You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 7 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "kimarie" started this thread

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 10:16pm

Female checks when its m/f

Just thought about this...

My Oh was diagnosed with very low sperm count so we decided to book a private consultation at an IVF clinic without considering there would be a problem with me, do I need to go to my GP and get checked out? Will the clinic be expecting me to have alreayd been checked? I know I will be getting a scan and blood tests there

I ovulate and have normal 35 dayish cycles and dont seem to have any problems?

Just a bit confused as we jumped straight to a private clinic without hanging around and wasting time with the nhs and maybe ive missed something out?
Natural :BFP: with sperm antibodies

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 10:31pm

RE: Female checks when its m/f

Dear Kimarie,

It is very easy to blame the low sperm count for all of a couple's problems. Low sperm counts regularly get babies if the quality and motility of the sperm are good, AND if the woman is sufficiently fertile to make the best of these sperm. It might take a little longer because of the fewer sperm, but babies happen.

It can save money, but often wastes time going through your GP, and you don't always get the right information from the practice about the results. I would hope that the unit you are going to would look at you from scratch as an infertile couple, and investigate you both fully, to determine what is going wrong, and the most suitable approach for you.

It is up to you to ensure that this does happen rather than being shunted in IVF, which is not an easy, or a guaranteed successful route to a pregnancy. A 35 day cycle is not too much of a problem ( although longer cycles than this tend not to be very fertile), but it does mean that even if you are ovulation well each cycle, you only have 10 cycles per year to conceive in, rather than 13 with a 28 day cycle, and this reduces your chances.

This can often be remedied so ask about whether you would benefit from going on to Clomid, to shorten and stabilise your cycle.

So don't be afraid to ask your questions and query what you are being told.

Good luck,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

• "kimarie" started this thread

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 10:43pm

Well he also has poor motility and what is there is mainly deformed and we were told we would have no chance conceiving naturally so I thought we might as well go straight to IVF without wasting anymore time. Especially as it was so difficult and took 2 months to get my OHs SA results and even then they didnt give us much help, info or advice.

I am 20 if that makes any difference?:)

Thank you for the advice, will ask about clomid.
Natural :BFP: with sperm antibodies

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 10:52pm

Good luck, and keep in touch.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 11th 2008

Children: 1 wee lad

Friday, February 20th 2009, 11:27am

i went to the GP after over a year of ttc#1 with no success, it turned out i wasnt ovulating (i was a fat bloater back then). clomid seems to have sorted that issue out and i have lost loads of weight.

but while i was starting to be investigated it was decided that DF had MALE FACTOR issues and they refused to look into my issues anymore - saying IVF/ICSI would bypass any issues i might have!!!

i fought to get my laparoscopy as i couldnt live without knowing for sure i was ok inside - which i am, thankfully!!

paul has great advice
i really dont want to go down the IVF/ICSI route but we have been given no other option!

if you are to be given clomid you should be monitored at least on the 1st cycle. good luck asking for it!

Ex: 4xICSI = 2x BFP(2x m/c) + 2x BFN
met my awesome BF lurve in sept 2012
Shock natural :BFP: May2013

arrived early (high BP & pre eclampsia) by EMCS at 35+6
baby4 home safe on Xmas day

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 7 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE