You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "kimarie" started this thread

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Saturday, March 28th 2009, 12:56pm

Sperm Antibodies and egg fertilisation

My OH had a repeat SA on monday and found normal count but a high level of antibodies and I was just wondering when we go through ICSI does the antibodies make any difference to fertilisation success?

We were given a 40% chance of success at the consultation, slightly higher than the average for the clinic and I was wondering whether this is because the sperm once taken away from the antibodies is actually ok? Or whether its because I am normally fertile?
Natural :BFP: with sperm antibodies

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "kimarie" (Mar 28th 2009, 1:03pm)

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, March 28th 2009, 7:00pm

RE: Sperm Antibodies and egg fertilisation

Hi Kimarie,

To a degree the swim up procedure to prepare the sperm for IVF will tend to select the better, less antibody-coated sperm. Some of these will still have antibody but less so. Depending upon where the antibody is, head, tail, midpiece or several sites, will influence the binding of sperm to an egg, but because your sperm will bypass this stage and be put directly into the egg then even this will not be a problem. So the picture looks good.

Good luck to you both.

Paul

xx
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Saturday, March 28th 2009, 8:43pm

Thank you Paul, much appreciated xx

Reg: May 5th 2008

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 5:10pm

How do you know if sperm has antibodies. My dh has all the tests possible.. i think! How do they check for antibodies, is this a regular test that clinics do?

Bunnyx

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 5:43pm

We had a normal SA and they just said there were lots of antibodies. It was at a fertility clinic rather than a hospital though, the NHS hospital just told us the sperm was bad and nothing about antibodies.

Worth the £50 tbh:)

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE