• "Mavis" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 5:58pm

Help! My TNF is 37!

My TNF is 37.
At least my two early losses weren't caused by excessive toffee crisp consumption :sadface:

We only found out the results a little while ago, and we are still deciding what to do. I have my d/r spray here, ready for action. But if we follow the clinic's advise and do humira, we will have to delay starting IVF for 1-2 months.

I had a nice job lined up in June (working in a busy hospital). I won't be able to take time off for IVF appts. I'd also not want to be taking humira during that time - I will be exposed to TB etc.

I'll be an occupational health nightmare!

Would it be crazy to spend $12000 on an IVF cycle at the ARGC without doing humira? Would it be a lost cause?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Many thanks,
wtw
xxx

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Reg: Aug 28th 2007

Children: One due in Jan, 10.

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 7:08pm

Sorry Willo it must be such a dillema. I havent actually bought the de beer book. So cant comment on significance of the level whether it is too high or slightly high. What do your clinic recommend? It is a difficult decision and I would do what causes the least regret later on. I hope this helps.

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 7:17pm

RE: Help! My TNF is 37!

Hi Willo

Sorry only just seen this :cuddle

One word to say........SNAP!.... Well .....36.6 to be precise as you know (though theory is that humira will continue to work and thus bring it down).

mmmmm it's a tough call honey and one that I dare say you've given much thought to. Why not read your thread Has anyone said NO to immune testing/Humira? to weigh up the pros and cons again. I'd love to be able to say it worked for me but in terms of having a baby....I've no idea just now xfingers

I'm sure you will have seen this link honey http://repro-med.net/tests/th1th2.php which explains it very well...

Would you be mad to spend £x pounds without taking Humira.....i don't think so. from what i was told...having a high tnf doesn't mean you won't get pregnant but your chances are reduced.

The thing I found most interesting and not sure if it's in that article or not was the information about high tnf and quality of eggs. Do you have Beer's book?

Happy to chat to you honey if it would help though I am biased in favour of humira.....for now anyway!!!

xx

p.s. were the rest of your results ok?

p.p.s Rightans - the upper limit for TNF is 32

*SITE NOT ENDORSED BY FZ*

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

deedee1

Reg: May 23rd 2008

Children: 1 beautiful daughter

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 10:21pm

Hi Willow,

So you did the tests!. I don't know the answer, and am in a similar quandry myself - don't know what to make of my results.

I'm sure you'll decide the right course of action :D

Reg: Feb 28th 2007

Children: Not yet

Friday, February 20th 2009, 8:12am

Hi WTW

My TNF levels were 36 like yours, I did two injections of Humira (Over a month) and they came down to 21 I think....I was told not to try to conceive until I had retested.

Beer says that anything over 40 can contribute to egg damage and he likes to get them below 30. It's a difficult decision to make...There are so many women who have decided not to take Humira and still had successful pregnancies. It's a personal choice.

Me personally, I don't think I would take it again, it's expensive and unless my levels were incredibly high I wouldn't bother. There are other options that can help lower TH1/TH2. IVIG / intralipids may help, has your consultant mentioned this?

XX
TTC naturally, five miscarriages 2006-2009, Immune issues

BLONDIE'S IMMUNOLOGY DIARY

honey

Star

Reg: Aug 21st 2007

Friday, February 20th 2009, 9:28am

Hi WTW

I just saw this, gosh what a dilemma - Im so sorry this is happening just when you're all set to start a cycle :sadface:

Im afraid I don't know anything about those test/results - but Duffy and Blondie are the experts on this so I really hope they can help with your decision :cuddle

You mention that ARGC would like you to do the humeria - did you ask if they would still be happy to treat you if you decide against it this time ?(

:hugs: Willo, Im feeling for you, I know what its like to have the start of Tx delayed when you've got other stuff planned around it :cuddle

blowkiss

Me 37 (high FSH, low AMH and only one ovary) DH 41
1st ICSI BFP (Ectopic)
2nd ICSI BFN
3rd ICSI BFN

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Friday, February 20th 2009, 9:41am

what a decision, WTW!

Can I just ask.....you say two early losses are accounted for by the high TNF. But your sad, earlier loss presumably isn't :sadface:
Is the suggestion that there has been an increase in your TNF since your first loss? Or, could you have had high TNF when you got pg the first time?
If it is the latter then I guess, whilst the indications may eb a reduced chance, you have beaten the odds before.....so a round of tx without humira is not a crazy idea.
Am I making any sense? Apologies if I'm not!

xxx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Mavis

• "Mavis" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, February 22nd 2009, 8:56pm

Thank you so much everyone for your replies!
That was a stressful day...

DH was so mad - he didn't want to do the immune testing because he knew they would find something and he didn't want us to take/pay for the immune drugs. Drama!
In the end, we discussed with our "investors" (my in-laws are helping pay for ARGC). They advised us to take the drugs. They told us to trust the doctors (never!) and so long as the side-effects are short-term, we should do it.

Therefore, my first jab is on Tuesday. DH is resigned to the fact, and I am a little bit nervous.

Rightans - the clinic keep saying my level of 37 is only slightly high, but it definitely seems to be in the "high enough to be treated" category.

Duffy - I was too scared to read in your diary about the actual injections, but I read enough to get the impression that the jabs and the aftereffects were not particularly lovely. I'm scared! And I'm in denial about the rest of my results - they mentioned CD something or other being slightly raised. I will ask for a copy of the results next week (didn't want it before the weekend because I don't have the self-control to stop Googling myself stupid all weekend!)

Deedee - I do hope we are doing the right thing. At least our investors are happy!

Blondie - I think my eggs are ok? Only because they've had 100% fertilization rate, which surprised the docs because I might have an endometrioma which apparently is bad for eggs. Unfortunately ARGC don't do intralipids, they do IVIG though, its just so expensive. Because I weigh in at well over 10 stone, it would cost about £1500 per go, with a minimum of two goes. I am going to try and lose some weight just in case we do need IVIG!

Honey - the clinic said they would treat me without Humira (but I wonder if they are only saying that because of what happened with Panorama :snigger:). I never saw the episode, but I think they were convincing an undercover reporter to take IVIG without even asking her how long she had been trying to get pregnant. Oops. I did get the impression from other ARGC gals in here that Mr T, the big boss of the clinic, would not be happy if immune treatment was refused.

Jen - I don't know if my TNF was high for pregnancy number 1, I guess it might have been and I still managed to become pregnant. I think even though humira has not been proven to reduce the risk of a biochemical pregnancy, if I had another early loss, I would blame myself if I hadn't taken the humira. Not rational, I just know I would.

A very big thank you to you all again.
Thank you for being there!
Much love,
wtw
xxx
blowkiss

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

honey

Star

Reg: Aug 21st 2007

Monday, February 23rd 2009, 8:04am

Well done Willo looks like you thought it through very carefully and you're comfortable with your decision clap and Good luck with the humeria jab tomorrow

blowkiss

Me 37 (high FSH, low AMH and only one ovary) DH 41
1st ICSI BFP (Ectopic)
2nd ICSI BFN
3rd ICSI BFN

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Monday, February 23rd 2009, 8:06am

good luck with everything WTW xxx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, February 23rd 2009, 8:20am

Hi Willo

Best of luck with the jab tomorrow - hope the video helped!

Let us know the other results - I'll be interested in them....I had CD something or other raised too but it was dismissed as not important! The lovely Blondie is the best person to speak to with any queries.

Sorry your IVF has been postponed though honey :cuddle

xxx

p.s. I take it you haven't had to have a chest xray before taking it? I know Blondie didn't have to

Quoted

If you had BCG at school (the one that leaves a scar on your arm) then I believed you were covered against TB. I was told I didn't need the blood test or x-ray because of this....
You had BCG right Willo?

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Reg: Feb 28th 2007

Children: Not yet

Monday, February 23rd 2009, 8:51am

Good luck with the Humira. I didnt really have any side effects other than a few headaches :D

x
TTC naturally, five miscarriages 2006-2009, Immune issues

BLONDIE'S IMMUNOLOGY DIARY

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE