You are not logged in.

Unread posts

mrsmoo

• "mrsmoo" started this thread

Reg: Dec 16th 2008

Children: 1 daughter 7

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 12:47pm

What happens if no sperm retreived?

My DH and I are just about to embark on IVF using PESE/TESE (Sp?), following failed reversal.

Having read other posts, I was wondering what happens if when I go in to have my eggs collected, and he has his reteival done at the same time, there are no viable sperm to use?

Is it common for this to happen? Is there anyway of finding this out beforehand?

We have our first consult next week so pretty excited and nervous, I will ask this question then as well but wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 2:27pm

RE: What happens if no sperm retreived?

Hi,

The Unit should normally do the retrieval attempts in advance of your commencing IVF, and then they will store the sperm in liquid nitrogen ready for when your cycle is started. If they are planning to do ICSI (sperm injection into eggs) then it will not matter if the sperm that they obtain are not particularly motile, otherwise they will need to recover motile (active) sperm) and to check that these sperm survive the freezing process adequately.

Obviously if sperm cannot be retrieved either from the epididymis or the testicle even after a couple of attempts, and this is unusual in post-vasectomy situations, then your side of the treatment cannot go ahead.

The only other approach, which is not usual these days, is to have donor sperm available to use, in case on the day they are unable to obtain sperm. But this is a very different situation which needs to be discussed well in advance, and might not be acceptable to you both.

Have all your questions ready for your next meeting, and don't be frightened to ask them.

Good luck,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

maybe-if

Reg: Nov 1st 2008

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 12:47pm

Care Nottingham can also offer an alternative solution. They are now licensed to freeze your eggs (egg vitrification) if no sperm is found. That way you aren't rushed into the decision to use donor sperm, without first coming to terms with having no sperm of your own.

At the moment only 3 clinics in the UK as far as I'm aware are licensed for egg freezing, it's a very new but very successful procedure.
Me: 33, no known problems
DH: 33, Azoospermia, SSR and one vial frozen

Now pregnant through ICSI with twins!

mrsmoo

• "mrsmoo" started this thread

Reg: Dec 16th 2008

Children: 1 daughter 7

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 1:56pm

Thanks Paul and many congratulations to you Maybe-if on your twins!

If DH were to have his sperm frozen at the beginning, are they at risk of being less successful than if they are 'fresh' straight from him into my egg. I read that statistically frozen eggs dont fair as well as fresh ones but wondered if the same applied to sperm?

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 7:47pm

Hi,

It is true that retrieved sperm are less likely to stay motile during freezing if their initial motility is not good. But with good ICSI technique it does not matter that they are not very, or at all motile - the DNA you need is in the head and the tail is only a means of getting the head to the eggs. Microinjection is a way around motility.

Egg storage is another option as has been suggested but this would mean switching units and perhaps having to pay out more money than you need. So talk to your unit before you make any decisions, and see what their plans are for you.

Paul
xx
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE