperm count. we wanted to know about others experiences with the ultrasound as do these usually show if there are any blockages. also he has normal FSH and LH blood tests. has never had any injury or illness that could have affected it. was really out of the blue.
does anyone know if ear problems treated with anti biotics can affect long term sperm production?
also with normal FSH and LH levels we have been told there is a 60-70% chance of finding sperm when he has biopsy any advice with this???
thanks in advance.

Reg: Oct 30th 2008

Saturday, March 14th 2009, 6:20pm

hiya my df has azoospermia and his hormone levels were also fine,my df has recently had an ultrasound scan and we are getting the results next month, i think they are very good at showing blockages etc. as for finding sperm i think the hormones being normal are usually a good sign that the body is producing sperm and it just cant get out but thats not 100%. i bet the waiting is driving you mad it's the hardest part but i'm glad you have found this site as it is a great support if you need to chat or have any questions feel free to pm me xxx
Dh-Azoospermia...waiting to start our DIUI journey

reb2009

Saturday, March 14th 2009, 6:52pm

thanks for your reply. must be hard to wait for ultrasound results thought they would tell you there and then. hope the wait goes quick for you x

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, March 14th 2009, 9:24pm

RE: questions about azospermia/investigations

Quoted

Originally posted by reb2009
my dh has recently been diagnosed with azospermia .....he has normal FSH and LH blood tests. ...does anyone know if ear problems treated with anti biotics can affect long term sperm production.....also with normal FSH and LH levels we have been told there is a 60-70% chance of finding sperm .

Hi to you both,

The finding of normal hormone levels in azoospermia indicates that he has an obstructive problem - either one he was born with, such as having no vas for the passage of sperm, or one that he acquired during his lifetime, such as an infection from the prostate gland. In effect he has an involuntary vasectomy, and this, like a vasectomy, can sometimes be remedied with surgery.

However sperm production suffers when there has been a prolonged blockage so that any sperm that can be released, or recovered, are usually of poor quality, i.e sluggish or inactive, and of distorted shape. They are rarely able to fertilise from intercourse, and need to be injected i.e. IVF followed by ICSI. They may also be coated with antisperm antibodies. Although chemicals can damage sperm production this would not have happened as a result of his ear infection and its treatment.

Ultra-sound can be useful in discovering why and where there has been a blockage. But I would not have put the chances of recovering sperm at as high as 60-70%, and then you still have the problem of getting any recovered sperm to produce a pregnancy. However you need to ensure that whoever does the biopsy, then has facilities to freeze and store these sperm so that they are not wasted. A pregnancy is possible with luck and effort.

Kind regards,

Paul

XX
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

reb2009

Saturday, March 14th 2009, 11:43pm

hi paul
thank you for your advice, it comes as a shock that we will probably have a small chance in finding healthy sperm from the biopsy. do the nhs usually do more to look into it after the biopsy?
is hard as dh never had any reason to think there would be problem, has been healthy and fit. suppose is just one of those things.

in your experience with this kind of problem does the sperm re make every 3 months and what quality can they be?

also would our only option be ivf + icsi??

thank you very much in advance

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 13 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE