You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 31 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "whereangels" started this thread

Reg: Nov 19th 2008

Children: None

Friday, December 19th 2008, 3:00pm

Are there minimum levels for SA for ICSI?

Hi Everyone

Sorry for the confusing title but I couldn't think how else to ask the question!

Basically my DP has only 1mil/ml count, 8% forward progressive motility and 99% abnormalities. I am fine.

So far we have had conflicting advice given from doctors and consultants but we are just waiting for our referral appointment in liverpool with the proper fertility consultant. We have been told on two occasions now to consider adoption and donor sperm which is a little disheartening at such an early stage.

Does anyone know if there are minimum requirements for ICSI? I am a bit worried that with all the abnormalities that we are not even going to have a chance at this?

So grateful for any advice as my doctors do not seem to know the answer!

vanessa xx

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Friday, December 19th 2008, 3:58pm

Hi Vanessa,

Technically you only need 1 decent sperm for ICSI,

I wouldn't worry too much my DH SA sounds very similar to yours except he was only able to produce .5ml with about 1 m/ml also and dr said that was fine for ICSI

My DH found it very difficult to give samples so we got a SS frozen just to take the pressure off when it comes the big day.

Wish you all the very best

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Friday, December 19th 2008, 4:10pm

P.s

This might not be my place to say but I found my FC dr a bit too easy to give in as we were also told donor was looking like our only option but I fought for another SA which is just as well as it was his best one he had given.

Never give up hun and I don't believe the dr's have all the answers all of the time

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Friday, December 19th 2008, 4:30pm

RE: Are there minimum levels for SA for ICSI?

Hi Whereangels

Sorry to hear you've been given conflicting advice along the way. Hopefully your fertility consultant will be able to tell you for sure exactly what this SA implies.

I'm afraid I don't know about minimum requirements, obviously count and motility aren't important with ICSI as they literally inject one sperm. Of course they'll need to inject sperm that is *normal* and my guess is that this is why the donor sperm advice has come up in light of the 99% abnormalities.

We have a thread here LIFE IN THE LAB - FOR ALL OF YOUR SPERM QUESTIONS where you may want to ask the same question.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help, but there may be others along who have more experience regarding abnormal sperm morphology.

:hugs:

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

• "whereangels" started this thread

Reg: Nov 19th 2008

Children: None

Friday, December 19th 2008, 6:10pm

Thanks so much for the replies, so nice to have a bit of good advice!

Pamela: It's good to hear that you and your DH have managed to get the treatment, all fingers crossed for you. I completely understand about the having to fight for things aswell, I don't know how many phone calls I had to make just to get the referral letter sent, I don't think the secretary liked me very much in the end but I am sorry..she was useless!! My thinking is that even if there is the slightest chance, it is our right to be able to take it, but I was panicking a little thinking that we would get to Liverpool and then be told that they won't be able to go ahead with treatment.
If you don't mind me asking..how is your DH taking all this? Although we already knew there was a chance that there would be none as my DP had testicular cancer a few years ago, he found it really hard to get his head around the fact that it was down to him that we couldn't conceive naturally.

Duffymoon: Thank you for the link, I will definitely have a look through that thread, I hadn't noticed it before. It is similar to what I thought regarding the high percentage of abnormalities being the main factor working against us. I guess I will see what I can find out regarding this. Thanks again and good luck with your tx coming up in the new year.

vanessa xxx

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 31 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE